Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-27-2016, 05:21 AM   #1
pargoo
pargoo began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite v2
Adding MSWord-type special chacters possible?

Just wondering if it's possible somehow to paste or import additional special characters into open Sigil documents along the lines of the 'copyright' symbol: ©, only with numerals such as '1' and '2' inside the circle instead of letters like 'C' - in this case - or 'R' like the 'Registered' symbol also known to all: ® ..? Perhaps a plugin permits this?
pargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:45 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
You could create custom shortcuts for special characters. For details, see this post by DiapDealer.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2016, 09:04 AM   #3
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Be aware that the font on the reader must have the symbol. Otherwise it will not be visible. The Symbola font is a very good collection of symbols/glyphs. On my site I have made a mapping from the Symbol, Webdings and Wingdings 1,2,3 to their corresponding unicode character. You can use that. By the way, the glyps on that page are from the Symbola font.

Mapping: http://toxaris.nl/glyphs/symbols.html
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 11:51 PM   #4
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by pargoo View Post
Just wondering if it's possible somehow to paste or import additional special characters into open Sigil documents along the lines of the 'copyright' symbol: ©, only with numerals such as '1' and '2' inside the circle instead of letters like 'C' - in this case - or 'R' like the 'Registered' symbol also known to all: ® ..?
Typically these symbols are used very sparingly throughout a document, so I just grab them on a case-by-case basis as needed.

You could:
  • Use the Character Map functionality in your OS.
    • You could also use a more powerful "Character Map" program, BabelMap:
    • The "Insert Special Character" button in Sigil/Calibre can be used.
    • As Doitsu mentioned, if you use some symbols often, you could add them into Sigil as "Clips".
  • In the code, you can type in the HTML Entities
  • Copy/Paste from elsewhere
    • I personally search on this site and copy/paste the characters.
    • As Toxaris mentioned, he recently put up a table of Unicode glyphs for the Symbol + Webdings + Wingdings 1/2/3 fonts:
      • http://toxaris.nl/glyphs/symbols.html
      • Note: He also implemented this into the next version of his Microsoft Word EPUB Tools Addon. If you created a document in Word using those fonts, his plugin will be able to automatically export those 5 fonts into their Unicode equivalents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Be aware that the font on the reader must have the symbol. Otherwise it will not be visible.
Indeed. While some of the very common ones like Copyright/Registered symbols SHOULD be on most devices, some of the obscure ones might not be.

We recently discussed Embedding Fonts for symbols in this topic:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=278187

These are very common and you should have no problems using them in your books:

Copyright: ©

I probably wouldn't rely on these being in the device's fonts (although I haven't done any sort of extensive testing on this):

Circled Digits: ①②③④⑤⑥⑦⑧⑨⓪

These are probably much more rare:

Negative Circled Digits: ❶❷❸❹❺❻❼❽❾⓿

And these? I bet your bottom these wouldn't be on most devices:

Negative Circled Digits (11-20): ⓫⓬⓭⓮⓯⓰⓱⓲⓳⓴

The more obscure the symbols become, your best bet would probably be embedding a font specifically for these characters/glyphs/symbols (see topic above for example + Sample EPUBs).

As Toxaris mentioned, Symbola seems to be a great font for a lot of these obscure symbols.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 09-28-2016 at 07:15 AM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 02:19 AM   #5
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I want to add that if you will include a font that contains that symbol and you will only use that font for that or a few glyphs, strongly consider subsetting the font. That will greatly reduce the font in size.
Advert
Old 09-28-2016, 07:13 AM   #6
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
So I took a look at Sigil's "Insert Special Character"... and I must admit, it does look a bit sparse:

Click image for larger version

Name:	SigilSpecialCharacters.png
Views:	197
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	151982

I went to see how Calibre handled it, and it looks to be done quite well:

Click image for larger version

Name:	CalibreSpecialCharacters.png
Views:	167
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	151983

although just to stress again... you have to be careful what sort of characters you are inserting.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:49 AM   #7
Toxaris
Wizard

I personally prefer the Sigil one. It has the focus on much used characters for which support in the readers is pretty much garantueed. It seems that Calibre gives the complete Unicode list, but default support is probably none existing. That can give the wrong impression.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:17 AM   #8
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
I personally prefer the Sigil one. It has the focus on much used characters for which support in the readers is pretty much garantueed. It seems that Calibre gives the complete Unicode list, but default support is probably none existing. That can give the wrong impression.
I noticed Calibre's much greater selection awhile ago but had forgotten (I primarily use Sigil). I just assumed that if you selected a character from a font that isn't standard, Calibre would embed that font for you - or at least tell you that you should and/or provide a little wizard to do so. Looking back I see that was probably naive.

Speaking of little wizards, has anyone thought of an "embed font" button that allows the user to select an external font file/family, imports those files into Sigil, and creates the proper @font-face reference in the CSS?? Seems like that would be a fairly simple combination of existing functionality (add existing files, paste clips) that would smooth the path for all users from novice to expert. It's a fairly common question for noobs, and would save several minutes for the rest.

The only difficulty I could see in creating the code would be determining if the file was normal/bold/italic/bolditalic and applying the proper css. Is there some easy way of determining which properties a font file includes?
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:33 AM   #9
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Speaking of little wizards, has anyone thought of an "embed font" button that allows the user to select an external font file/family, imports those files into Sigil, and creates the proper @font-face reference in the CSS?? Seems like that would be a fairly simple combination of existing functionality (add existing files, paste clips) that would smooth the path for all users from novice to expert. It's a fairly common question for noobs, and would save several minutes for the rest.
Former MR member Rubeus uploaded such a plugin. When he left, I uploaded my own version of a plugin that should pretty much meet your requirements:

CSSFromFonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
The only difficulty I could see in creating the code would be determining if the file was normal/bold/italic/bolditalic and applying the proper css. Is there some easy way of determining which properties a font file includes?
The plugin uses "low level heuristics" to guesstimate the font weight and should be able to properly identify it, if the font designer followed the usual naming conventions.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:50 AM   #10
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi Doitsu,

I created this plugin's own entry in the Sigil Plugin Index thread so that people can find it more easily.

Hope this helps,

KevinH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Former MR member Rubeus uploaded such a plugin. When he left, I uploaded my own version of a plugin that should pretty much meet your requirements:

CSSFromFonts

The plugin uses "low level heuristics" to guesstimate the font weight and should be able to properly identify it, if the font designer followed the usual naming conventions.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:07 AM   #11
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Awesome - thanks again! I should have noticed that
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 06:41 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I personally prefer the Sigil one. It has the focus on much used characters ...
@Toxaris - If you look at calibre's Insert character Favourites (as shipped) they are very similar to the Sigil set. No half star though

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 04:50 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@Toxaris - If you look at calibre's Insert character Favourites (as shipped) they are very similar to the Sigil set. No half star though

BR
Not only that, you can add and remove any character you like to favorties and re-arrange them, so that you can create the set of easily accessible characters that is suited to you, personally.

As for embedding fonts, the calibre editor has a manage fonts tool that has a single click embed button that will embed all fonts referenced in the book automatically. And of course, the tool also has a single click subset embedded fonts button
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:06 AM   #14
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi Kovid,

Thanks. Those capabilities are integrated into Toxaris's optimize epub plugin but Sigil can definitely think about integrating code that does that into our tree after we get more epub 3 support added.

Take care,

KevinH
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote