Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-22-2019, 08:53 AM   #46
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfollowell View Post
I am switching from Android to an iPad Air 3 and came here looking for suggestions for an ebook reader app. I use Bookari on my Android tablet. I see a lot of strong recommendations on here for KyBook 3. I don't mind paying for a good app that I will use often, but I don't go in for the subscription model at all. What am I missing out on if I install KyBook 3 and don't subscribe? Or does it quit working after some set amount of time if I don't subscribe?
Just so you know, Bookari wants $ to give you a stripped down version of the Android version - oh, the $ version is just the same as the free one on IOS.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 02:03 PM   #47
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
For PDF - Good Reader....for ePub, FBReader
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 01:17 PM   #48
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
I'm checking out KyBook3, and I have to say that I'm not all that impressed. I finally figured out how to switch from scrolling, which I hate, to regular page turning, which I prefer, but the book formatting looks horrible. None of the margins or indents that are setup in the stylesheet of the book I'm testing out are used and I don't see any way to force the reader to use the publisher's stylesheet.

Any ideas?
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 10:43 AM   #49
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I still use Hyphen reader after trying most available, I’ve spend ridiculous sums on reader apps and Hyphen is the one which has been most reliable for me. Note: I read for enjoyment, and do not take notes or highlight, but Hyphen does allow all that. (Epub only)

http://hyphenreader.com/

Theres a free version in the app store which lets you read one book at a time.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 03:12 PM   #50
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
+1 for Hyphen reader. My second choice is MapleRead.

(My primary issue with MapleRead is that you need to sign up for a MapleRead account in order to sync, whereas Hyphen uses iCloud)
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 05:39 PM   #51
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Can you use Hyphen off line after you've downloaded ebooks?
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 06:28 PM   #52
varaonaid
Enthusiast
varaonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned off

Device: Win 10 PC, Android Smartphone & Tablet, Considering my first e-ink
Quote:
I am switching from Android to an iPad Air 3 and came here looking for suggestions for an ebook reader app. I use Bookari on my Android tablet. I see a lot of strong recommendations on here for KyBook 3. I don't mind paying for a good app that I will use often, but I don't go in for the subscription model at all. What am I missing out on if I install KyBook 3 and don't subscribe? Or does it quit working after some set amount of time if I don't subscribe?
Really, from the last time I checked anyway, the only thing you’re missing is the ability to sync your reading location from one iOS device to another. So, unless you sub, you cannot read something on your iPad and then pick up the app on your phone later when you’re going out and start reading at the same place. And for me, this is a dealbreaker. This is a core functionality that should be available and not required to pay $15/year for. It makes me really upset at the dev. I know they need/want ongoing support but they have made a number of long time supporters really upset by crippling KyBook 3 to not have this basic functionality without subscribing.

Let me say right off, I have no trouble investing in a good app with a one-time purchase. I’ve tried a few different paid reading apps. I’m not trying to be stingy or a miser. But I expect the same from the devs, too.

EDIT: Also check out my post below about TiReader. It allows you to setup your own styles for books or in one click, to use the original publisher’s layout, which I really enjoy. I couldn’t get to love KyBook either, even without the subscription issue.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=53

Last edited by varaonaid; 12-29-2019 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Adding more info
varaonaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 07:38 PM   #53
varaonaid
Enthusiast
varaonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned offvaraonaid can read ebooks with the screen turned off

Quote:
I'm checking out KyBook3, and I have to say that I'm not all that impressed. I finally figured out how to switch from scrolling, which I hate, to regular page turning, which I prefer, but the book formatting looks horrible. None of the margins or indents that are setup in the stylesheet of the book I'm testing out are used and I don't see any way to force the reader to use the publisher's stylesheet.

Any ideas?
I’ve tried a lot of different reading apps. Seems like A LOT now. A few of my main needs are:
1) the ability to easily get to my Calibre library via OPDS
2) multi format support
3) sync across devices

On iOS, I’ve tried KyBook 2 & 3, GoodReader, PocketBook, TotalReader, FBReader, Apple Books, Maple Reader, Play Books (Google), Hoopla, Overdrive, Libby, Kindle, Yomu, TiReader, plus a few more. I’m also just recently trying Reflow, Hyphen (thanks to this thread), and Voice Dream (& scanner app, too). Several of these seem like they should work according to the descriptions and the good reviews and do exactly what I want. However, in practice, the one (and really only one) that’s worked best for me by far, is...TiReader.

So, why this one? Well, it has a lot of great options, I think. Dark mode, light mode (and I think auto adjust, if you like that). Tons of formatting options for you to setup the book in your preferred way. But! It also has a one click option to show the book in the original way that the publisher designed.

