Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-07-2011, 02:00 AM   #16
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
The Kobo Touch's file system seems to be extraordinary more delicate than Kobo Wifi. If they made it as robust as Kobo Wifi file system it would be much better.

I have noticed and appreciate major improvements of Kobo Touch with new software updates and only needs just a little more improved robustness.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:20 AM   #17
jeffry
jeffry began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
I started having the same issue with my Touch a couple of days ago. I'm also in firmware 1.9.9. It seems to have started after I checked out a book from the library. The book reads fine but, whenever I power up, it asks to do a factory reset.

I guess I need to pull the book off and see if that clears it up...
jeffry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:42 AM   #18
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
You could use this online tool to determine whether the EPUB file contains errors.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:40 AM   #19
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
I have had the Factory Reset error for the past few days. As I was away without access to my computer I kept cancelling it. Today I have reset it and reloaded all my books from Kobo and then just a few from Calibre but I immediately had the error again.
I am now in the process of reloading my Kobo books again - I have 70 so it takes a while.
I am quite nervous about loading any of my books from Calibre but that's where most of my books are! I have always been very carefull when ejecting the kobo - I eject from Calibre and then wait 1 minute and check using the windows disconnect before removing the usb cord.
I know my epubs are fine as the ones I loaded were purchased from Borders and are very happy on my iPad and original kobo. They just don't want to be on the Touch.

I am about to open a ticket with Kobo but they are aware of this situation and vaguely encouraging emails seem to be the only response so far.

What are people doing about this? Do I just continue to ignore the error? I was really loving my Touch but now I'm starting to wonder if I have made a mistake...
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:11 AM   #20
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
The "Get satisfaction" thread on the kobo support page has over 60 replies so it seems to be a common error. I have logged my call too - no response yet but I logged it late Friday so I wasn't expecting anything.

I have been ignoring the error (pressed cancel) and I'm still able to read. After spending the weekend ignoring it, I bit the bullet last night and did the reset - spent ages like you reloading all my books, setting up my account etc. But, touch wood, the error went away. I am going to be very careful next time I side load a book using calibre or ADE.
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:43 AM   #21
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks pippa - there is at least some comfort in knowing that lots of people have this error. I'm sure Kobo is working on it but it's a bit of a concern that it is taking so long to find a fix.
I have a library book and I'm about to try ADE to load it. If that doesn't work I won't be able to read it (other than on the computer - yuck!) so it's worth a try.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:52 AM   #22
kklee
kklee is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyB View Post

What are people doing about this? Do I just continue to ignore the error? I was really loving my Touch but now I'm starting to wonder if I have made a mistake...
I got tired of reloading my non Kobo books, so I put them on a Micro SD card and stopped using Calibre to load to the KT. A little more hassle to pop the card out and use a card reader, but no problems since I've been doing it this way.
kklee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:07 AM   #23
p_a_smith
Me, Myself, but not I
p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Acer 200, Asus FHD, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kklee View Post
I got tired of reloading my non Kobo books, so I put them on a Micro SD card and stopped using Calibre to load to the KT. A little more hassle to pop the card out and use a card reader, but no problems since I've been doing it this way.
Actually if you are using windows you can plug your KT in and transfer things directly to the micro SD card with drag and drop. The sd card shows up as another drive usually the letter after the KT itself.
p_a_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:41 AM   #24
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
I just had this happen to me today when I plugged it in to charge....

I've gotten a few free books from the Kobo library, two purchased books, and some books(and other things) that I either had in epub format or converted with Calibre.

I transferred the third party stuff by either directly copying to my uSD card using a reader or downloading from Calibre content server using the onboard browser.
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:53 PM   #25
HarleyB
Fanatic

Thanks for the SD card and direct loading suggestions. I'm not sure why I didn't think of that myself.
Perhaps I'm in denial! I really wanted my Touch to be perfect and when I got the second storage error after spending so long reloading my books I almost cried. My mind went blank...

I'm feeling much better this morning (amazing what a good night's sleep will do) and ready to get this organised.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:48 PM   #26
ubervexed
ubervexed began at the beginning.

Calibre Work Around

My experience is that certain chars (underscore, and multiple periods) in the book filename triggers the Factory Reset message. Sending a filename that contains these characters to the Touch can be prevented by changing a Calibre setting:

Select Preferences, then Sending bools to devices

Change Save template from {author_sort}/{title} - {authors} to {author_sort[0]}/{id}

This will ensure that both the directory and filename created on the Touch are innocuous.
ubervexed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:43 PM   #27
jeffry
jeffry began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubervexed View Post
My experience is that certain chars (underscore, and multiple periods) in the book filename triggers the Factory Reset message. Sending a filename that contains these characters to the Touch can be prevented by changing a Calibre setting:

Select Preferences, then Sending bools to devices

Change Save template from {author_sort}/{title} - {authors} to {author_sort[0]}/{id}

This will ensure that both the directory and filename created on the Touch are innocuous.
Wow! That sounds like a bug that needs to be fixed! Hope the Kobo devs are on it.
jeffry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:43 AM   #28
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Had several factory resets until I learned to use *1* program at a time, then...

1) Close program
2) Eject from the systray icon
3) Wait 5 seconds, then unplug (because Windows 7 seems to not be too reliable about finishing writing to USB media before popping up the safe-to-remove balloon)
4) Start next program (or the same program if the closure was accidental)
5) Plug the Kobo back in and connect

It's a bit cumbersome, but seems to have kept it from needing the resets...
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:55 AM   #29
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Had several factory resets until I learned to use *1* program at a time, then...

1) Close program
2) Eject from the systray icon
3) Wait 5 seconds, then unplug (because Windows 7 seems to not be too reliable about finishing writing to USB media before popping up the safe-to-remove balloon)
4) Start next program (or the same program if the closure was accidental)
5) Plug the Kobo back in and connect

It's a bit cumbersome, but seems to have kept it from needing the resets...
JD - this sounds like good advice. I use the desktop, ADE and calibre. Never at the same time of course, but I couldn't say that I've always ejected the device before swapping apps because I don't think I have. But I will in the future to be safe - and wait a few seconds before unplugging. Thanks
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:54 PM   #30
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyB View Post
Thanks for the SD card and direct loading suggestions. I'm not sure why I didn't think of that myself.
Perhaps I'm in denial! I really wanted my Touch to be perfect and when I got the second storage error after spending so long reloading my books I almost cried. My mind went blank...

I'm feeling much better this morning (amazing what a good night's sleep will do) and ready to get this organised.
What?! That fully(well kinda) functional onboard browser WITH the ability to download content was the primary selling feature for me, well along with pearl eInk and touch.

I'd been hoping for some kind of browser like that for the WiFi, which I need to sell now come to think of it...
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote