Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 09-21-2009, 06:30 AM   #1
Gogolo
Addict
Gogolo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1000S, Nook ST (rooted), Kobo Aura one (ksm)
How would the DR2000 look like?

What I like to see in a future update of the DR1000...

- plastic substrate: the new reader would be thinner, lighter and the screen unbreakable. Finally I can throw it into my bag and let the children play with it.

- 12" panel, 200dpi

- sleeker design: the new reader would have smaller boarders and therefore be as big as the DR1000

What else?
Gogolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:26 AM   #2
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Real buttons, not capacitive ones, and a bit faster, otherwise, it generally does what I want it for, very well.

Howard
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:16 AM   #3
owl123
Addict
owl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy NotePro 12.2, InkBook
1. A decent battery at last
2. A foldable screen would be nice
owl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:17 PM   #4
Grimulkan
Lord
Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Q1 (on way out), PRS505, DR1000S (dead :<), TC1100 (10'' perfection!)
I don't know if a 12'' panel can be necessarily considered an "upgrade". You don't want it to be too bulky, and 12'' is getting there.

I would certainly like to see the awesome Pixel Qi screen on the DR. Its equivalent to eInk, has color with movie playback refresh rates and is the right size too!

Oh, and real buttons.
Grimulkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 05:17 PM   #5
Gogolo
Addict

You are right Pixel Qi is very nice!
Old 09-22-2009, 03:53 AM   #6
plisken
Enthusiast
plisken began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000S
a) pixel qi used
b) no stylus, touchscreen instead (I don't need making notes) -- yes, I realize that for some it would be a downgrade
c) almost borderless, entire space is taken by the screen
d) white frame
e) 3 buttons -- lock (trigger), menu and battery meter (like Apple's MBP)
f) solid cover (not some cheap sleeve) included in the box
g) charger included in the box
h) thinner, lighter, more rigid
i) SD card slot with ( cut for fingers -- currently when the card is partially out of the slot I still have difficulties to pull it out
j) longer battery life
plisken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:56 AM   #7
Gogolo
Addict

Except b) I agree in all points! Writing on the DR is a important feature IMHO.

For me the screen could be slightly larger, maybe 11". Some books/documents still have small fonts even when cutting the margings.

O.K. iRex, hurry up
Old 09-22-2009, 08:39 AM   #8
Grimulkan
Lord
Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Regarding (b): Wacom now has a dual-sense digitizer (for example, on the Lenovo tablet) which lets you use the fingers to touch the screen but switches to pen-only input when the pen is within a certain distance from the screen. The best of both worlds
Old 09-22-2009, 10:00 AM   #9
keng2000
Researcher and Consultant
keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: MACBOOKPRO17" HP2400TX SONYUX27
Hologram Display
keng2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:12 AM   #10
Gogolo
Addict

That sounds very promising. Although I was never a friend of tapping with fingers on a screen I see the advantages for future computing.

O.K. we add this feature to the next version...
Old 09-22-2009, 01:40 PM   #11
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimulkan View Post
I would certainly like to see the awesome Pixel Qi screen on the DR. Its equivalent to eInk, has color with movie playback refresh rates and is the right size too!
Contrast is worse though. IMO, the Pixel Qi screens are better for something like a laptop/notebook, not so much for a dedicated reader.

Edit: Power usage is higher too.

Last edited by Shaggy; 09-22-2009 at 01:43 PM.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:40 PM   #12
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by owl123 View Post
1. A decent battery at last
A replaceable battery is high on my list.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:42 PM   #13
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by plisken View Post
b) no stylus, touchscreen instead (I don't need making notes) -- yes, I realize that for some it would be a downgrade
Only if they can still put it under the screen. A (finger) touchscreen on top of the eInk layer is what killed the contrast on the Sony devices. IMO, that would be a bad move.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:50 PM   #14
Grimulkan
Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Contrast is worse though. IMO, the Pixel Qi screens are better for something like a laptop/notebook, not so much for a dedicated reader.

Edit: Power usage is higher too.
Darn. I had my hopes up. Thanks for pointing that out. Still, its a start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Only if they can still put it under the screen. A (finger) touchscreen on top of the eInk layer is what killed the contrast on the Sony devices. IMO, that would be a bad move.
I agree, and the Wacom digitzer I was talking about should be capacitive, meaning there is no reason for it make contact with the finger, just like the pen digitizer, and can be placed below the screen.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:08 AM   #15
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
Exclamation

iRex DR800SG news at engadget.com
Just a reminder: new reader was mentioned in irex' press release in Aug. 24, 2009.
http://www.irextechnologies.com/file...okstore_pr.pdf

Last edited by yokos; 09-23-2009 at 03:17 AM.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote