Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-07-2020, 11:26 AM   #1
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Error: database disk image is malformed

Hello:

Calibre is telling me that my ereader has this problem:
Code:
 File "c:\t\t\apsw-47cp24d7\src\cursor.c", line 236, in resetcursor
CorruptError: CorruptError: database disk image is malformed
I know that it's a problem with the database and, probably, logging out and in it will be solved. But, do you know any check I can do in the database before reaching that point?
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 05:23 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
You can try opening the database with a SQLite management tool and running a check. This should open it and run. But, it might fail to open it. The database check in the Kobo Utilities probably won't work as it will probably fail opening the database. I can't tell that for sure as I'd need at least the previous line in the error to see exactly where this was called from.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2020, 03:02 AM   #3
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
You can try opening the database with a SQLite management tool and running a check. This should open it and run. But, it might fail to open it. The database check in the Kobo Utilities probably won't work as it will probably fail opening the database. I can't tell that for sure as I'd need at least the previous line in the error to see exactly where this was called from.
Thank you, I'll try to check it as I kept the bad database. But, lucky me, I had a copy of the previous day database So... And thank you for Kobo Utilities and that check for doing database backup when you connect the device
Old 11-08-2020, 03:41 PM   #4
retro
Groupie
retro doesn't litterretro doesn't litterretro doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Clara Blue PRS 350
That's the same error I've been getting. Despite resetting, reimaging and restoring the db, it keeps coming back.

compurandom mentioned he thinks calibre is corrupting the db on his forma but going to 5.x might have fixed it. I'm trying that now.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=334262
retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 04:45 PM   #5
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

I've listened about calibre corrupting db I don't know how many times My POV? The last time, I didn't eject it right or I wasn't careful when importing it. In any case, as I had a backup of the previous day, no loss (and I don't blame calibre because I think that I've connected my devices more than 1.000 times -no exaggeration- and I've got the problem twice, and the other one I was able to solve it rebuilding indexes).
Advert
Old 11-08-2020, 06:17 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro View Post
That's the same error I've been getting. Despite resetting, reimaging and restoring the db, it keeps coming back.

compurandom mentioned he thinks calibre is corrupting the db on his forma but going to 5.x might have fixed it. I'm trying that now.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=334262
Here's the problem with reports like that from @compurandom; there is no evidence of the claim. My problem is that I know what calibre does. I know what the driver does. And I can, when working on the driver or one of the plugins, testing beta firmware or testing a problem reported here, plugin one of my devices and let calibre see it hundreds of times in a day. That is not an exaggeration. And do you know how often I see database corruption? Maybe twice a month. And, every time I can track it to something I did. Mostly I bumped the cable at the wrong time. The socket in my laptop is a little worn, and in a terrible position.

As to you thread in general, you kept bringing up the second database on the device, "BookReader.sqlite". An I kept telling you that it had nothing to do with it as calibre does not touch it. If you truly believe it was corrupt and causing calibre to detect that the database was corrupt, then you have demonstrated without a doubt that calibre is not what is causing the database corrupt. Calibre, or more specifically the KoboTouch and KoboTouchExtended drivers, do not touch this file and do not have any knowledge that it exists. If something is corrupting this file and the main database, then it is not calibre.

One last thing, for your thread, the location that the corruption was detected was in code reading the database. At that point, calibre has not done anything other than open the database to read it. It is unlikely that reading the database would corrupt it. It is most likely that it was corrupted sometime before this. If it was calibre causing the problem, it would have been the previous connection. In which case you should have seen an issue while using the device. Especially if you restarted it at some point.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 06:25 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have had my H2O for almost 6 years. I have never once corrupted the database. I've used most versions of Calibre. I currently use 4.23 and 5.x. No database corruption switching Calibre versions.

So sorry, but the claim that Calibre is corrupting the database is false.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 07:41 AM   #8
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Here's the problem with reports like that from @compurandom; there is no evidence of the claim.
No evidence because I was still looking for it. I should have posted earlier when I found it (sortof), sorry!

It wasn't calibre directly that was corrupting it, it wasn't getting ejected properly.

I suspect that since I upgraded to version 5, when I eject the device, calibre would go through all the motions of ejecting it, but then not actually eject, and I didn't notice. When I did notice, I was able to repeatedly tell calibre to eject and see that it didn't.

So I decided to briefly try version 4.23 to narrow it to device or to calibre version...and it worked. So I went back to version 5, and the problem was gone.

So no idea why it was repeatedly not ejecting and repaired itself.
Sorry, still no real evidence.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote