Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-13-2011, 07:32 PM   #1
PookaLady
Enthusiast
PookaLady began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo , Kindle 3,Kindle Fire
Missing Ebook Cover

I am very new to ereader and conversion.I used Calibre to convert 3 ebooks from mobi to epub.For some reson the book covers did not all come on over to my ereader.It showed in Calibre but did not show up on the ereader.Kobo is my ereader.One book did just fine.One I knew might not have cover and Calibre put a default cover up for it.It shows a picture of the cover when in Calibre but not after transfer.The book before it did just fine. It is not a regularly published book.I guess that is why Calibre could not find it when I went to metabase(?)

When I go to the metabase(?) area it shows the cover in Calbre.I am so confused and so new to all this.I have no idea why one time it did and the next time it didn't.The three books are by the same author.I hope someone can follow my ramblings and help me get the cover onto this ebook on my Kobo.
PookaLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:36 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
What format are the books in? Do you have covers selected for the books in the metadata (I suspect that is what you mean by metabase)? How did you get the books onto your device? When using save to disk or send to device, and if the books are in ePub format, the covers, if you have them set in the metadata, should automatically be updated in the sent files. If you are using other ebook formats, you may have to do a conversion before the covers are updated to those set in the metadata.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:53 AM   #3
PookaLady
Enthusiast

They were in Mobi and I converted to epub.I used the send to device and plugged Kobo into pc with usb cord.For some reason one of the covers did not show up.It showed the cover on Calibre so I had no idea it was not going to go on to the Kobo as shown.The book I did just before that book ,went just fine.At least everything else showed up.I am so new to all this that I felt like jumping for joy when I actually managed to get the books onto my pc,into Calibre to convert and then onto my Kobo.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:30 AM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PookaLady View Post
It showed the cover on Calibre [...]
What do you mean by that? Do you mean that there was a cover in the metadata, or did the Mobipocket file have a cover that the ebook viewer showed?

Last edited by Manichean; 03-14-2011 at 10:31 AM. Reason: fixed BBCode
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:54 PM   #5
PookaLady
Enthusiast

I saw the cover.It showed it.I am not sure whether it was in mobi or epub.I thought it switched the cover when it switched the chapters.The first book did.It went just fine but for some reason the next one did not and I did them exactly the same.

I believe I saw the cover in both mobi and epub.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:25 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by PookaLady View Post
I saw the cover.It showed it.I am not sure whether it was in mobi or epub.I thought it switched the cover when it switched the chapters.The first book did.It went just fine but for some reason the next one did not and I did them exactly the same.

I believe I saw the cover in both mobi and epub.
The cover you see in the Library view may not be in the BOOK view.

Depending on your settings , and whether the cover had been in the metadata BEFORE you converted the book may or may not, get the cover 'updated' when saving to device.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 02:52 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
For the books that don't show the cover you see in calibre do a ePub to ePub conversion and resend them to your Kobo.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:49 AM   #8
black cat
black cat began at the beginning.

Device: jetbook
I have the same problem after converting mobi to EPUB with calibre 7.49
Usually everything turn allright with the older version of calibre.
I've tried to convert EPUB to EPUB, and still can't have my book covers in jetbook.
Should I use an older version of calibre again to get my book covers?
black cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:27 PM   #9
black cat
black cat began at the beginning.

Device: jetbook
I've got it
When you want to convert MOBI to EPUB, first update the cover image in metadata, then choose the convert button, choose "EPUB output" then click "no SVG cover".
I've tried it with 3 ebooks and they all have their covers. I hope it works for your KOBO as well
black cat is offline   Reply With Quote