Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-08-2010, 10:25 AM   #1
GBowen
GBowen began at the beginning.

Device: PS550
Which would be the best IPad to buy in the UK

With the UK prices out I will plump for an IPad pre-order on Monday if Apple do not mess up the release or availability by then.

My thoughts are that with 16GB at £429 and 32GB at £499 I might as well go for the 32Gb. The 3G version is not, however, a lot more but there would be data transfer fees involved.

So issue one; is it worth stumping for 3G but a lower storage file size? I have a IPod touch 32GB and that is about full although I would probably not need most of the music on the IPad. The big space huggers are films and apps.

I have some other issues that might put me off the whole thing. I am assuming that my bought IPod apps will transfer to the IPad if I sync them through the same computer. I am especially hopeful for Quickoffice. I plan on using the device for the odd app and reading PDFs and comics (cbr/cbz). Many of my PDFs are quarto size, how would these show up on the page? When seen on a Sony Reader most of the images vanish but the text is acceptable.

Lastly how much larger is the viewable screen on the IPad compared to the Sony Reader 505?
GBowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:07 PM   #2
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
The obvious thing to consider with 3g or wifi only is how you think you would use it, personally I would tend to use it for media consumption if I used it on the go and the rest of the time I would have access to wifi so getting the 3g would be a waste of money for me.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2010, 07:29 AM   #3
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBowen View Post
My thoughts are that with 16GB at £429 and 32GB at £499 I might as well go for the 32Gb. The 3G version is not, however, a lot more but there would be data transfer fees involved.
I was planning on getting a 32Gb WiFi-only, on the basis that I don't expect this to be the last iPad I buy, but if it is then at least 32Gb is a useful size to hold a few movies and such if it ends up being used as just a 'big iPod Touch'.

But I've pretty much decided now on the 32Gb with 3G, largely on the strength of the 5p/Mb 'casual user' data plan from Orange. I don't expect to download lots of media this way (I'm usually in striking distance of WiFi somewhere) but I really like having my Calendar & Contacts information always in sync on my phone and desktop, and for me the convenience of including my iPad in this loop will be worth the slight increase in purchase price and running cost.

HTH Pete.

P.S. In case you haven't seen them, Orange data plan details here:- http://newsroom.orange.co.uk/2010/05...ad-wi-fi-3g-2/

Last edited by petermillard; 05-09-2010 at 12:25 PM. Reason: spelling
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 07:35 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'll be buying the 64GB 3G because:

1. My main use will be as a portable video player, and videos use a lot of space.
2. I currently make extensive use of a 3G dongle on my netbook when I go away from home. I'd like to use the iPad for that same purpose.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 12:06 PM   #5
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie
The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: All
I can definitely understand your conundrum. To 3G or not to 3G is a difficult question. From my experience with the iPad the device is severely limited without internet access because a lot of apps rely on internet to work, but then again there are a lot of things it can do without internet, it just all depends on how you plan to use it, I guess.

From my standpoint, it's very frustrating when I'm driving around somewhere and I want to access email or the maps app and can't because there's no wifi handy.

On the other hand there's no way in hell I'd consider spending $130 more here in the US for 3G and then $30 a month for the rest of the iPad's life (I don't consider the $15 250MB plan because that would last about 1 day). And the 3G definitely isn't fast enough for streaming video, which is a huge problem for me.

Quote:
I am assuming that my bought IPod apps will transfer to the IPad if I sync them through the same computer.
They all should work but if they haven't been updated for the iPad they will show in the smaller screen they are designed for. You can blow them up with the iPad but the resolution isn't great, especially with reading apps. You can go into iTunes and check the apps from your computer to see if they have been optimized for the iPad yet.

Quote:
Lastly how much larger is the viewable screen on the IPad compared to the Sony Reader 505?
The Sony's screen is 6" diagonally and the iPad's is 9.7".

Quote:
1. My main use will be as a portable video player, and videos use a lot of space.
HarryT, sounds like your going to have fun with it because the iPad as a video player is one of it's best qualities, IMHO, despite it's smaller screen size. My reading time has taken a hit though.
The-eBook-Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2010, 12:28 PM   #6
deltop
Zealot
deltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo
Mine won't be used on the go much. So wifi 16 or 32gb for me.

I may buy a mifi device for the odd occasion I would use it while away on holiday.
deltop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:46 AM   #7
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
I am with HarryT - 64gb with 3g.

WiFi just isn't as ubiquitous in the UK as in the US. I think the 3g capability will reap dividends. I will also use mine as a map - and the WiFi models don't have GPS.

amjb
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:41 AM   #8
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
If you need GPS its a point but if you just need 3G consider a MiFi Router with an option of a build in HCSD card Reader. You'll have your own 3G WiFi net with you and a network Storage drive up to 34GB you can use with your iPad and your Netbook, Laptop, Phone whatever you connect to your "mobile router".

My MiFi is just 3/4 of the iPhone and weights 50g.
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote