Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-19-2017, 03:01 AM   #1
Trevor68
Enthusiast
Trevor68 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H20
Question Changed behaviour in 3.0

Hi, bare with me, as I know is what changed, and not how to fix it, let alone describe it. I'm repairing a large library slowly, just taking my time, but this change in 3 is making it now an unbearable task.

Before updating I would find a wrongly identified book, fix it, and the authorlist would "center" itself on the left so I knew exactly where I was up to.

Since upgrading to 3.0 it now flings to the top every single time I fix a book, then I have to manually go hunting the list to get back where I was?

Given I'm about halfway through checking 1000 authors that begin with the letter D this is driving me batty, can it be altered, or do I need to revert back to 2.0 series?
Trevor68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:57 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Sorry, I dont understand what you are saying. Are you making change sin the manage authors dialog? Or somewhere else? Maybe a screenshot would help.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2017, 03:49 PM   #3
rwmcafee
Connoisseur
rwmcafee knows what time it isrwmcafee knows what time it isrwmcafee knows what time it isrwmcafee knows what time it isrwmcafee knows what time it isrwmcafee knows what time it isrwmcafee knows what time it isrwmcafee knows what time it isrwmcafee knows what time it isrwmcafee knows what time it isrwmcafee knows what time it is

Device: none
I also have the same problem. If you delete an author, for instance Heinlein, the older Calibre versions would center themselves at the location on the tag browser list where Heinlein was. The 3.0 version now goes to the top of the H list.

Also, like the OP says, if you change a misspelled author name the browser again goes to the top of the list instead of staying where it was at.

I've started having a second author open ( ctrl new author name next to author that I want to change) at the same time when deleting or changing a name so that I won't bounce back to the top of the author list.

Hope this clarifies the OP post.

Ron
rwmcafee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:12 PM   #4
Trevor68
Enthusiast

Well I have 30,000 books to check, which is now practically impossible, so unless we can understand this change it's back to 2.0 I go.

I can take 2 screenshots I guess, 1 showing the list centred on the left, and another showing it bounced back to the top, but I fail to understand what is so hard to understand about it.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:19 PM   #5
Trevor68
Enthusiast

Ok, in this example I have removed an incorrect author from a book. In the old world the list on the left STAYS CENTERED and I know exactly where I am up to.

Since Updating to 3.0 it bounces back to the beginning of the list and I have to try to figure out where I was at, every single time. There are no words for how frustrating this is!
Advert
Old 06-19-2017, 10:21 PM   #6
Trevor68
Enthusiast

Sigh, I have no idea where the screenshots are going, they upload fine, but then don't appear?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	backtotop.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	317.9 KB
ID:	157421   Click image for larger version

Name:	centered.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	579.7 KB
ID:	157422  
Old 06-19-2017, 11:11 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah you mean you are renaming them in the Tag Browser itself. This has nothing to do with 3 and actually is a side-effect of fixing https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/1696596

I'll look into it. In the meantime instead of editing authors directly in the Tag Browser, simply use the Manage authors dialog (right click the Tag browser and select Manage authors).
Old 06-20-2017, 12:29 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

This should fix it:

https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...aa303efd001605
Old 06-20-2017, 03:06 AM   #9
Trevor68
Enthusiast

Always happy to learn something new, but I opened the Manage Authors dialogue and it's a case of now what? I don't even see any books listed, let alone all the authors beginning with D?

Can I overwrite the 2 files you updated, or should I just wait for another Calibre update?
Old 06-20-2017, 04:01 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Simply double click on any author name to rename it. Renaming authors is what you are trying to do, correct?

As for the fix, you will have to wait for Friday unless you are technical enough to be able to run calibre from source.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:01 PM   #11
Trevor68
Enthusiast

I am, but would need to follow instruction as not terribly familiar with Calibre, I'm more of a mysql/php webscript type guy.

I can wait till friday as I'm sure your pretty busy, and thanks heaps for investigating and applying a fix so quickly.
Old 06-25-2017, 06:46 PM   #12
Trevor68
Enthusiast

Sorry, but on testing 3.1.1 this bug still exists. :-(

I think you misunderstand what I am doing here, as why would I use the manage author dialogue to modify an author if I have no idea that author needs to be modified?

I'm using the tag browser to check for mis-identified books, then fixing them as I find them. Having the list lose it's place every single time I fix one is going to make this take 3000% longer than it should.

Last edited by Trevor68; 06-25-2017 at 06:49 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:49 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Doesn't exist for me. After renaming an author in the Tag browser, the renamed author is placed at the center of the view, which is exactly the behavior of calibre in 2.x
Old 06-26-2017, 12:03 AM   #14
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Trevor68 - how are finding mis-identified books, by looking at the book list or at the tag browser?

If it's the book list, when you spot book tagged as 'Cimean War' and you know it should be 'Crimean War', hit F2 on the tags cell for that book and change it right there, the change will be applied to all books tagged with 'Cimean War'. Then you won't even need to look at the Tag Browser.

@Kovid - it doesn't put the renamed author centre view for me

First image shows starting point with author 'Andrew Zethan', second image shows me changing it to 'Zethan Andrew', third image is what I see after I press Enter. I have to scroll down to see 'Zethan Andrew'

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	157534 Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	157535 Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	157536

One of the problems with perusing the Manage <whatever> list looking for errors, is that you can't see the books with a particular value. FX if I saw a Tag 'Cimian Wars', how do I known if it is misspelling of 'Crimean War' or 'Simian Wars'. Or if I saw D. Cresswell how would I know if it's Douglas or Daniel, Douglas was a Kiwi historian, Daniel was an English mathematician.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:45 AM   #15
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
It looks like you are sorting by author (First Last) and then when you change the author name it puts it in proper alphabetic order with a "Z" at the end. If you are saying that you want the "Z" name to stay right where you are looking in the list then you would need to turn off the sort function...but I'm not sure you can. Best case would be to sort on something other than the author name...then changing the author's name won't change the sort order.

If that makes sense...
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
search