Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-14-2009, 08:50 PM   #1
admdvs
admdvs began at the beginning.

Device: sony PRS-300
reading in direct sunlight - text is very faint

anyone else notice that when reading in direct sunlight, the e-ink screen doesn't do a good job of drawing the page..?

when it is in direct sunlight the text looks very faint and washed out.. i even tried it with about 2/3 of the screen (diagonally across) in direct sun and the rest in the shade... the result was that the portion in the sun was faint and the rest was normal.

what was really strange was it only needed to be in the shade for a split second or so and the screen would draw properly again. so it didn't have to do with the screen being too hot..? i ended up turning the book sideways so the sun wasn't directly on it each time i turned the page..

anyone else notice this?
admdvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:49 PM   #2
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
I have the 700 and I've never noticed this problem.

but, eink is sensitive to heat/cold. this isn't the first time I heard someone say it was faint when the screen was hot.

in the cold (below 0) page refreshes can take a couple of seconds sometimes
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2009, 06:42 AM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
A few people reported that. It seems to affect a minority of units, so there's probably a bad batch of screens.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:42 AM   #4
Loose_Appeal
Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiish?
Loose_Appeal doesn't litterLoose_Appeal doesn't litter

Device: Current: PRS-650, Previous: Books
Can you take a picture of it? I'm curious as to what it looks like.
Loose_Appeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:27 AM   #5
quillaja
Connoisseur
quillaja began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader touch (prs-600)
i actually noticed this a little bit today. there was a post about this a day or 2 ago too.
quillaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2009, 09:41 AM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
My 505 does this. I've worked around it pretty easily. I'll just hold the cover so the shadow covers it. It was a little tricky when I was in the Bahamas, but not enough to keep me from reading on the beach
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:09 AM   #7
dura
Groupie
dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O (2th edition), Kindle PW11
Strange, I got a PRS300 and when I tried in direct sunlight last saturday it looked very good, black text, high contrast.
dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:17 AM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by dura View Post
Strange, I got a PRS300 and when I tried in direct sunlight last saturday it looked very good, black text, high contrast.
It seems to be only a certain number of units affected.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:50 PM   #9
admdvs

i'll try it again sometime soon.
i would guess it's not a matter of a certain batch of screens, but rather it only works under certain conditions.

It might be that when in direct sunlight the screen does get very warm and cools down within a second of being shaded.

It was a very warm day with the sun feeling warm on your skin, so, now that i think about it more.. it must be a heat thing. the fact that the screen refresh slows down in the cold is very telling too.

Next time i'm outside in the sun i'll try again and take a photo of it if it happens.

adam
Old 09-15-2009, 08:02 PM   #10
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
A similar problem was reported for a small number of Pocketbook 301 units (a Netronix 600 OEM). According to the people in the know, it was caused by a bad batch of LG screens, which affected not only Pocketbook but also Sony and Amazon. On the photos from nrg you can see that he got an LG screen as well (model number LB060S01, PVI screens are ED060SCx).
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:36 PM   #11
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Some forum members have been known to shade their readers by putting them in a baseball cap.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:46 AM   #12
darylbrayman
Connoisseur
darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Mini, Glo, Aura and Aura H20
Reading in the sun

I just spent the past hour reading my PRS-300 outside in direct sunlight. As black and crisp as ever. I actually find it a little better in direct sunlight. It was the same on my Bebook.

Regards, Daryl
darylbrayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:47 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you have a reader that has a Vizplex screen and problems in direct sunlight, swap it out as it's defective. We've learned that LG has made some Vizplex screens that have sunlight problems. These screens are defective.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 03:58 AM   #14
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Yup, my 505 screen fades in direct sunlight, too. I have a leather flip jacket for it now, though, so it's easy to shade the screen using the top flap as a canopy.
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:07 PM   #15
admdvs

i tried today to get the text to fade in direct sunsight and couldn't do it.. i think it basically has to do with heat - not sun... it wasn't as warm today, but i read with direct sunlight on it for 15 minutes.

i think if the weather is HOT and you have direct sun.. most screens would suffer.. not just a few.]