Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-21-2015, 06:49 PM   #1
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Windows 10 - free upgrade to those with PC using Windows 7 or 8

As reported on the ABC today: (http://www.abc.net.au/technology/art...22/4166416.htm)

Early this morning, Microsoft unveiled its consumer vision for the upcoming Windows 10 operating system. It's been available in a relatively-open developer form since September last year, but today saw the company unveil a few more tantalising pieces of its next generation operating system vision.
It's been no secret that Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella wants to transform Microsoft as a company from one that largely sells software to one that sells services, and Windows 10 will be an important part of realising that vision.

One of the more-surprising aspects to getting that vision off the ground was the announcement that for the first year, Windows 10 will be a free upgrade to anyone running a PC on Windows 7 or 8.

For Microsoft, whose two key profit planks have long been Windows and Office, that's a very big step, albeit one that's necessary in order to realise the company's vision of having Windows 10 everywhere, from mobiles to tablets to laptops to desktops and even across to the company's gaming console, the Xbox One.

The rest of the article can be found here.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 01-22-2015 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Edited out spoiler containing entire article.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:19 PM   #2
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It doesn't surprise me that Windows 10 is going to be free, because it seems that there's somewhat of a lack of interest in updating an OS given the figures still using Win7 (I'm in that): 48.14%, and XP: 28.47%.

That XP figure is extraordinary given that XP came on the market in 1999 (perhaps)?
Advert
Old 01-21-2015, 09:27 PM   #3
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
People seem to forget that the free upgrade is for the on the FIRST year.

If a drive crashes after the 1st year & must install the OS on a NEW drive, then the person is "out of luck". Maybe some policy change "may" happen during the 1st year? Will a backup really work or will a msg say that it is an upgrade not for a virgin install.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:31 PM   #4
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
It doesn't surprise me that Windows 10 is going to be free, because it seems that there's somewhat of a lack of interest in updating an OS given the figures still using Win7 (I'm in that): 48.14%, and XP: 28.47%.
That XP figure is extraordinary given that XP came on the market in 1999 (perhaps)?
2001 actually
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:36 PM   #5
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
Quote:
Originally Posted by crane3 View Post
People seem to forget that the free upgrade is for the on the FIRST year.
If a drive crashes after the 1st year & must install the OS on a NEW drive, then the person is "out of luck". Maybe some policy change "may" happen during the 1st year? Will a backup really work or will a msg say that it is an upgrade not for a virgin install.
That's a pretty big 'if'. Odds are against that happening, but you have a backup image just in case that happens, right? (Right?)
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2015, 09:53 PM   #6
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorfindel View Post
2001 actually
Thanks , but it's still the second highest OS in use and that suggests to me a lot of resistance to change. Or perhaps general disinterest .....
Old 01-21-2015, 10:21 PM   #7
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
After hearing rumors of Windows 10 being subscription based with either a monthly or yearly fee, this is surprising news (in a good way). It almost makes me consider upgrading my 2 XP machines to Windows 7 now. Except for so many things I absolutely hate about Windows 7 and that those 2 XP machines are so rock-solid stable without any problems at all makes me think why bother.

I don't think it's resistance to change or disinterest as much as if it's not broke, don't change it, especially to something that will continually annoy you daily. There wasn't this resistance to upgrading Windows from 3 to 3.11 to 95 and then to 98. I guess I'll try Windows 10 while it's free, but with a full working cloned drive of the Windows 7 installation on my main PC in case I hate it so I can just switch back easily.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:37 PM   #8
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I wonder if Office 2007 would work with Windows 10, or have to be upgraded.

I've only ever upgraded the OS when I've bought a new PC. I generally don't see much reason to change what I've gotten used to.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 11:00 PM   #9
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I wonder if Office 2007 would work with Windows 10, or have to be upgraded.

I've only ever upgraded the OS when I've bought a new PC. I generally don't see much reason to change what I've gotten used to.
Does Office 7 work with OS7? If so, then I'm guessing that it will be compatible with 10. (But hey, who am I to say )
Old 01-21-2015, 11:16 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
After hearing rumors of Windows 10 being subscription based with either a monthly or yearly fee, this is surprising news (in a good way). It almost makes me consider upgrading my 2 XP machines to Windows 7 now. Except for so many things I absolutely hate about Windows 7 and that those 2 XP machines are so rock-solid stable without any problems at all makes me think why bother.

I don't think it's resistance to change or disinterest as much as if it's not broke, don't change it, especially to something that will continually annoy you daily. There wasn't this resistance to upgrading Windows from 3 to 3.11 to 95 and then to 98. I guess I'll try Windows 10 while it's free, but with a full working cloned drive of the Windows 7 installation on my main PC in case I hate it so I can just switch back easily.
I've found Windows 7 to be faster and more stable than XP.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 12:27 AM   #11
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post

Let me put it this way:

Say you bought a car in 2001. At first you got regular oil checkups, etc. Then you thought "Why bother? It runs fine and is rock-solid".

Now it's years later. That car might still run fine, but there are serious problems developing that you won't know about until too late. It needs more than regular maintenance now. It needs brake replacement, etc. Same thing with your PC - eventually, it needs an OS upgrade.

Or let me try another way - you put on a coat when you go into freezing cold, and flush the toilet when you're done right? Upgrading the OS is the same kind of health-and-safety issue.

Yes, upgrades can suck as much as flossing regularly. And yes, it's tempting to skip it just like people skip flossing. But it's not just your PC that's the issue. It's that your old, out-dated PC is very probably part of a botnet that is being used to commit crimes and harm others. Unless it's not connected to the internet in any way - no WiFi, no land line - this is a very real possibility. There were hundreds of data breaches this year. Millions of people lost money and had to deal with identity theft. Major companies got taken offline repeatedly. Botnets and hijacked computers are significant part of the problem, and the vast majority are of them are made of old computers with old OSes like XP.

Old OSes like XP aren't safe anymore. They are fundamentally incapable of being safe now. I will be happy to discuss technical details if you want, but the inescapable point is this: Internet-connected computers that run XP are dangerous to their owners and make the internet less safe for everyone else.

There are free alternatives to Windows if money is the issue. There are many different options with different interfaces or designs if workflow is the issue. But whatever the issue is, it needs to stop outweighing basic health and safety.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 12:45 AM   #12
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
I remember when I used to look forward to Windows upgrades. Now I dread them I will stick with Windows 7 until Microsoft seriously gives me a good reason to upgrade.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 01:06 AM   #13
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Oh yep ... And it's all the software programs that also have to be upgraded, and possibly firmware as well. I wouldn't normally contemplate installing a new OS until it had been road tested for a year or more.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:04 AM   #14
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
By the time windows 10 is released I'll be in the market for a new Laptop. I certainly wouldn't ever considering upgrading the OS on our current two laptops. In my view the only reason W10 is free is because of the fiasco of Windows 8. I hate to think what we will all do if Microsoft get W10 wrong. I can always buy a MAC but God knows what businesses would do.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 03:44 AM   #15
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
I have two Windows 7 machines running Windows Media Center which will probably never be upgraded because M$ changed WMC in Windows 8 so the only extender available is the Xbox 360. I was using Xbox 360s but switched to 3rd party extenders because I was having problems with network stutter when the Xboxes were streaming video from my WMC server (100 Mb/s vs 1Gb/s issues). If the Xbox 1 had a WMC extender app, or if the most recent Xbox 360 had upgraded the network connection, I'd be willing to upgrade, but nope.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote