Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-22-2021, 07:53 AM   #1
Krogenar
It's Facebook!
Krogenar began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Looking for most flexible illuminated ereader

I've been resisting getting an ereader because my backlog of actual physical books I want to read is already huge, but I need to be able to read at night, in bed.

So my requirements for a new ereader are:

1. Illuminated screen for reading at night or low light.

2. Flexibility -- I don't want to be tied into any particular ecosystem if I can avoid it. I'm looking for an ereader than could potentially read as many formats as possible. Overdrive, syncing with Dropbox, these would all be big pluses for me. The ability to reflow text of various formats would also be a big plus. The more easily it works with and supports Calibre, the better.

3. Size -- 8" - 10" seems about right for me.

Things I'd like if I can get them.

4. Page turn buttons -- I don't want to swipe, one-handed operation feels good to me, so if I can get this, great.
5. E-ink Color? This is least important to me, but if there's an ereader with decent color (I understand it won't be super bright, no worries) then that would be nice.

I don't plan on using the device for going on the internet. I'm trying to avoid that, actually!

So I'm looking at Boox because it seems like they are pretty open system or possibly Kobo (but I think Kobo has a book store). Any advice is welcome!
Krogenar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 09:02 AM   #2
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Kobo has a store although you can side load ePubs with Adobe DRM/DRM-free ones from other stores/places. Content from Amazon though needs to be converted and potentially DRM removed.

Android devices like Boox or Boyue Likebook ones are most flexible as you can just run the associated store apps like Kindle, Kobo, Google Play etc. It also allows you to do things not possible on Kobo/Kindle. I get newspapers for free from my library using the Pressreader app for example which is not possible on Kobo.

None of the Boox or Boyue Likebook models have built in page turn buttons although the new Boox Nova Air has a case available which adds them.

I have a Boox Nova 2 and a Note Air and I am pretty happy with them and the added flexibility over the Kobos/Kindles I used to use.

I would recommend you take a look at the Boox Nova 3, Nova Air, Note Air and the Boyue Likebook P78 and P10. They all have illuminated screens and are 7.8"+ readers. Maybe take a look at the Kobo Forma if you really must have built in page turn buttons.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 09:42 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
You can ignore the Amazon and Kobo stores. Only Storytel is locked to a store and needs a subscription to read at all.

You can skip Amazon payment method and address by using a Gift card to the email address you use. Can be bought by any Amazon Customer anywhere, but must be purchased at amazon.com The email obviously has to be real to receive the gift card.

Kobo only wants an email address. They don't spam or pass it on or even verify it.

Open source Calibre will manage books (Mac, Windows, Linux) and convert Amazon and non-Amazon ebooks, though DRM, if present, would need a plugin (see Alf).

The best value IMO is the Kobo Libra, best support for Collections, Series and Annotations etc with Calibre. Page turn buttons and 7" @ 300 dpi. It support Overdrive based Libraries.

If you want to be able to run any store's app and some Library load apps direct (Belinda Borrowbox) and maybe medium sized PDFs, then a Boyue Likebook Android model might suit. Even with KoReader directly downloaded from Git, the actual simply reading properly formatted epub ebooks and management with annotations (I proof read), is much poorer than the Kobo Libra. True of all Android based eink.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 04:11 PM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
I like PocketBooks because they have ADE built-in and you can buy ePub eBooks from just about anywhere and download them directly with the PocketBook. There's no Overdrive app, but you can either use the PocketBook's built-in browser to borrow books from the library, or borrow the books with your computer or smartphone and use the Send to PocketBook feature to open (and download them) directly to your PocketBook reader. PocketBooks also have a DropBox app and PocketBook's cloud allows you to upload books from any source (and it supports syncing to the PocketBook app). There's also a wide variety of font size choices and you can add your own fonts. Tolinos will do basically the same thing (since they also have ADE built-in). But they don't have something like "Send to Tolino" so you would have to use your USB cable more.
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 07:03 AM   #5
Krogenar
It's Facebook!

Thanks everyone for the input and recommendations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
The best value IMO is the Kobo Libra, best support for Collections, Series and Annotations etc with Calibre. Page turn buttons and 7" @ 300 dpi. It support Overdrive based Libraries.
This is what I'm going with. My other choice was Boox Nova 3, loved that it had 64GB memory, larger size -- but $550 was a bit much. Thanks again for the input.
Old 09-24-2021, 03:06 PM   #6
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krogenar View Post
My other choice was Boox Nova 3, loved that it had 64GB memory, larger size -- but $550 was a bit much. Thanks again for the input.
Look for Likebook P78 - Android 8.1
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 07:10 PM   #7
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krogenar View Post
2. Flexibility -- I don't want to be tied into any particular ecosystem if I can avoid it. I'm looking for an ereader than could potentially read as many formats as possible. Overdrive, syncing with Dropbox, these would all be big pluses for me. The ability to reflow text of various formats would also be a big plus. The more easily it works with and supports Calibre, the better.
If you're going to be using Calibre then you won't be tied to any particular ebook ecosystem since it can convert between the different formats. I have a Kobo but buy all of my books from Amazon. Then I use the Alf DeDRM plugin to remove the drm; except that that requires a registered Kindle to work. The Kobo is such a better ereader that I'd almost say it's worth it to buy the cheapest Kindle for that purpose ($55 for a refurbished one on Amazon at the moment, but probably not worth it unless you have money to throw around).

Last edited by hobnail; 09-24-2021 at 07:13 PM.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 08:32 AM   #8
Krogenar
It's Facebook!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
If you're going to be using Calibre then you won't be tied to any particular ebook ecosystem since it can convert between the different formats. I have a Kobo but buy all of my books from Amazon. Then I use the Alf DeDRM plugin to remove the drm; except that that requires a registered Kindle to work. The Kobo is such a better ereader that I'd almost say it's worth it to buy the cheapest Kindle for that purpose ($55 for a refurbished one on Amazon at the moment, but probably not worth it unless you have money to throw around).
Very interesting -- I have a bunch of Kindle's in the house already, so that would not be a problem. Thanks for the insight. Someone else mentioned the Likebook P78, I will check into that as well.
Old 10-05-2021, 07:48 AM   #9
Krogenar
It's Facebook!

Likebook P78 Arrives Today!

Thanks again for feedback, l went ahead and bought a Likebook P78 and I'll return with a review of it.
Old 10-06-2021, 12:03 PM   #10
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
Couldn't one just download the Kindle app to a PC or phone, rather than buying an actual Kindle just for the purpose of registration?
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 01:43 PM   #11
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuallee View Post
Couldn't one just download the Kindle app to a PC or phone, rather than buying an actual Kindle just for the purpose of registration?
I don't remember the specifics but my vague memory is that that doesn't work. I think I even asked that question as well.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 03:25 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuallee View Post
Sadly your app does not have the serial number required by a nameless plugin for handling ebooks downloaded via Download and transfer via USB.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caliber, ereader, recommendation, recommendations, suggestions