Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-24-2011, 05:59 PM   #1
Elucidarius
Elucidarius began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
List of Languages

I have some books in Low German (ISO-code "nds) which I'd like to tag separately from the High German ones. I think the appropriate tag in Calibre would be "German; Low".

Where would I propose this to be included in an upcoming release?
Or would it be possible to make the list of accepted language-tags editable? This would actually my preferred solution, as I'll probably want to differentiate other languages, too.
Elucidarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 09:24 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The languages field is restricted to the list of ISO 639-1 recognized languages. That cannot be changed. If you need a lot of languages outside this list, then your best bet is to use a custom column.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:22 AM   #3
Elucidarius

Not to be dogmatic but you must be using ISO 639-2, not -1.
Looking at the list of ISO 639-2 I found out that "Low German" also is dubbed "Low Saxon" there, and "Saxon; Low" is actually in Calibre, one just has to start writing "Sax…".
Problem solved, thanks!

I'd only suggest, that you change the displayed name for "nds" to "German; Low" when you get around to it -- I suppose that "Low Saxon" is counterintuitive not just for me, but for most users, especially those from other provinces than Lower Saxony, where the language is used, too.
And it would be nice to have it pop up, when one starts with writing "German", as the other subsets do.

As for further differentiation, I'll take your advice and use tags!
Old 11-25-2011, 06:51 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Right you are, it is -2 not -1. I can never keep them straight

In which language is it Lower Saxon? English?
Old 11-25-2011, 07:34 AM   #5
Elucidarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Right you are, it is -2 not -1. I can never keep them straight

In which language is it Lower Saxon? English?
"Low Saxon" is an alternative name for "Low German" in English, probabaly coined after Dutch usage. Also the abbreviation "nds" is a bit strange...

The list on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ISO_639-2_codes is correct as far as I can see, also with regard to the native names. In German it would be "Plattdeutsch" or "Niederdeutsch".

As both native names translate to "Low German", "Low Saxon" is not what comes to mind for most native speakers and the term is also used ambigously cf http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_Saxon.

Sorry to keep you with side issues like that!
Old 11-25-2011, 08:53 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

OK, I have changed it for the next release.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:09 PM   #7
Mixx
Zealot
Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3
Kovid,

I'd like to point out that just 3 tweaks down calibre uses for

locale_for_sorting

ISO 639-1 codes. This is a bit confusing. Maybe you want to consider to settle for either (I suggest ISO 639-2).

Regards, Mixx
Mixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:00 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

ISO 639-2 codes should also work for that setting, though I haven't tested them.