Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-02-2017, 12:17 AM   #1
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Snapshots of Coplate's packages

Edit: 2023-12-17
I did recently cancel my host. So anything that was hosted on my web site ficfeed.com has been removed.
I am pretty sure I backed up everything, but I also believe all of my stuff has been re-created for newer work. You can try to message me through the board if there's something that is missing, and I will try to get a copy back online.

Edit: 2022-10-23:
Bumping this old thread as a heads up that I am going to be cancelling my web hosting in the upcoming year. Probably not in 2022, but some time next year.

If there are any of these packages that are still useful, feel free to mirror them anywhere.

I Think most of these packages are updated as attachments in mobileread, but I didn't want to try to search too deap, since the search software doesn't seem to have got much better.

If you want to search, you can do a search for 'ficfeed.com', and any packages there are free reign to host anywhere else.

--------------------------------------------------

I have made a variety of updated bin files and other tweaks, so I wanted to put them in a central site for now.

Before this gets overloaded, I will put the files on my website, but for the time being, I will attach this one here.

I have also forked KindleTool now to add support for what I needed. There haven't been any recent forks on github, so mine is the newest right now.

https://github.com/coplate/KindleTool

package #1 - the "hotfix package" that can be installed on consumer firmware up to version 5.8.10 - it can also be installed on factory image as in the Software jailbreak thread instructions.

The related post

package #2 - the "hotfix package" that can be installed on consumer firmware - potentially any version- not that I consider this more risky than #1

The related post

These two packages should be able to be used if you have hit the dreaded "reset" button - however I have only tested this on firmware 5.8.9.2. the "Reset" button on that firmware does not remove the jailbreak itself, however it does remove this hotfix. You can use these packages to reinstall that hotfix ( the package currently listed int eh jailbreak thred will also work up to firmware version 5.8.2, this one takes to 5.8.10 and one with theoretically no limit.

Package 4: KPVBooklet that works on PW3 manga mode:

The related post

Last edited by coplate; 12-17-2023 at 09:47 PM.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:48 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Nice choice of name for your collection of special purpose packages.
Use the report "!" button on your own post to send a message to the moderators to get this thread added to the sticky "jailbreak index".
(Our own moderators are gone.)

= = = =

Do I understand this correctly?
Put this package at the top of visible USB storage and use the UYK function to install it?
It depends on only having the device "jail break" - that is, our signature certificate be installed (as in after a "Reset" operation).

Is it too early to describe this in the current jailbreak thread?

Last edited by knc1; 08-02-2017 at 09:11 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:00 AM   #3
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Nice choice of name for your collection of special purpose packages.
Use the report "!" button on your own post to send a message to the moderators to get this thread added to the sticky "jailbreak index".
(Our own moderators are gone.)

= = = =

Do I understand this correctly?
Put this package at the top of visible USB storage and use the UYK function to install it?
It depends on only having the device "jail break" - that is, our signature certificate be installed (as in after a "Reset" operation).

Is it too early to describe this in the current jailbreak thread?
The payload of this file is the same as the hotfix step in the current jailbreak thread. The only difference is the header that has the new hardware versions, and the target OTA. I would prefer not to recommend people use this one, if the existing one works for them, but only come to this if they need it for now.

This may change once I can get the other hardware versions and updated "target" into kindletool.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:56 PM   #4
coplate
Guru

Here is a hotfix build that shoudl work on all currently known touch models, and any software version. As long as the device has been jailbroken.

This is a version of the Hotfix for touch devices that will run on normal software versions ( not just the factory ). I have verified on my PW3 that the jailbreak itself remains through the rest process, but I needed this package to re-install the hotfix.

Spoiler:

Code:
Made with this command

$ KT_WITH_UNKNOWN_DEVCODES=1 ./kindletool create ota2 -d touch -d paperwhite -d paperwhite2 -d paperwhite3 -d 26D -d 26E -d 26F -d 270 -d 293 -d 294 -d basic -d voyage -d oasis -d 219 -d 21A -d 21B -d 21C -d basic2 -d kindle5  -O -s 0 -t 18446744073709551615   Update_jailbrea
k_hotfix_1.14.N_install_converted.tar.gz Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14_nomax_install.bin

$ ./kindletool convert -i Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14_nomax_install.bin
Checking update package 'Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14_nomax_install.bin'.
Bundle         SP01 (Signing Envelope)
Cert number    0
Cert file      pubdevkey01.pem (Developer)
Bundle         FC04 (OTA [ota])
Bundle Type    OTA V2
Minimum OTA    0
Target OTA     18446744073709551615

I have forked kindletool to allow me to retain software type FC04, and set all these values.
Attached Files
File Type: bin Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14_nomax_install.bin (62.9 KB, 5683 views)
Old 08-03-2017, 07:57 PM   #5
coplate
Guru

Here is a hotfix build that shoudl work on all currently known touch models, up to software version 5.8.10. As long as the device has been jailbroken.

This is a version of the Hotfix for touch devices that will run on normal software versions ( not just the factory ). I have verified on my PW3 that the jailbreak itself remains through the rest process, but I needed this package to re-install the hotfix.

Spoiler:

Code:
Made with this command

$ KT_WITH_UNKNOWN_DEVCODES=1 ./kindletool create ota2 -d touch -d paperwhite -d paperwhite2 -d paperwhite3 -d 26D -d 26E -d 26F -d 270 -d 293 -d 294 -d basic -d voyage -d oasis -d 219 -d 21A -d 21B -d 21C -d basic2 -d kindle5 -O -s 0   Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14.N_install_converted.tar.gz Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14_5.8.10_install.bin

$ ./kindletool convert -i Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14_5.8.10_install.bin
Checking update package 'Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14_5.8.10_install.bin'.
Bundle         SP01 (Signing Envelope)
Cert number    0
Cert file      pubdevkey01.pem (Developer)
Bundle         FC04 (OTA [ota])
Bundle Type    OTA V2
Minimum OTA    0
Target OTA     3202090020

I have forked kindletool to allow me to retain software type FC04, and set all these values.
Attached Files
File Type: bin Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14_5.8.10_install.bin (62.9 KB, 2209 views)

Last edited by coplate; 08-03-2017 at 07:59 PM.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:27 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm...
A 'model locked' package locked to only work on all possible models.
Tricky.

It was nice of Amazon/Lab126 to unify firmware builds across all touch screen devices.
We can (you just did) do the same for our add-ins. (I don't think Amazon/Lab126 intended to simplify our support efforts.)

I suppose at some later time, we can re-package all of the "essentials" in NiLuJe's snapshots.
They only need to be re-wrapped, none of them have "bit rotted" (yet).

But I guess I need to put recovering a 'factory firmware' for the PW3-32G a little higher on my to do list.
(I am still "wasting" my free time repairing the damage done to my car in an accident last February.)

Last edited by knc1; 08-03-2017 at 09:31 PM.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:53 PM   #7
coplate
Guru

Quote:
Hmm...
A 'model locked' package locked to only work on all possible models.
Tricky.

It was nice of Amazon/Lab126 to unify firmware builds across all touch screen devices.
We can (you just did) do the same for our add-ins. (I don't think Amazon/Lab126 intended to simplify our support efforts.)

I suppose at some later time, we can re-package all of the "essentials" in NiLuJe's snapshots.
They only need to be re-wrapped, none of them have "bit rotted" (yet).

But I guess I need to put recovering a 'factory firmware' for the PW3-32G a little higher on my to do list.
(I am still "wasting" my free time repairing the damage done to my car in an accident last February.)

My idea for the pw32Gb has a problem, I get an error "tar format error", so my repackaging didnt work right. I am still going to work on it, I think it was just form using 7-zip on windows to re-tar the files I needed.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:06 PM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
My idea for the pw32Gb has a problem, I get an error "tar format error", so my repackaging didnt work right. I am still going to work on it, I think it was just form using 7-zip on windows to re-tar the files I needed.
http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/coreutils.htm
http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/libarchive.htm
In both cases, scroll to bottom of page for the Windows binaries.

If you need different versions or 64bit versions for your Windows, a little bit of web searching should turn them up.
The above are old, 32bit versions.

Last edited by knc1; 08-03-2017 at 11:12 PM.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:38 PM   #9
coplate
Guru

Quote:
http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/coreutils.htm
http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/libarchive.htm
In both cases, scroll to bottom of page for the Windows binaries.

If you need different versions or 64bit versions for your Windows, a little bit of web searching should turn them up.
The above are old, 32bit versions.

Thanks, I have those, I was just trying to drag and drop into 7zip for easy moving.

I actually just finished installing the Windows 10 Linux subsystem, because I couldn't figure out how to get libraries installed for MinGW kindletool. OS I thought I would just use this new Windows 10 Linux system, and make linux binaries of it.

I re-packaged my update_PW3_5.7.4_with_5.8.2_uboot.bin using linux tar, and it looks like it is working.

I forgot to connect my serial port for logs, but it is in progress right now.

It appears to have installed correctly - operation frankenupdate is a go - now I need to find a guinea pi- sacrif- victi- volunteer, that's the word.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:39 AM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

There is a {strike} {/strike} tag pair (with the correct, square brackets).
There is also a 'literal' pair, but I forget what they are.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:52 AM   #11
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
- - - -
I re-packaged my update_PW3_5.7.4_with_5.8.2_uboot.bin using linux tar, and it looks like it is working.
- - - -
Isn't 5.7.4 too old to run a PW3-32?
Or have I lost track of what you are doing?

- - - -

Is the MS-Unix sub-system complete enough to let you mount the rootfs.img file?

If not, do you have VirtualBox for your Win10 system?
If so, I can figure out how to do that with one of my prototype development VM images.
I already have them setup to access the host's filesystem from inside of the VM image, so just 'reaching' out for the un-packed files is possible, I just haven't tried the 'mount' command inside of the VM.

Last edited by knc1; 08-04-2017 at 01:02 AM.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:54 AM   #12
coplate
Guru

Quote:
It appears to have installed correctly

Looks like using the 5.8.10 kernel with the 5.7.4 filesystem is not good.

Now trying to update AFTER that gets me this:
Code:
FB02 bundle could not be applied over FB03
I think I will need to do a real 5.8.10 update, then a serial downgrade to real 5.8.7 to get me back where I need to be.

I'll be back tomorrow.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:56 AM   #13
coplate
Guru

Quote:
The 5.7.4 kernel and uboot are too old to run on the pw3-32 for sure.

I want to test if the 5.7.4 user land is compliant enough to let someone install the jailbreak, then the hotfix, then update to a real version. So I'm testing if playing around with this will break my kindle right now.

If the factory package style package lets us do this, We might as well take advantage of it in the few months before the next factory cycle probably eliminates the option completely.

Last edited by coplate; 08-04-2017 at 12:59 AM.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:05 AM   #14
knc1
Going Viral

It is way past my own bed-time also.

I am also sitting here in front of Amazon's 12 month free offer (that will run Suse appliances).
https://aws.amazon.com/free/

At the moment, I can't think of why a virtual system can't have more than one user.
So why not do the Kindle hacking collaboration on Amazon's dime system?

Note: I posted the 'public' descriptor link above - but I am accessing the 'same' offer via suseStudio (which is also free). That is a partnership deal between Amazon and Suse that would let me deploy what I build on an EC2 instance.
(1 core, 1G ram, 750 cpu hours / month, ... more)
I have always wanted to use Amazon's (free) S3 distribution system to distribute Kindle jail breaks.

Last edited by knc1; 08-04-2017 at 01:31 AM.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:27 PM   #15
coplate
Guru

Quote:

- - - -

Is the MS-Unix sub-system complete enough to let you mount the rootfs.img file?

If not, do you have VirtualBox for your Win10 system?
If so, I can figure out how to do that with one of my prototype development VM images.
I already have them setup to access the host's filesystem from inside of the VM image, so just 'reaching' out for the un-packed files is possible, I just haven't tried the 'mount' command inside of the VM.
No, the windows system does not have the "loop" system implemented, so you cannot mount image files in linux. I do have a Ubuntu VMware that I pop into if I need things like this though.