Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-25-2011, 04:35 PM   #1
lyric
Enthusiast
lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Which classics fall out of copyright in 2012?

In the UK, and many other countries, copyright, for works published in the authors lifetime expires on 1st January 70 years after their death. This means that the works of authors who dies in 1941 become copyright-free.

The only author I know who died in this year is James Joyce, and hence Dubliners, Ullysses etc. become public domain, but are there any others?
lyric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 04:41 PM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Wikipedia keeps categories for notable persons' deaths in every year. Looking through the listings for 1941 may help you spot some authors you know.

There's also a Canadian site which specifically lists all the slated-to-be-eligible Life+50 creators every year, but I've quite forgotten where it was and it's not applicable to your region anyway.

ETA: This may also help. Virginia Woolf will be one of the big ones, and there's a bunch of other middling-important types (James Frazer of Golden Bough fame, IIRC).

ETA #2: Here's the Life+50-applicable site for anyone who's interested. They haven't put up a listing for 2012 yet, though.

Last edited by ATDrake; 12-25-2011 at 04:49 PM.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2011, 05:20 PM   #3
lyric
Enthusiast
lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Excellent links, ATDrake. Thank you.
lyric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:55 PM   #4
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Inasmuch as this is a Canada hosted website. The life + 50 authors of interest for Jan 1,2012 are....

Dashiell Hammett - (Sam Spade, Continental Op, ect.)
Ernest Hemmingway - (For Whom the Bell Tolls, ect.)
James Thurber - (The Adventure of Walter Mitty, ect.)
Clark Ashton Smith - Horror
George S Kaufmann - Playwright (Pulitzer Prize winner)
Carl Jung - Psychiatrist and Author
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 10:50 PM   #5
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
If the author is out of copyright in his native country, I guess he should be out of copyright in countries with longer copyright protection, right? So, if a German author has been dead for over 70 years, then his works should be public domain in the U.S. (so, U.S. publication date would be irrelevant), right?
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2011, 11:23 PM   #6
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
No, because US copyright is bizarre. They don't recognise the law of the shorter term for one.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:21 AM   #7
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Inasmuch as this is a Canada hosted website. The life + 50 authors of interest for Jan 1,2012 are....

Dashiell Hammett - (Sam Spade, Continental Op, ect.)
Ernest Hemmingway - (For Whom the Bell Tolls, ect.)
James Thurber - (The Adventure of Walter Mitty, ect.)
Clark Ashton Smith - Horror
George S Kaufmann - Playwright (Pulitzer Prize winner)
Carl Jung - Psychiatrist and Author
Which means that MR will get Hemmingway
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:53 AM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by osnova View Post
If the author is out of copyright in his native country, I guess he should be out of copyright in countries with longer copyright protection, right? So, if a German author has been dead for over 70 years, then his works should be public domain in the U.S. (so, U.S. publication date would be irrelevant), right?
Unfortunately not. International copyright is incredibly complicated because there are no universal rules. Some countries implement the "rule of the shorter term", but many do not. And even then, bilateral treaties pre-dating the Berne Convention may alter the rules between two specific countries in unexpected ways.

So it's complicated. Unless you look into it very closely, it's safest to assume that the copyright length in your own country is the one that applies to your use of works.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:57 AM   #9
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Unless you look into it very closely, it's safest to assume that the copyright length in your own country is the one that applies to your use of works.
Ok. I'll have to look closer. However, in U.S. a lot used to depend from the date of publication. If the book was never published here, then it could not be renewed under prior U.S. copyright law, ergo, it should be in public domain if it's in the public domain in the country of publication. Given that common sense does not apply to copyright law, I would guess that my seat-of-the-pants analysis is wrong
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:09 AM   #10
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
There is also the problem that even after a author's works go out of copyright someone has to create the initial files from which an ebook can be made. I imagine it might be a little while before we see Hemmingway and others coming to Gutenberg where many of us who have made ebooks for MR get their raw files. I mean someone has to upload them to that site before they can be made into MR ebooks. I don't know myself how long it takes to get such a file on their system.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:12 AM   #11
MrTeatime
Connoisseur
MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Actually, I have a query re: digitization: when e.g. Hemingway becomes public domain, could I scan and OCR any published edition of his works, or do the publishers tack on their own copyright claim at the time of publication? i.e. could I just buy and scan this edition (from 1998), or are there complications that mean that I would I have to dig up an edition published in Hemingway's lifetime?

Edit:

I'm assuming annotations etc are copyright the publisher/ editors, but what about emendations, etc? Ulysses, for example, has several variants floating around, some of which were put together (from Joyce's original manuscripts) in the 1960s.

Last edited by MrTeatime; 12-26-2011 at 04:27 AM.
MrTeatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:19 AM   #12
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTeatime View Post
Actually, I have a query re: digitization: when e.g. Hemingway becomes public domain, could I scan and OCR any published edition of his works, or do the publishers tack on their own copyright claim at the time of publication? i.e. could I just buy and scan this edition (from 1998), or are there complications that mean that I would I have to dig up an edition published in Hemingway's lifetime?

Edit:

I'm assuming annotations etc are copyright the publisher/ editors, but what about emendations, etc? Ulysses, for example, has several variants floating around, some of which were put together (from Joyce's original manuscripts) in the 1960s.
The copyright is for the version published at the time. Republishing it does not extend the copyright. If additional (or revised matter) is added, that sets a new copyright to that material, but is does not change the copyright for the original material.

Let me give a US example. James Branch Cabell wrote a book called Lines Of Love in 1907. He then rewrote is in 1922. He then re-rewrote in it in 1928 as part of his Biography of Manuel Storisende edition. The US copyright starts in Jan 1, 1923. So the 1907 variant is public domain in the US, as well as the 1922 variant, but the 1928 variant is under copyright. If he had not changed the material, but just added a forward, only the forward would have been under copyright for the 1928 version.

Inter-government copyright law is not simple, and I won't even attempt it.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:20 AM   #13
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
The copyright is for the version published at the time. Republishing it does not extend the copyright. If additional (or revised matter) is added, that sets a new copyright to that material, but is does not change the copyright for the original material.

Let me give a US example. James Branch Cabell wrote a book called Lines Of Love in 1907. He then rewrote is in 1922. He then re-rewrote in it in 1928 as part of his Biography of Manuel Storisende edition. The US copyright starts in Jan 1, 1923. So the 1907 variant is public domain in the US, as well as the 1922 variant, but the 1928 variant is under copyright. If he had not changed the material, but just added a forward, only the forward would have been under copyright for the 1928 version.

Inter-government copyright law is not simple, and I won't even attempt it.
Thre is currently a case before the US Supreme Court concerning Inter-country copyright.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:43 AM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
For information on what works by James Joyce are (or will be) considered Public Domain in the U.S. (and the European Union, or Canada and Australia, et al):
https://joycefoundation.osu.edu/joyc.../public-domain
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:30 PM   #15
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
I have a formal question. Why are you only asking for authors who died in 1941? For instance, Stefan Zweig, a famous German speaking writer, died at the 22nd of February 1942. Won't his books be in the public domain just from the 22nd or 23rd of February 2012 on when he is exactly dead for 70 years?
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote