Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-14-2017, 04:50 PM   #331
Shaggydog
Shaggydog began at the beginning.

Device: None
Absolutely sweet! Solution #2 worked perfectly. Thank you for sharing.
Shaggydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 07:23 PM   #332
jepick
jepick began at the beginning.

Device: none
Method 2 doesn't seem to work anymore.

Windows 10 64-bit
Version 1709
OS Build 16299.125

Kindle ver 1.21.0 (48017)

Code:
PS C:\Users\Joel\AppData\Local\Amazon\Kindle\application> .\renderer-test.exe renderer-test.xxx
GL Vendor: Google Inc.
GL Renderer: ANGLE (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Direct3D9Ex vs_3_0 ps_3_0)
GL Version: OpenGL ES 2.0 (ANGLE 2.1.unknown hash)
GL Extensions: GL_OES_element_index_uint GL_OES_packed_depth_stencil GL_OES_get_program_binary GL_OES_rgb8_rgba8 GL_EXT_texture_format_BGRA8888 GL_EXT_read_format_bgra GL_OES_texture_half_float GL_OES_texture_half_float_linear GL_OES_texture_float GL_OES_texture_float_linear GL_EXT_texture_rg GL_EXT_texture_compression_dxt1 GL_ANGLE_texture_compression_dxt3 GL_ANGLE_texture_compression_dxt5 GL_EXT_sRGB GL_ANGLE_depth_texture GL_EXT_texture_storage GL_OES_texture_npot GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_occlusion_query_boolean GL_NV_fence GL_EXT_robustness GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_ANGLE_framebuffer_blit GL_ANGLE_framebuffer_multisample GL_ANGLE_instanced_arrays GL_ANGLE_pack_reverse_row_order GL_OES_standard_derivatives GL_EXT_shader_texture_lod GL_EXT_frag_depth GL_ANGLE_texture_usage GL_ANGLE_translated_shader_source
jepick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 10:12 PM   #333
Shaggydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jepick View Post
Method 2 doesn't seem to work anymore.

Windows 10 64-bit
Version 1709
OS Build 16299.125

Kindle ver 1.21.0 (48017)

Code:
PS C:\Users\Joel\AppData\Local\Amazon\Kindle\application> .\renderer-test.exe renderer-test.xxx
GL Vendor: Google Inc.
GL Renderer: ANGLE (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Direct3D9Ex vs_3_0 ps_3_0)
GL Version: OpenGL ES 2.0 (ANGLE 2.1.unknown hash)
GL Extensions: GL_OES_element_index_uint GL_OES_packed_depth_stencil GL_OES_get_program_binary GL_OES_rgb8_rgba8 GL_EXT_texture_format_BGRA8888 GL_EXT_read_format_bgra GL_OES_texture_half_float GL_OES_texture_half_float_linear GL_OES_texture_float GL_OES_texture_float_linear GL_EXT_texture_rg GL_EXT_texture_compression_dxt1 GL_ANGLE_texture_compression_dxt3 GL_ANGLE_texture_compression_dxt5 GL_EXT_sRGB GL_ANGLE_depth_texture GL_EXT_texture_storage GL_OES_texture_npot GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_occlusion_query_boolean GL_NV_fence GL_EXT_robustness GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_ANGLE_framebuffer_blit GL_ANGLE_framebuffer_multisample GL_ANGLE_instanced_arrays GL_ANGLE_pack_reverse_row_order GL_OES_standard_derivatives GL_EXT_shader_texture_lod GL_EXT_frag_depth GL_ANGLE_texture_usage GL_ANGLE_translated_shader_source
There are two files in my system - renderer-test.exe and renderer-test-exe.exe.

I changed both file extensions to .xxx. Works well.

Windows 10 Pro, Version 1703, OS Build 15063.729

Kindle 1.21.0 (48017)
Old 12-30-2017, 07:38 PM   #334
MrKaon
MrKaon will become famous soon enoughMrKaon will become famous soon enoughMrKaon will become famous soon enoughMrKaon will become famous soon enoughMrKaon will become famous soon enoughMrKaon will become famous soon enough

Device: KV, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There's really no need to use 1.17. The current version 1.21.1 works just fine with the fix described in the first post in this thread.
I had a problem with 1.21 yesterday, couldn't DeDRM downloaded book.
Calibre wan't able to read AZW, have to go back to 1.17.
Didn't see any KFX file.
MrKaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 07:39 AM   #335
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKaon View Post
I had a problem with 1.21 yesterday, couldn't DeDRM downloaded book.
Calibre wan't able to read AZW, have to go back to 1.17.
Didn't see any KFX file.
Kindle for PC gives every book it downloads the generic AZW extension, regardless of the underlying format (KFX, AZW3, MOBI, etc.).

Did you try Method 2 on version 1.21? Then re-download the book?
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 04:24 AM   #336
gottogetout
gottogetout began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO AURA H2O
Thanks a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Starting with version 1.19 for most books Kindle for PC and Kindle for Mac use the new KFX format, which is incompatible with calibre.
Thank you so much, I just purchased a kindle eBook that I absolutely wanted to read. I was stuck, my intention was being to transfer it since my PC to my Kobo Aura H2O reader.
I succeeded thanks to your information.
Happy new year 2018!
gottogetout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:44 PM   #337
sampollington
sampollington began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi all,

Has anyone experienced a difference in Calibre's ability to DeDRM/convert .azw files by whether they are paid for or free? Calibre cannot deal with books I've purchased from Amazon; but ones that I downloaded for free are converted fine.

Is there are a way around this, please? I've tried both steps suggested by the thread originator.

Best,
Sam
sampollington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 08:12 PM   #338
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by sampollington View Post
Hi all,

Has anyone experienced a difference in Calibre's ability to DeDRM/convert .azw files by whether they are paid for or free? Calibre cannot deal with books I've purchased from Amazon; but ones that I downloaded for free are converted fine.

Is there are a way around this, please? I've tried both steps suggested by the thread originator.

Best,
Sam
Do not post the same question to multiple threads!

It is likely that the free books do not have DRM. Help with DRM removal is not allowed on MobileRead. I suggest asking for help at the place you obtained the DRM removal software. (Google Apprentice Alf.)
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 03:43 AM   #339
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Hi all,

Calibre only converts, it does not DeDRM. If you're having problems with DeDRM tools, ask for help at the place you got the tools.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:30 PM   #340
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Starting with version 1.19 for most books Kindle for PC and Kindle for Mac use the new KFX format, which is incompatible with calibre.

These books will appear in a subdirectory of the "My Kindle Content" folder, will import into calibre as "AZW" format, and will fail to convert with the error: "KFXError: This is an Amazon KFX book. It cannot be processed."

The following descriptions apply both to Kindle for PC and Kindle for Mac unless one mentioned explicitly.

Method 2 - Disable KFX support in Kindle for PC/Mac

As an alternative, a method is available to prevent versions 1.19, 1.20 and 1.21 from making use of KFX format.
  • Exit the Kindle program.
  • Open a command window (PC) or terminal window (Mac).
  • Cut and paste the appropriate command for your operating system to disable the renderer-test program.
    PC:
    Code:
    ren %localappdata%\Amazon\Kindle\application\renderer-test.exe renderer-test.xxx
    Mac:
    Code:
    chmod -x /Applications/Kindle.app/Contents/MacOS/renderer-test
    This prevents the renderer-test program from executing, blocking the use of KFX.

PC Note: The renderer-test program may be in a different location in some Kindle for PC installations. If the rename command fails look in other folders, such as C:\Program Files\Amazon\Kindle.

Mac Note: If the chmod command fails with a permission error try again using sudo.
  • After restarting the Kindle program any books previously downloaded in KFX format will no longer open. You will need to remove them from your device and re-download them. All future downloads will use the older Kindle formats instead of KFX although they will continue to be placed in one individual subdirectory per book.

This works with K4PC 1.21 with Linux Wine Stable(wine-2.0.4) Method 2 - Disable KFX support in Kindle for PC/Mac. Use your file manger to navigate to your kindle program folder and rename renderer-test.exe, example renderer-test.xxx.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:15 PM   #341
Shaggydog

Quote:
Hi all,

Best,
Sam
The book that caused me the issue was a purchased book from Amazon. Method 2 works perfectly. You should try the Calibre site for the DeDRM forum/author. You might have a permissions issue in Windows.

Windows 10 Pro
Version 1709
OS Build 16299.192
Surface Tablet and Windows Desktop
Calibre 3.15.0
Kindle 1.21.0 (48017) - same on tablet and desktop
Old 01-06-2018, 06:34 AM   #342
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggydog View Post
You should try the Calibre site for the DeDRM forum/author.
The calibre people have nothing to do with the DeDRM tools.

For problems avoiding KFX, ask away.

For DRM removal issues, Apprentice Alf's blog or Apprentice Harper's GitHub are the places to look.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 06:36 PM   #343
remmons
remmons began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus
Thanks

Thanks a lot. That worked for me with no problem. I actually renamed the renderer-test.exe file in Windows Explorer. I was stuck on using the old Kindle version, but made a mistake and the Kindle automatic update screwed me.

This has be going on for a long time. Will Calibre ever support KFX?
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:11 PM   #344
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by remmons View Post
This has be going on for a long time. Will Calibre ever support KFX?
The current situation appears stable for now. I don't know of any changes on the horizon.

To some extent it is for your own good. Compared to KFX, The older KF8 (azw3) format is superior for archival and conversion since it better reflects the internal structure of the book as sent to Amazon by the publisher. Though the difference between them in actual readability is slight.

A calibre plugin already exists that can convert from KFX to other formats, but it is hampered by lack of support for KFX in the most commonly used DRM removal software. And all KFX books come from Amazon with DRM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:59 PM   #345
slowpokezzz
slowpokezzz began at the beginning.

Device: PaperWhite
Method 2 - Disable KFX support in Kindle for PC/Mac

As an alternative, a method is available to prevent versions 1.19, 1.20 and 1.21 from making use of KFX format.
  • Exit the Kindle program.
  • Open a command window (PC) or terminal window (Mac).
  • Cut and paste the appropriate command for your operating system to disable the renderer-test program.

Mac:
    Code:
    chmod -x /Applications/Kindle.app/Contents/MacOS/renderer-test
    This prevents the renderer-test program from executing, blocking the use of KFX.

Mac Note: If the chmod command fails with a permission error try again using sudo.
  • After restarting the Kindle program any books previously downloaded in KFX format will no longer open. You will need to remove them from your device and re-download them. All future downloads will use the older Kindle formats instead of KFX although they will continue to be placed in one individual subdirectory per book.

If you keep getting a Terminal error, such as:
-bash: mod: command not found

Use this instead:
sudo chmod -x /Incompatible\ Software/Kindle.app/Contents/MacOS/renderer-test

Not sure why, but my Kindle App was buried in a folder called "Incompatible"... I don't really care why. I'm leaving there.

Anyways, I can 100% confirm that this method worked for me.
slowpokezzz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
k4pc, kindle for pc