It's awesome, I want one instead of Kindle 4 1.90%
It's awesome but my Kindle is better for me 40 18.96%
Nothing spectacular really 159 75.36%
It's a gamechanger, time will show 8 3.79%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-29-2010, 09:37 PM   #91
mdovell
Zealot
mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle DX
I don't see that much of a need myself for color...

Way way back in the day in 1989 Game Boy came out...game boy outsold rivals not so much because of games...but because of battery life and portibility. Other systems came out in color and it reduced battery life and made it larger and heavier

Now I'm not claiming that this is the same...but..

Color would mostly bring distractions like the Ipad. Sure in some areas it is good like graphic novels or say if color must be illustrated somehow.

The amount of storage is great (8 gigs!) but there's no 3G...I'm sorry but that's a killer app with kindle

I'll admit a touch screen can be nice but this is a device trying to be a cross between kindle and ipad and I really don't think it will work well.

Let's say someone doesn't own a home computer for a moment. if they have a kindle they can buy books around the world. With this they are tethered to wifi...

Certainly National Geographic looks good on this because it's mostly a picture magazine. How good is it reading a whole peer reviewed article from a trade publication? How about TTS?

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/26/n...irst-hands-on/
mdovell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:02 PM   #92
Gwen Morse
Addict
Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle 3 (wifi) + nokia n900 tablet phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzerga View Post
Just curious to know what everybody thinks? Would you buy kindle now?

p.s. if you haven't heard the news B&N has released new reader, that uses LCD display instead of eink, more here: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nookcolor/index.asp
I would still buy my Kindle 3, but, I'm glad to see more products out there. Especially since the Nook Color is supposed to have a high-quality screen.
Gwen Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2010, 11:54 AM   #93
mdovell
Zealot
mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

On a side note...if this is really just a tablet then what can it do that the archos can't?

you can hook a mobile phone for 3.5G and also have dvr abilities with double the storage space for just $30 more

The trouble in ereaders taking on amazon are the following

1) amazon already sells books,magazines and newspapers..people are used to shopping with them

2) the free 3G allows you to buy this content from around the world

3) long battery life

4) software updates work well and some are hacking more (doukans software and calibre)

5) plenty of free books out there

6) kindle is more than hardware it is also the software so amazon can make $$ even without selling the actual kindle itself.

B&N should have thought about making nook 10-15 or so years ago. kindle obviously isn't the first ereader but it's the first major platform of it.
mdovell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:17 PM   #94
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
On a side note...if this is really just a tablet then what can it do that the archos can't?
The screen's probably better, for one. And the loop thing that will allow you to hang it on your tool belt.

But it is missing things archos (and probably most generic Android tablets) has: USB host (MSC), bluetooth, video/hdmi output, microphone, webcam. I wonder if they have skimped on video performance also.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 01:18 PM   #95
CCLady
Enthusiast
CCLady has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle1, Kindle 3 wi-fi 3G, Kindle basic, Kindle Fire
I couldn't be less interested if I tried.

If and when I get a touch-screen tablet, it will be the BlackBerry PlayBook. And I have no intention of using that as a reader.
CCLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2011, 05:33 AM   #96
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Cancelled

Last edited by patrickt; 04-11-2011 at 05:39 AM.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:35 AM   #97
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
Oh boy, lot of negativity here.. I love my Nook Color... It's been rooted and updated and is a pretty fast Android tablet and though the color is great, for me it's all about backlit and reading in bed and the motorhome at night. I love my Kindle and read on it every day....However I cannot read more than 10 minutes with a glaring clip on light at night and find the NC amazing for night time reading. I have added the Kindle android apk to it and ANY Kindle book I buy can be added and synced right to my current page.. AMAZING don't you think? There are many adjustments for brightness and fonts, etc, so eyestrain is not a problem for me at all as it is with an e-ink reader and a clip on light.
I would not say it is a replacement for my Kindle, but certainly a wonderful addition for a backlight reader. Had Amazon come out with anything as nice, and fast, I would have purchased it, but alas, the winner of the backlit reader for me was Nook Color.
If you want a tablet mainly for games, maybe it's not it, but for reading, music, video, web surfing, its great...
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:49 AM   #98
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
A friend of mine bought the Nook Color because she wants to be able to read magazines on it. She brought it over to show me last week. It's a nice little gadget. Comparing it to my Craig tablet, I was definitely a little jealous. When I help her root it, it's going to be much nicer than my tablet (albeit for more than twice the price).

As a reader, in the brief time I spent with it, I wasn't as impressed. It's definitely got a lot going for it, but the touchscreen complicates things a little bit, compared to my Kindle. Because there were so many different gestures (long touch vs. short touch, different responses depending on where you touched on the page) it didn't seem as fluid as the Kindle does.

For magazines, there's really no comparison. If that's what I was reading, and I had the cash on hand, I'd buy a Nook Color in a heartbeat. For books, though, I think I'd stick with a Kindle, but I can certainly see why others would make a different choice.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:20 AM   #99
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
It's interesting as a tablet, but too small for my use. I wasn't impressed by the NC as just an ebook reader. I didn't care for the way books looked, and really prefer the Kindle for just reading.

I suppose if my eyes were better and I had an easier time reading magazines and such on the nook I'd like it better, but I'll need a 10-inch tablet for easy readability.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:43 AM   #100
Bani
Bani began at the beginning.

My friend and her boyfriend were recently teasing/arguing about which was better, her Nook Color or his Kindle.

I'm very interested in the Nook Color but not for e-reading. The e-ink screen has quite spoiled me. Don't want to read books (or even B&W comics) on anything but it or paper. Even with paper I miss the instant access highlighting.
Bani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:25 PM   #101
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
It's not eink so it fails as a reader. If it had all the functions of a tablet, I'd find it of more value. I'm not interested in it on any level.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote