Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-09-2010, 12:25 PM   #1
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Investors are betting on Apple

I read this quote on Shelf Awareness, from Motley Fool, a well known investment site.

"Apple will eat Amazon alive," claimed the Motley Fool in response to Apple CEO Steve Jobs's introduction of iPhone 4G and iBooks enhancements this week. "Apple has always owned the nerds and hipsters. Now it's making a strong push for the bookworms.... If you're Barnes & Noble or Sony, throwing in the digital towel doesn't seem like such a crazy idea at this point."

The Motley Fool also contended that "Apple is already talking like a market leader. It even championed the agency pricing model for publishers. The pages are turning quickly in this story, and Amazon is running out of papyrus."

Of course, the Fool has been wrong before.
L.J.
L.J. Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:43 PM   #2
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Depends on whether they're talking about the e-reader or the e-bookstore.

iPad will certainly sell more devices than the Kindles, but then again, it's not a strictly classified as an e-reader.

But iBooks is not going to be selling more ebooks than the Kindle store any time soon. Perhaps ever.
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2010, 01:40 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddman View Post
But iBooks is not going to be selling more ebooks than the Kindle store any time soon. Perhaps ever.
They've made a pretty good start. Personally I find the "reading experience" on the iPad to be much, much nicer than that of the Kindle.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:47 PM   #4
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Of the ebooks in your iBooks library, how many of those did you buy on iBooks?
Old 06-09-2010, 01:50 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
So far, none, but that would also be the answer if you asked me how many of the books on my Kindle came from Amazon. The only publisher I tend to buy eBooks from is Baen; the majority of my reading consists of out-of-copyright classics, for which I create my own eBooks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2010, 02:05 PM   #6
Teddman
Addict

I've read a few of your ebook editions on my 505!

I think the versatility of the Kindle format's support on different devices is what's going to make this a very different e-tailing scenario from iTunes. Amazon was smart to get a version of the Kindle app on so many devices, including home PC's, Macs, iPhones and iPads (from launch). They blunted the effect of iBooks by having a competing store app ready from day one.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:23 PM   #7
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Apple has absolutely not "owned the nerds". Hipsters, yes. Posers, yes. But nerds want computers -- and other devices -- they can fiddle with, which is the absolute antithesis of Apple's "we'll tell you what's good for you" attitude. Nerds are the people who hate platform lock-in, not embrace it.

/nerd
//geek
///bookworm
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:43 PM   #8
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I was thinking the same as Worldwalker. I've worked in tech for years. A true nerd would never be satisfied with an off the shelf/out of the box Mac.

"Uh dude - I built it myself!"

Most of them own iPhones, but from what I can tell only so they can have the pleasure of jailbreaking them and designing unauthorized apps.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:59 PM   #9
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Funny thing though, investors are currently paying more than twice Apple's PE (trailing 12 mo) for Amazon! Which is kind of silly when we're talking about a company with a half Apple's revenue and an even smaller fraction of Apple's profit margin.

I do expect Apple to eat Amazon's e-book lunch but I buy an awful lot of other things through Amazon so I expect them to survive. And it is not as if Amazon's Bezos was some sort of altruistic nice guy and the Kindle was all roses. No tears will be shed here.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:17 PM   #10
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddman View Post
Of the ebooks in your iBooks library, how many of those did you buy on iBooks?
I've spent 99 cents on an iPad guide. Don't plan to buy others from iBooks because they're tethered to Apple only.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:35 PM   #11
Avarwen
Connoisseur
Avarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of light

Device: EZ_ Reader, Nook wifi, Kindle 3G
I disagree the ipod is not the only MP3 player and itunes isn't the only MP3 store. A lot of people won't be able to afford the ipad or the cost of the 3G connection. So other devices and stores will survive the ipad is for those who are willing to spend or can afford it. The rest of us will buy what we can afford.
Avarwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:52 PM   #12
A_J_Lath
Zealot
A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Computer
^^I get most of my digital music from Amazon, because I never really got the hang of iTunes. I play it on an iPod though
A_J_Lath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:37 PM   #13
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I buy my digital music from Amazon (and, of course, rip my CD collection), and play it on a Sansa. Or my desktop computers, my netbook, my car stereo, even tried on my 505 once (it's a lousy mp3 player). I've never had the urge to pay extra just to see a little apple logo on anything I own.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:34 PM   #14
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Never really cared for the Motley Fools advice. But if your are listening to investors, Buffet owns Amazon stock and Oliver at Perl Fisher Investments also believes that Amazon's Kindle will not be affected by iPad.

But investment is all about timing, Apple is overvalued, Amazon is about right. Personally I wouldn't invest in any at the moment.

Apple does not own the Nerds/geeks, in fact most steer clear of apple because it's too limiting. Right now you best go with Google/Android if you are looking for geeks who support a platform.

Also some of the recent moves Apple has done has had a large impact on the development community, and there has been and will be a backlash.

Once you lose trust from the development community it is hard to get it back. And a company that productively and randomly limits development tools because it doesn't like competitor X/Y/Z is going to lose trust real quick.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:38 PM   #15
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
Apple has absolutely not "owned the nerds". Hipsters, yes. Posers, yes. But nerds want computers -- and other devices -- they can fiddle with, which is the absolute antithesis of Apple's "we'll tell you what's good for you" attitude. Nerds are the people who hate platform lock-in, not embrace it.

/nerd
//geek
///bookworm
Absolutely.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote