Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-14-2015, 02:09 PM   #16
Andjety
Andjety began at the beginning.

Device: none
I understand. The first file was edited with the last sigil 0.8.2. thought.
I use it with a lot's of files (video, pdf ans links inside). But this is allowed by sigil itself.
Actually, i wish it would be easier to use this way...

It is for my personal use indeed.

Thank you to have took time to watch it.

Quote:
Let me ask this, then. If you're NOT editing the file when you take it to work
The files are in an extern HD that i use like a sort of second brain (it goes where i go).
Andjety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 02:27 PM   #17
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I will say that deleting the epub that was nested inside the Misc folder allowed Sigil to then open the epub OK. Did you you mean to have an epub inside an epub?
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2015, 11:06 PM   #18
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I will say that deleting the epub that was nested inside the Misc folder allowed Sigil to then open the epub OK. Did you you mean to have an epub inside an epub?
I vaguely remember seeing zipped CBZ files produced on a Mac that had files that were named like they were images, but were actually metadata files for the real images. They were in a subdirectory named something like __MACOSX. Is the hidden epub in such a directory?
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 07:41 AM   #19
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
I vaguely remember seeing zipped CBZ files produced on a Mac that had files that were named like they were images, but were actually metadata files for the real images. They were in a subdirectory named something like __MACOSX. Is the hidden epub in such a directory?
No, it was in the standard 'Misc' directory. Where Sigil would put such a file were it inadvertently added via the Add Existing Files feature.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:56 AM   #20
Andjety

Quote:
Did you you mean to have an epub inside an epub?
I see no reason why i should have done that. The other docs (pdf) are in the Misc, because i like to be able to open some file in an external programm with a clic on a link.
But i checked both broken files, and they have both an epub in the Misc folder.

How do you delete a file, without opening it with sigil?

I mean, i can extract it in a folder, but i don't know how to rebuild the epub.

Actually, i wish this fonction would exist in sigil: to link a file video, or pdf, that will open in a external programm. Now, i do it myself, by puting it in the Misc, and edit the link like \..\Misc\file.pdf (if i remember it right).
Advert
Old 01-15-2015, 11:59 AM   #21
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Open the "epub" with a Zip program such as WinZip and delete the unwanted content.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 12:50 PM   #22
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andjety View Post
I see no reason why i should have done that. The other docs (pdf) are in the Misc, because i like to be able to open some file in an external programm with a clic on a link.
But i checked both broken files, and they have both an epub in the Misc folder.
Maybe the epubs just got caught up when selecting multiple pdfs or something?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-15-2015 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:54 PM   #23
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Open the "epub" with a Zip program such as WinZip and delete the unwanted content.
That's how I go about it. Just keep in mind that depending on the program, it may result in an archive where the mimetype file gets compressed (and perhaps no longer the first entry in the archive) as a result. Not too big a deal, since it can be fixed by opening and saving with Sigil afterward.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:12 AM   #24
Andjety

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Thank you.

That works perfect. I tested it with the both broken epub files.

Now that i know that cause, i have no problem anymore.

Thank you again for your help!
Old 01-16-2015, 07:15 AM   #25
Andjety

Quote:
This seems unlikely to me, but i can't be sure. I will watch more closely later if it happens again, and tell you if i find out it happens without a cause (something impossible indeed).
Old 03-16-2017, 02:05 PM   #26
fkustaa
fkustaa began at the beginning.

Device: Laptop
Sigil Wont Open My Book File

I have been editing my 517-page book on Sigil, and I was just about to send a copy of it to be published in Amazon Kindle, but then the file won't open at all.

I tried to open the file with other editors such as Ebook editor and Calibre, but these programs are also unable to open the book file.

Do you have any suggestions on what to do based on your experience with Sigil when it comes to these types of problems.

I look forward to hearing from you.

FK
fkustaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 02:29 PM   #27
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkustaa View Post
I have been editing my 517-page book on Sigil, and I was just about to send a copy of it to be published in Amazon Kindle, but then the file won't open at all.

I tried to open the file with other editors such as Ebook editor and Calibre, but these programs are also unable to open the book file.

Do you have any suggestions on what to do based on your experience with Sigil when it comes to these types of problems.

I look forward to hearing from you.

FK
No Error message? We are not mind readers.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 05:08 PM   #28
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Since an ePub is zipped, why not try making a copy, rename the copy to have a zip extension, and then try opening that file with a zip program. It's possible that the ePub might be damaged
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:07 AM   #29
JustinThought
Groupie
JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab-3 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
That's my favorite trick. Add a group of graphics, then suddenly there's a file called "pspbrowse.jbf" lurking in the misc section. And to the credit of the programmers/maintainers of Sigil--whomever they might be (uh-hem!)--Sigil takes it in stride very gracefully.
JustinThought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:52 AM   #30
fkustaa
fkustaa began at the beginning.

Device: Laptop
Error Message: Book File Won't Open in Sigil

The message that I get in Sigil when that program fails to open the book file is as follows: “Cannot read file /Users/friedrichkustaa/Documents/Booker T Washington Book As Copy in Sigil-1.epub: file to open is a directory."
fkustaa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bug, calibre, sigil