Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-21-2009, 09:49 PM   #1
Salinger
Salinger began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Strange formatting on ebook

Hello, my apologies if this is in the wrong forum. I searched as best I could, but couldn't find a similar issue.

I just bought (and love!) my new 505. I've loaded a few books onto it no problem, even successfully checked out an ebook loan from my library and that is working and displaying perfectly in the reader.

I also purchased Nothing's Sacred by Lewis Black from Kobo in ePub format. While the full text displays in the 505, it is in a narrow column, almost like a newspaper column. There are large margins on either side. If I zoom the text, the margins stay the same, I just see less, but larger, text on the screen.

Is this a problem? Is there some setting I can change to adjust this? Or is this just the way some ebooks are?

It's all still very new to me.

Cheers.
Salinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 04:35 AM   #2
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Formatting is done by the HTML in the book, which includes the margins.

Most of the ePubs from Sony I've got (well, all 5 of them), the margins were fine. The one I got from Kobo had the font set small, and the margins set to be huge.

To fix it, you'd probably have to strip the DRM and have a rough understanding of what HTML/CSS is.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2009, 05:46 AM   #3
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salinger View Post
Hello, my apologies if this is in the wrong forum. I searched as best I could, but couldn't find a similar issue.

I just bought (and love!) my new 505. I've loaded a few books onto it no problem, even successfully checked out an ebook loan from my library and that is working and displaying perfectly in the reader.

I also purchased Nothing's Sacred by Lewis Black from Kobo in ePub format. While the full text displays in the 505, it is in a narrow column, almost like a newspaper column. There are large margins on either side. If I zoom the text, the margins stay the same, I just see less, but larger, text on the screen.

Is this a problem? Is there some setting I can change to adjust this? Or is this just the way some ebooks are?

It's all still very new to me.

Cheers.
Some of the earlier Random House and Harper Collins Epubs were like this but they must have received too many complaints because the newer ones have a much smaller margin. I still think the font size is set to small in general as I always have to use medium or large depending on the ebook.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote