Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 06-13-2015, 07:43 AM   #1
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
audible manager device limits

Does anyone know how many devices can be authorized with audible manager? I have run into a limit and can't authorize another mp3 player. Yet I can't find a list of authorized devices, nor any clue as to what the maximum amount of devices is. I am out of town so don't want to call, I don't have unlimited phone minutes.

My audible manager showed three devices in the list. I deleted one but it still wouldn't authorize another. Surely three devices is not the maximum??
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 08:42 AM   #2
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I did some looking around and found this:

Quote:
Your Audible Audiobooks can be downloaded on up to three of each Audible-ready device brands. This includes, but is not limited to: Apple devices, Android devices, Kindles, and Sandisk devices. Additionally, you can activate your account on up to four computers, including both Mac and Windows.

Note: Signing into the Audible app on your mobile device will count as one device activation.
Hope this helps.

(This is why I convert to mp3--I don't want to deal with this sort of arbitrary nonsense!)
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2015, 08:44 AM   #3
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That does help, thank you. What program do you use to convert to mp3?
Old 06-13-2015, 09:08 AM   #4
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I use SoundTaxi. But recently someone recommended a free program for converting Audible enhanced files: aaxtomp3.
Old 06-13-2015, 12:08 PM   #5
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I use SoundTaxi. But recently someone recommended a free program for converting Audible enhanced files: aaxtomp3.
Th anks! I'll give it a try when i get back.
Advert
Old 06-13-2015, 03:35 PM   #6
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
FYI - Unless I've missed something obvious, AAXtoMP3 only works with the "enhanced" Audible downloads. It converts to 64Kbps (which is likely fine). And it's purely in German, although only a couple of clicks, so it's pretty obvious what to do, especially if you look at the screen shots first.

Oh, and it makes one huge MP3 file (don't know anything about SoundTaxi, so that may be typical), so you'll probably also want to find something to split the MP3 into smaller sections.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 04:45 PM   #7
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
I did some looking around and found this:

Hope this helps.

(This is why I convert to mp3--I don't want to deal with this sort of arbitrary nonsense!)
Could you tell me in Baby steps how to convert to MP3s? I tried on the freebies cant figure it out. Now getting a collection of Audibles I Paid for what my own backup
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 05:35 PM   #8
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

I haven't used aaxtomp3, only SoundTaxi, which is a paid program. With SoundTaxi you just open the program, set the options you prefer, drag and drop the files you want to convert, and it starts converting. I generally just let it run overnight, since it takes some time.

It doesn't split files, just does the conversion.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:51 PM   #9
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Thanks for that. Really handy little program! I was converting the long way - playing at normal speed in one program and recording in another!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
FYI - Unless I've missed something obvious, AAXtoMP3 only works with the "enhanced" Audible downloads. It converts to 64Kbps (which is likely fine). And it's purely in German, although only a couple of clicks, so it's pretty obvious what to do, especially if you look at the screen shots first.
It's an open source program so I had a look at what it's doing. It's using part of the Audible Manager to decode the file. It then feeds that into another open source program (ffmpeg) to convert into an mp3.

Anyway, I can tell you that it's not restricted to enhanced files as such, it's just that the file dialogue is defaulting to show only .aax files. If you were to type an * in the file box you'd see all files and if you then chose an .aa file it would convert it happily (I tried this with a format 2 file).

It's using the default setting on ffmpeg which tries to match the input - so my enhanced files converted to 64k but the format 2 one, which is low quality, came out at 8k. In both cases the file sizes were similar to the original.

I tweaked it a little to change the labels etc to English so I may go ahead and change the file dialogue too. Although I usually always use the enhanced versions anyway.

Last edited by latepaul; 06-13-2015 at 06:53 PM.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 08:52 PM   #10
FizzyWater
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
It's an open source program so I had a look at what it's doing. It's using part of the Audible Manager to decode the file. It then feeds that into another open source program (ffmpeg) to convert into an mp3.

Anyway, I can tell you that it's not restricted to enhanced files as such, it's just that the file dialogue is defaulting to show only .aax files. If you were to type an * in the file box you'd see all files and if you then chose an .aa file it would convert it happily (I tried this with a format 2 file).

It's using the default setting on ffmpeg which tries to match the input - so my enhanced files converted to 64k but the format 2 one, which is low quality, came out at 8k. In both cases the file sizes were similar to the original.

I tweaked it a little to change the labels etc to English so I may go ahead and change the file dialogue too. Although I usually always use the enhanced versions anyway.
Thanks for the info. My one-and-one C programming class was back in...jeez, I think in was sometime in the 90s. God knows whether I could have figured any of that out.

All my downloads are currently in format 4. But I can always redownload to get the better quality MP3. I should probably test to see if I hear a difference.
Old 06-14-2015, 05:32 PM   #11
FizzyWater

Quote:
I haven't used aaxtomp3, only SoundTaxi, which is a paid program. With SoundTaxi you just open the program, set the options you prefer, drag and drop the files you want to convert, and it starts converting. I generally just let it run overnight, since it takes some time.

It doesn't split files, just does the conversion.
Do you have anything to split the files afterwards?
Old 06-14-2015, 08:57 PM   #12
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Do you have anything to split the files afterwards?
I just use Audacity, which supposedly isn't the best choice since it re-encodes the file, but it's simple. (I've looked at programs that don't re-encode, but they seemed too confusing.) Then I tag with mp3tag.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:15 AM   #13
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
So what would the ideal non-re-encoding program look like? Does it need to be able to find split points for you using silence detection? (I think Audacity does this but I've never tried it) I guess it would need to be a GUI? Have playback capability so that you can find and set the split points in the same program?

The program I use (not for audiobooks) is a command line program that you give a start and end point. You can also give it a list of start/end points and it will create multiple files. Of course finding those points requires scanning the file in e.g. a player program.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:01 AM   #14
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
So what would the ideal non-re-encoding program look like? Does it need to be able to find split points for you using silence detection? (I think Audacity does this but I've never tried it) I guess it would need to be a GUI? Have playback capability so that you can find and set the split points in the same program?

The program I use (not for audiobooks) is a command line program that you give a start and end point. You can also give it a list of start/end points and it will create multiple files. Of course finding those points requires scanning the file in e.g. a player program.
I personally prefer one that just cuts it in equal length segments. I simply cut them in 3 minute segments. But it's been a while since I've converted my last book (since we moved, I don't listen to audio books anymore that much) so I've no idea what the application was called... I'd have to dig into my application archive...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:20 AM   #15
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

I use the silence finder (set at 3 seconds) in Audacity to find the chapter breaks. I check the breaks, mark the chapter numbers in the label track, then use the export multiple files command.

The drawbacks are the time involved to export the files and the supposed quality loss with re-encoding.