Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-10-2010, 09:36 PM   #1
yst
yst began at the beginning.

Device: liad
pixel qi display vs other ebook reader,which would you choose

Hello:

Will you buy the pixel qi 10 inch DIY kit display ?
Now I am struggling between irex dr1000, entouroge edge, pixel qi + lenovo or samsung netbook .

What the advantage and disadvantages of them,my knowledge is limted to the followings

Irex dr1000:
good:
screen contrast and quality is good
support many format

Bad:
slow loading and turning of pages
will bankruptcy affect further firmware update?
very high price even though Euro have dropped

Entourage Edge:
good:
good screen
annotation

bad:
limited applications
limited format(only have pdf ,epud),will it have more format in the future?
dual screen bulky and awkward

pixel qi display:
good:
fast and flexible like a normal pc
all the format can be read ,no futher conversion
convenient

bad:
low contrast compared to eink( I can live with that as long as it can reduce eye strain and fast in operation.

Which one would you choose if you have a limited budget(only one can be afforded)?

Last edited by yst; 07-10-2010 at 09:39 PM.
yst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:01 AM   #2
gastan
Addict
gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: LePan II, Kobo Aura
Where is this sudden claim that Pixel Qi has low contrast coming from? I've been reading it in more than one place seemingly overnight.

Pixel Qi states that their screens have, "...better contrast ratio and equivalent reflectance typical of the best electrophoretic displays." (emphasis added) (source: http://www.pixelqi.com/products)

Here is a photo grabbed from the Pixel Qi website that compares their screen to a Kindle.

I think the Pixel Qi screen looks better than the Kindle. It seems sharper to me. (the photo looks better on their web page sourced above)

I realize that a lot of what a company says about its own product may be hyperbole but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt until there are user reports to the contrary.

I really don't believe that the Pixel Qi screen will be worse than current readers so the answer to your question, IMO, is definitely Pixel Qi. With companies like Innoversal lined up with a reported US ~$500 it may well be the cheapest of the lot. It should offer, in a tablet form, an excellent e-reader plus an excellent web browsing tool with full color.

Last edited by gastan; 07-11-2010 at 12:07 AM.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2010, 12:55 AM   #3
yst

I agree to you,therefore I intend to preorder the 10 inch pixel qi screen to experience,
I think it will bring revolution to my daily reading scenario because of its convenience usage.

In my opinion background of pixel qi appear a little yellowish,however.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:03 AM   #4
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
too early to call either way. But from the demos posted here over the past year or so, eInk EPD panels win in direct sunlight over PixelQi panels in color reflective mode but the gap is closer when the PixelQi panel is in what amounts to monochrome reflective mode (for lack of a better remembrance of their terminology).

There are no standard LED/LCD panels which beat PixelQi in direct sunlight or even in shadows, though the iPad might be close. Again not enough real world use of the PixelQi panels just yet.

But even Mary Lou Jepsen stated during an interview with Charbax that the Kindle, basically referring to Eink EPD panels in general, were higher contrast in direct sunlight but that the PixelQi, shown in the videos side by side was sufficiently close to be reasonable. But then as you move into shade or darker environs the EPD panels become less and less versatile handing the overall advantage to PixelQi if using your device in a wide range of lighting conditions is your goal.

As for the Entourage Edge. Remember it is a Gen1 device and will get better or worse, only time will tell. Much will depend on how Android grows as well as how able the Edge folks are at adding functionality to their device. I would love to see an Edge using a PixelQi as well as EPD panel or eventually dual color EPD panels though there is the issue of lighting again.

We need radon particles in these panels to "solve" the problem...right? Radiation makes everything better because it makes things glow in the dark....then again the "eye strain" might be an issue.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 01:18 AM   #5
yst

But now it only provide 10"inch NON tablet screen,screen cannot rotate is a problem to read Ebook.

Might it in the future will replace the eink as the mainstream screen as everyone need a more versatile ebook reader.

If the entourage have a pixel qi touchscreen on the left side(eink on the left side) and a window system rather instead of android,I will definitely buy it immidiately.
Advert
Old 07-11-2010, 03:27 AM   #6
RoboRay
Zealot
RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NookColor (CM7); OLPC XO (Ubuntu 8.10); HTC Thunderbolt (CM7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
There are no standard LED/LCD panels which beat PixelQi in direct sunlight or even in shadows, though the iPad might be close. Again not enough real world use of the PixelQi panels just yet.
The iPad is so dramatically inferior to to what you can see with the original Pixel Qi display on the OLPC in direct sunlight that nobody who has actually seen them both would even think of comparing them. I expect the new Pixel Qi displays to be even better, but I haven't seen one of them with my own eyes yet to do a side by side comparison.

EDIT: Oh, here, video in this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87477

Last edited by RoboRay; 07-11-2010 at 03:36 AM.
RoboRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:17 AM   #7
yst

I have preordered the screen ,now waiting for it for arrive, (wonder how long will it to take)
Very exciting!

Somebody have ordered the screen and have videos showing it:

http://blog.fsck.com/2010/07/pixel-qi.html

Last edited by yst; 07-11-2010 at 09:25 AM.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:55 PM   #8
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
Here's the best comparison shot I've seen yet (focus, exposure, angles the same for both devices in the same image).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/obra/4754897709/sizes/o/ (from the link posted above by yst)
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:55 AM   #9
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastan View Post
Where is this sudden claim that Pixel Qi has low contrast coming from? I've been reading it in more than one place seemingly overnight.
It's coming from Pixel Qi. There were some videos posted on here a while ago with Pixel Qi staff demonstrating the screen. One of the comments they make is that the contrast isn't as good as eInk yet.

I think the videos were from the beginning of this year. Maybe they have improved it since then, or maybe the videos were made before the PR department got involved.

You're right though, user reviews will tell the real story.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:58 AM   #10
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by yst View Post
Which one would you choose if you have a limited budget(only one can be afforded)?
IMO, the first thing you need to decide is whether you want a dedicated eBook reader or a general purpose device. Comparing a netbook to an eReader is really an apples and oranges thing.

Decide what type of device you want first, and then figure out the display that works best. Picking the display technology first is kind of doing it backwards.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:50 PM   #11
scheichxodox
Zealot
scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Thanks for the comparison shot but that's what I was afraid of. The Kindle screen looks gray, but the background and the color stays constant. The PixelQi screen seems to flicker. It looks like a rainbow with little color radiants running over the screen, exactly the same as on my GPS screen. Just magnify the pictures on this website, maybe this will explain what I mean.

Greetz

Scheich Xodox
scheichxodox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:14 PM   #12
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by scheichxodox View Post
Thanks for the comparison shot but that's what I was afraid of. The Kindle screen looks gray, but the background and the color stays constant. The PixelQi screen seems to flicker. It looks like a rainbow with little color radiants running over the screen, exactly the same as on my GPS screen. Just magnify the pictures on this website, maybe this will explain what I mean.

Greetz

Scheich Xodox
That's not flicker. That's a visual artifact caused by a texture that exceeds the resolution of the camera taking the picture.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moir%C3%A9_pattern
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:43 PM   #13
RoboRay
Zealot
RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NookColor (CM7); OLPC XO (Ubuntu 8.10); HTC Thunderbolt (CM7)
I can confirm that Pixel Qi screens do not flicker or show erroneous color gradients in actual use. It's definitely a problem with the photo.
RoboRay is offline   Reply With Quote