Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-22-2018, 10:20 AM   #1
javyn
Enthusiast
javyn began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Best epub sideloader

Hey all,

I've gotten tired of the problems and instability with the Nook eink line and am on the hunt for another e-reader.

My main requirements are: a light filter like the Glowlight 3 has to turn the light orange in the evening, and stability! I want something that I'm not always going to have to be jacking with wondering why the device just decides all the sudden not to show covers for books in my library that have shown fine up until then, or, better yet, when it just decides to delete all my sideloaded content from the device randomly.

I only deal with sideloaded content and my book collection is all in epub, so I'm not keen on getting an Amazon device.

Thanks for any advice...so far it's looking like the Kobo Clara HD may suit my needs, but I don't know much about these devices anymore as I haven't really kept up with them in recent years.

edit: Storage capacity is irrelevant to me. Epubs are tiny and I have no problem plugging in the USB to delete the books I've read and add more when the need arises. I don't think I've ever had more than 20 or 30 books on my Nook at once anyway heh, so even if the capacity is 200 megs I'd probably be fine with it.

Last edited by javyn; 09-22-2018 at 10:24 AM.
javyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 02:11 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by javyn View Post
Hey all,

I've gotten tired of the problems and instability with the Nook eink line and am on the hunt for another e-reader.

My main requirements are: a light filter like the Glowlight 3 has to turn the light orange in the evening, and stability! I want something that I'm not always going to have to be jacking with wondering why the device just decides all the sudden not to show covers for books in my library that have shown fine up until then, or, better yet, when it just decides to delete all my sideloaded content from the device randomly.

I only deal with sideloaded content and my book collection is all in epub, so I'm not keen on getting an Amazon device.

Thanks for any advice...so far it's looking like the Kobo Clara HD may suit my needs, but I don't know much about these devices anymore as I haven't really kept up with them in recent years.

edit: Storage capacity is irrelevant to me. Epubs are tiny and I have no problem plugging in the USB to delete the books I've read and add more when the need arises. I don't think I've ever had more than 20 or 30 books on my Nook at once anyway heh, so even if the capacity is 200 megs I'd probably be fine with it.
I'd agree that the Clara HD meets your requirements if you are looking for a 6 inch screen. Otherwise, you might want to check the H2O ed. 2 (6.8 inch screen) or the Aura One (7.8 inch screen). Kobo ereaders are probably the best for collections, series info, etc. especially if you are using calibre to manage your elibrary. Any of the current Kobo ereaders with the latest firmware allow you to borrow Overdrive library books from the device.

So far I haven't had any of my Kobo ereaders mysteriously delete side-loaded books or collections which does seem to be a very common complaint in the Nook forum.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2018, 02:14 PM   #3
javyn
Enthusiast

Thanks for the response. I use Calibre to add/change cover art and/or convert from mobi to epub. But, I don't use it to necessarily manage my entire collection. I just drag and drop files to folders like I would with any USB mounted drive when I'm loading up my Nook.

I have been happy with 6" ereaders ever since I got my first, but, maybe I should consider something bigger. Does the H2O filter the blue light as well as the Clara HD and One?
Old 09-22-2018, 02:37 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for the response. I use Calibre to add/change cover art and/or convert from mobi to epub. But, I don't use it to necessarily manage my entire collection. I just drag and drop files to folders like I would with any USB mounted drive when I'm loading up my Nook.

I have been happy with 6" ereaders ever since I got my first, but, maybe I should consider something bigger. Does the H2O filter the blue light as well as the Clara HD and One?
All three have ComfortLight Pro. Using calibre to sideload to a Kobo offers advantages in sending metadata, creating collections, etc.

One note is that this is the H2O edition 2 or H2O2.
Old 09-22-2018, 02:46 PM   #5
javyn
Enthusiast

Gotcha thanks! I'm seeing aftermarket cases on ebay for the Clara HD that prop the device up in landscape view. Does the screen on the Clara rotate? Or is that just bad design on the case maker's part? Heheheh
Advert
Old 09-22-2018, 04:15 PM   #6
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
If you just sideload, doesn't keeping the Wifi off solve the issue of the Nook randomly deleting stuff? I've got several Nooks and I've never had content disappear unless I deleted or archived it. I keep the Wifi off on all my devices unless I need it.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:57 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Gotcha thanks! I'm seeing aftermarket cases on ebay for the Clara HD that prop the device up in landscape view. Does the screen on the Clara rotate? Or is that just bad design on the case maker's part? Heheheh
Bad design on the case maker's part. You can rotate images in Kobo epubs (kepub) but not in standard epubs.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:46 AM   #8
javyn
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmi View Post
If you just sideload, doesn't keeping the Wifi off solve the issue of the Nook randomly deleting stuff? I've got several Nooks and I've never had content disappear unless I deleted or archived it. I keep the Wifi off on all my devices unless I need it.
I always kept my wifi off. Had the ST originally and never had this prob. Then got the Glow 3 and once the update came merging the partitions, the thing was pretty much hosed. If it wasn't for me being hooked on the comfort light, I'd happily go back to my ST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Bad design on the case maker's part. You can rotate images in Kobo epubs (kepub) but not in standard epubs.
Thanks. Kinda made me laugh as it seems an unnecessary "feature" heh.