But probably my very favorite thing is the way that it handles my Calibre library. I added Calibre as an OPDS (I have it running as a server on my Calibre setup). I entered the computer address and port for Calibre, entered my username and password (since I have one setup) and hit save. When I clicked on the Calibre OPDS I’m greeted with a full 9 different ways of showing my Calibre library:

1) Newest
2) Authors
3) Publisher
4) Series
5) Title
6) Language
7) Rating
8) Tags
9) By Calibre Library

Navigating is easy too. If I click on “Newest” for instance, I get a page with 30 books, when I scroll to the bottom, it automatically loads the next 30 and so on. So, no need to click onto the next page after page. And it loads them fast, as well.

There are a couple of different layout options for it to present your books. Neither one shows the entire book description/synopsis but one of the layouts shows the first sentence or so. However, a long press on the title brings up an info box with all the book details including the full description/synopsis, so it’s pretty easy to get that info without leaving the page or clicking back and forth. You can also sort by tags (as mentioned above), for those that had said they were looking for that feature.

I also like that I can search my Calibre library and it’s works brilliantly. Title, author, tag, whatever. Just enter the data in the search bar to the side and it brings up the titles. You don’t even have to add what data your searching (in other words, you don’t have to specify that “Alcott” is a author search), it just searches all data for you. Pretty easy to get to the books you’re looking for.

It supports a very wide range of files:

eBooks (epub, pdf, djvu, fb2, mobi, prc, azw, html, txt)
AudioBooks (m4b, m4a, mp3)
Comics (cbr, cbz)
Photos (jpg, png, bmp, gif, ico, tif, xbm)
Photo Albums (zip, rar)
(Not DRM, though, which is likely not too much of a problem for most.)

You can download the titles to your device and it organizes them in an on-device library. You can open multiple books at once in the iPad and it organizes them in “tabs” so you can quickly switch between them.

It also can sync your reading location between devices. I think I have it setup to use iCloud for that but there are likely other options, too.

It’s not perfect. I’ve not found a way to switch up the speed on audiobook files. And, it doesn’t yet support iPadOS side by side mode where you can have two books open at once, as another person was asking for. But, at least at this point, it’s the best overall option I’ve found thus far and does make it easy to access and read my Calibre library. I think that for the most part, books look pretty good, too, especially if you start with allowing it to use the publisher formatting. I also use the dark mode a lot for both my eyes and less battery usage.

The app is free to use for up to 5 books at a time. For more than that, it’s a one-time IAP of $4.99, which I think is pretty reasonable. You can get a good feel for the app before that having it access your Calibre setup, etc before you decide to purchase.

I can’t seem to confirm but I think that MarginNote 3 might do the iPadOS side by side mode. I know it has a really powerful setup and supports ePub and PDF. You can do a ton with the books bringing a lot of data together for research, marking up, annotations, etc. I’ve not yet taken the plunge into this one yet but it seems to be a much less buggy alternative to something like LiquidText.

I like MapleReader but haven’t committed to purchase that yet. I’m not sure I see more benefits than TiReader has. Yomu wasn’t bad either but I leaned towards TiReader, again, for the better documentation and other features. I’m probably going to tinker around with a few others like Hyphen, do more with Good Reader (got the Pro version on a crazy sale), etc. But I keep coming back to TiReader for the really, quite slick Calibre integration. It also says has free access to 1 million+ books in OPDS servers. You can read more about it here: http://www.tireader.com/

I want to stress that I have absolutely no connection with the app or its developers whatsoever. I’ve just done a lot of searching and posting here and elsewhere trying to find a good ebook app option that does most of what I want. I also came from Moon+ Reader on Android (the Pro version) and this felt most like what I had on that. I do love reading on iOS now. It’s easy with such good access to my Calibre setup - and beautiful.

If I remember any more info, I’ll share it. Or if I find another app that is similar, I’ll add that too. I hadn’t seen many posts about TiReader (despite really good reviews on the App Store) and wanted to share my experience. It’s really the Calibre integration that sets it apart. I’m not sure if Maple can do something similar. The version I have is locked down and won’t even let me try without upgrading. This is another thing I liked about TiReader given that I could try to set it up before committing to pay. So, you’d know how it works for you before hand. Oh, it also shows up in the iOS “Share Sheet” so you can share/send a book/PDF/audiobook, etc over the TiReader from pretty much any app.

