Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 03:08 AM   #16
every
every began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx
Thanks ebs for this work.
I am out of USA and cann't connect the Amazon,
So i want to register my kindle dx by this method.
Now i can telnet to DX, and in the shell of DX,
I can ping other IP(such as 72.14.203.99,it's google.com),
the network should be Ok,but I still cann't access the kindle shop,
any other website by the basic web.
So any idea?
Old 06-23-2009, 04:04 AM   #17
ebs
Zealot
ebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX
I never tried to this kind of stuff - my main goal was to get a convenient access to the Kindle so I can explore it.

I can make some guesses, though - make sure you have resolver configured (/etc/resolv.conf), also, check /opt/amazon/ebook/config/. From quick look firmware seems to be using http proxies, which may not make sense when you are accessing Internet through your ISP...

BTW, tcpdump or wireshark running on your host will tell you everything

Last edited by ebs; 06-23-2009 at 04:08 AM.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:52 AM   #18
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Thank you Ebs.

At least I've put my two Kindles in hour. :-)

PS: It works in K2. However, it seems bouncing.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:50 AM   #19
every
every began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx
I have add a dns server, and ping the url is correct.
Thought the web application maybe use http proxy,(it can be see in the config file)
it should to send packet to the network,there is only one route in the system.
I try to tcpdump on the usb0,
and open "basic web" of DX,
nothing happen.
Why?
Old 06-23-2009, 02:11 PM   #20
ebs
Zealot
ebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
PS: It works in K2. However, it seems bouncing.
Could you elaborate?
Old 06-23-2009, 04:24 PM   #21
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs View Post
Could you elaborate?
If you mistake a command, Kindle interprets as search string, then if you type a command and none occurs, it has been accepted (this assures all commands are correctly typed).

Then I applied patch to KDX and it worked fine. I installed driver with KDX (Patching inf file because my computer runs Vista x64). Then I patched my K2. After configuring IP and so into the K2, I executed the commands an connected it: result was, after detecting, network disabled (it detects the same KDX network adapter whit KDX local IP (my computer, not KDX one). Tried to enable without success at least three times...

Rebooted K2 and repeat newtork activation. Detected in my computer and after a telnet shell connection and typing of "time", it timed out. Close telnet. Unplug and plug K2 and reconnect telnet. This time worked and I could navigate into device and change date.

I've not connected anymore because I'm very busy this days and I prefer read instead to hack my Kindle in my free time. Perhaps this weekend I will do something more like copy al internal data to external partition (and then copy to my computer) and analyze them.

Last edited by rfog; 06-23-2009 at 04:27 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:44 PM   #22
ebs
Zealot

Hmm, so connection is not stable for you. There is one thing lab126 init.d script does that mine doesn't - it forces full speed for OTG controller. I never needed this on DX and Linux host, but maybe it's required for K2 and/or Windows.
I'll post simple update to usbnetwork script you can try shortly
Old 06-23-2009, 10:42 PM   #23
ebs
Zealot

Try this version of usbnetwork script:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

# Teweak these to match your setup
HOST_IP=192.168.2.1
KINDLE_IP=192.168.2.2

U=/mnt/us
R=$U/usbnet

# Check if we already have ethernet gadget driver running
lsmod | grep g_ether > /dev/null && exit 2

# Unload mass storage gadget and load ethernet one
rmmod g_file_storage || exit 1
rmmod arcotg_udc || exit 1
modprobe arcotg_udc force_fs=1
modprobe g_ether host_addr='EE4900000000' dev_addr='EE1900000000' || exit 1
ifconfig usb0 ${KINDLE_IP} || exit 1
#route add default gw ${HOST_IP}

# start telnet & ssh daemons
$R/busybox telnetd
$R/dropbear
Old 06-23-2009, 11:23 PM   #24
recyclebin
recyclebin began at the beginning.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:53 AM   #25
ebs
Zealot

Well, I woudn't worry about anybody using Kindle for a "free" internet access. First of all it's not really free - you paid for it.

But the real reason - all accesses go through Amazon proxies (yes, Amazon will see everything ). Sprint is filtering direct accesses on IP level (I get ICMP "Destination unreachable", with "Administratively filtered" code), and DNS doesn't even resolve anything except for Amazon servers.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:49 PM   #26
rfog
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs View Post
Try this version of usbnetwork script:
Windows has detected a new interface (I've assigned 92.168.2.1 IP manually) and I've copied etc in /mnt/us without trouble via telnet. No timeouts. No disabled networks.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:03 PM   #27
ebs
Zealot

Make sure you restart Kindle after you update the script, otherwise changes won't be in effect. I want to make sure it's stable
Old 06-25-2009, 01:58 PM   #28
PiAir
PiAir began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX and BeBook
Hi,

First of all: thank you for providing this script. Since I'm in Europe, this looks like my only possible way to get online with my new Kindle DX.

When I try to use the 0.05 bin however I get an error code 003 and then it stops.
I tried it using the alternative usbnetwork script that ebs posted, but with the same result.

Is there a way that I can make the bin output a more descriptive error message then just the 003 error code provided by the Kindle update program?
And if so, could you please give an suggestion as to where I could do that best?

p.s. since this is my first post, it might be polite to introduce myself: I'm a blogger and live in the Netherlands and write (in Dutch) about IT and Education. I imported the Kindle DX and can't use the whispernet (of course). Being able to use the USBNetwork would be nice, though even now I can buy/download Amazon Kindle books and read them on the Kindle.

However the Settings screen doesn't show anything except "register" if you haven't done that yet.

Thanks,

Pierre
Old 06-25-2009, 03:19 PM   #29
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
How are you "using" the 0.05 bin?
Old 06-25-2009, 03:33 PM   #30
ebs
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiAir View Post
When I try to use the 0.05 bin however I get an error code 003 and then it stops.
Do you get this error when you perform firmware update? That's very unlkely, as I don't return any errors even if something has failed.
Could you post usbnetwork_install.log which is created during firmware update step?
Closed Thread

Tags
kindle usb network