Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 08-31-2010, 07:51 PM   #151
pat.indie
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontpanic View Post
We are looking to launch a formal beta tester program with the next release after Dingo (which I'm going to call Echidna until engineering tells me I'm wrong). We had a soft launch of the program with this release and it got us some very good feedback and caught some very tricky bugs. Let me know if you are interested in participating.

DP
Please include me in the list of beta testers.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:28 PM   #152
Chubulor
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyjack View Post
Fate and strive...good words! Lemme ask you something...and don't take this as an attack. Do you like using the eDGe, or are you just trying to be controversial? I just want to know...I don't know you very well, so the best way to find out is to ask.
I just wrote an essay in response, basically, and Entourage's forum software logged me out while I was in the middle of it. The sense of the forum is probably that it's my own fault for not copying my post to the clipboard before attempting to post since we all know Entourage can do no wrong.

I'm not going to re-type it, but here's a summary: I am somewhat disappointed with the Edge, as are several others who aren't foolish enough to provoke Team Positivity by daring to criticize Entourage or the Edge publicly anymore. Indeed, one of the most well-liked commenters here, robot, has on multiple occasions expressed his disappointment with the device, but his marvelous accomplishments in improving the Edge probably insulate him from the treatment that, say, myself or jcase routinely endure. So, I'm not a troll, but thanks for asking rather than just labeling me as such and then hiding behind the ignore list as some others have.

I bought the Edge because of the potential -- despite scathing reviews from many tech sites and the urgings of colleagues and friends to wait for something better (Courier/Adam/etc) -- and I still believe it has potential. I have serious doubts as to whether it will be Entourage who unlocks that potential, given their attitudes and behavior. Salvation will likely come from another source (no pun intended), however.

Advert
Old 08-31-2010, 09:55 PM   #153
D4N14L
Edge User

I would have no problem beta testing as well

Old 08-31-2010, 10:31 PM   #154
guyjack
Edge User

Ok...now I know your thoughts on the eDGe Chubulor. You undoubtedly know much more than I about the eDGe and what it is capable of. I bought it because it will carry books and documents that I need and has a touchscreen that I can use. I can use it to take notes, fill out and sign contracts and a host of other things. There are a couple of things that I wish it would do and design changes I could make, but I have enjoyed the use I get out of it and the updates have enhanced its usefulness to me.

My perception is that enTourage has been very up front with us about what they are doing to improve the device. I have been very satisfied by their work so far. I also know you and a few others are not and, while I can empathize, I also think it might not be too constructive to be so publicly critical of the company, if only to spare yourself from the others being critical of you back in their defense of the company.

With that said, can you do something to make the eDGe better? I know that Android is (mostly) open source. I, for one would love it if there was speech recognition, as my hands sometimes lose total dexterity, keeping me from typing normally. Can you or one of the others make this happen?

I know you are frustrated. Wish I could help with that. Maybe we could be more constructive and kind with our criticisms of, not only the device, but each other as well.

I hope I don't offend anyone with my observations, but I thought that maybe we can all forgive and truly forget past wrongs and start with a new slate! How about it?

Old 08-31-2010, 11:02 PM   #155
renchy
Edge User

back on topic...
How large is the update file?
I just left it downloading for over an hour and only got to 46%, and ran out of time before class. I do understand that the host servers may be running a bit sluggish with everyone jumping on to do the update at once. Is there any way we could get a mirror to download to pc then transfer the file to the edge?

Advert
Old 08-31-2010, 11:12 PM   #156
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Quote:
I, for one would love it if there was speech recognition, as my hands sometimes lose total dexterity, keeping me from typing normally. Can you or one of the others make this happen?
Speech to text is something Entourage plans for the future, the capability is there. Quote from an email tech response "We are not going to get around to speech recognition until the fourth quarter of this year, but we do have plans to add it."

Old 08-31-2010, 11:15 PM   #157
guyjack
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyennedonna View Post
Speech to text is something Entourage plans for the future, the capability is there. Quote from an email tech response "We are not going to get around to speech recognition until the fourth quarter of this year, but we do have plans to add it."
Wow! That makes me really happy! That would make things so much easier! Thank you for the info cheyennedonna!!

Old 08-31-2010, 11:23 PM   #158
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Quote:
Wow! That makes me really happy! That would make things so much easier! Thank you for the info cheyennedonna!!
Me too, thats one of the reasons I bought the edge, I was a bit disappointed the feature was missing, my phone has it. I have hand issues too.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:07 AM   #159
Chubulor
Edge User

Quote:
With that said, can you do something to make the eDGe better? I know that Android is (mostly) open source. I, for one would love it if there was speech recognition, as my hands sometimes lose total dexterity, keeping me from typing normally. Can you or one of the others make this happen?
I am not a professional developer, so there is probably little I could do in that regard. I do have some programming background and have been interested in trying to develop some Android apps that are sorely missing from what's out there (plotting software being #1), but currently have too many other demands on my time.

Regarding the point about making the Edge better: to put it bluntly, that's not my job. Nor is it robot's, or boris', or jcase's, or anyone else not employed by Entourage. Just like every other owner of the Edge I paid money in return for the professionals to make a device that does the job it's supposed to. Now, I'd *like* it to get better, certainly, but the onus shouldn't be put on me to make it so.

I'll be installing Dingo tomorrow sometime, so I'll re-evaluate my opinions of the Edge at that time. With the mail question cleared up, it looks like the update is a net gain, so perhaps my experience will improve.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:40 AM   #160
Fourbdneye
Edge User

Count me in for beta testing

Old 09-01-2010, 10:32 AM   #161
emen
Edge User

@Chubulor, what exactly did you expect from the Edge? What exactly you think is missing on the Edge? It sure cannot replace a netbook, since it uses Android (I'd prefer Debian or Win 7, but then again, I knew what I was buying). I bought it since I needed it for my research and it works very well. The source code was published and since then, there is "only" official firmware available, so I don't really see the problem. There are so many open source ebook readers, and still very little bugs fixes, not to mention firmware versions from the community.

To EE team, count me in for beta testing, I actually enjoy reporting bugs

I'm typing this on my Edge, the keyboard really is improved.