I hope that helps! Please post your experiences (good or bad) so others can learn more, too.
Old 12-29-2019, 07:42 PM   #54
varaonaid
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdclanahan View Post
I'm looking for this, too, now that Calibre Companion for iOS has been completely botched by the incompetent new developer. If anyone knows of an iOS app that will let me sort by Calibre tag, I'd be extremely grateful. Extra points if it will let me connect my phone to Calibre as a wireless device to send books directly to it.
Check out TiReader. It has the best support for accessing Calibre as an OPDS server that I’ve used. Definitely allows sorting (or even searching) your Calibre Library via tags. I don’t know if it will connect as a wireless device but if you setup the Calibre server, you can definitely connect wirelessly on your phone/iPad that way. I wrote more about it in the post above: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=53
Old 12-29-2019, 11:19 PM   #55
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
Can you use Hyphen off line after you've downloaded ebooks?
Yes. But you need to be online to sync.

@varaonaid — thanks for the tip about TiReader. It looks intriguing!
Old 12-30-2019, 05:21 AM   #56
Cloudmaker
Cloudmaker began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I've been using TiReader for a long time since the very release. In overall, great ereader, but I had to switch to KyBook for a couple of reasons:
1. TiReader is slow. I mean, it's veeery slooow. It takes forever to get 2Mb ebook be prepared for reading on my iPad Air 2, while KyBook does it in the blink of an eye. You want to change font or font size? You're welcome to observe "Preparing layout..." for a minute or two or three. Developers say: "Go get a new iOS device, we're not going to optimize our app, it's too time-consuming". Oh, well, whatever...
2. No page numbers in the context menu. No "pages left in a chapter" or any useful info in the status bar below.
3. Changing book covers from Web (Bing) doesn't work anymore, API had changed but an app wasn't updated accordingly.

Well, maybe those problems are minor ones for someone else, but I switched to KyBook 3.

Last edited by Cloudmaker; 12-30-2019 at 05:25 AM.
Cloudmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 11:53 AM   #57
odamizu
just an egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudmaker View Post
... TiReader is slow. I mean, it's veeery slooow. It takes forever to get 2Mb ebook be prepared for reading on my iPad Air 2, while KyBook does it in the blink of an eye. You want to change font or font size? You're welcome to observe "Preparing layout..." for a minute or two or three. Developers say: "Go get a new iOS device, we're not going to optimize our app, it's too time-consuming". Oh, well, whatever...
Ah. Well, that explains it, then. I gave TiReader a try last night and was surprised at how slow it was.

The other question I had is: Can you export your notes and highlights via email?
Old 01-28-2020, 04:46 AM   #58
Memoir74
Memoir74 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Hi,

I’ve been a longtime use of KyBook 3 (previously Marvin 3) only to notice that in both cases the developer has walked away. With KyBook there hasn’t been an update in 11 months and the server has stopped functioning (which is annoying because I’ve paid my subscription fee).

I’ve moved to MapleRead and am enjoying it so far. I’d love it though if the metadata included the number of words in the book - something that both Marvin and KyBook do. It would also be great if MapleRead filled the screen, rather than three quarters of it.

Last edited by Memoir74; 01-28-2020 at 04:46 AM. Reason: Error
Memoir74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 07:48 PM   #59
arooni
Addict
arooni began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4 (2018)
Background: I have an iphone X and I have my entire library stored on icloud within a directory called 'ebooks'. i use syncthing to sync my library to this folder and others. mostly epub, some pdfs and a few mobis. i only have the 5gb of icloud storage and don't want to pay for more. i mostly read on my jailbroken kindle pw4/android tablet/android phone but thought it'd be nice to access my book library on my iphone when i happen to be using that.

Question: do *any* of these apps allow me to import my entire library from icloud and auto scan for any new icloud files and let me open them?

kybook3 seems to let me do this but i have to manually import each book separately and it seems to create its own folder in icloud and duplicate the books i already have there.

koreader is what i'd prefer to use but i created a feature request and was told that would never happen lol.
arooni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 08:21 PM   #60
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by arooni View Post
Background: I have an iphone X and I have my entire library stored on icloud within a directory called 'ebooks'. i use syncthing to sync my library to this folder and others. mostly epub, some pdfs and a few mobis. i only have the 5gb of icloud storage and don't want to pay for more. i mostly read on my jailbroken kindle pw4/android tablet/android phone but thought it'd be nice to access my book library on my iphone when i happen to be using that.

Question: do *any* of these apps allow me to import my entire library from icloud and auto scan for any new icloud files and let me open them?

kybook3 seems to let me do this but i have to manually import each book separately and it seems to create its own folder in icloud and duplicate the books i already have there.

koreader is what i'd prefer to use but i created a feature request and was told that would never happen lol.
Unfortunately, file system obfuscation and sandboxing in iOS is the reason each app gets its own folder.

iOS 13 added the option to open files directly from iCloud to the app of choice but apps will need to be updated to add that functionality.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote