Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 12-14-2011, 11:23 AM   #1
PAULINE BIRCHNAL
PAULINE BIRCHNAL began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-505
Blank Pages

I'm brand new to the forum and have looked for this problem and cannot find it mentioned - do forgive me if it is!!
I have been using Calibre to download to Sony E-Readers for some time and used to have no problems. Now I download to 3 different Sonys [belonging to family members] and more often than not on all 3 readers the first ten or so pages are downloaded and the rest of the download has blank pages. The download notes the full download value and all the pages are there - but they are blank! Can anyone help please?
PAULINE BIRCHNAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:27 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULINE BIRCHNAL View Post
Now I download to 3 different Sonys [belonging to family members] and more often than not on all 3 readers the first ten or so pages are downloaded and the rest of the download has blank pages. The download notes the full download value and all the pages are there - but they are blank! Can anyone help please?
If you view these same books with calibre's viewer I bet they view fine, don't they?

When you convert to ePub, under Preferences - Output options - ePub output you have to leave the "Split files larger than value" at 260k. If the value is over 300k when a book is converted the book will not be split into these manageable chunks (as required by the ADE ePub renderer used in your Sony readers) your reader will not be able to load the files and appear incomplete.

Take one of the books with the problem do an ePub to ePub conversion making sure the split is 260k. Then resend this output to your reader and the problem should be corrected.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2011, 05:19 AM   #3
PAULINE BIRCHNAL
PAULINE BIRCHNAL began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-505
You are absolutely right - when viewed within Calibre the books were fine. However, they are all fine now because I have followed you advice. I am very grateful. Thank you!
PAULINE BIRCHNAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:40 AM   #4
sammy
Connoisseur
sammy began at the beginning.

Device: sony PRS 700 entourage edge PB 360 PB603 Kindle DXG Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
If you view these same books with calibre's viewer I bet they view fine, don't they?

When you convert to ePub, under Preferences - Output options - ePub output you have to leave the "Split files larger than value" at 260k. If the value is over 300k when a book is converted the book will not be split into these manageable chunks (as required by the ADE ePub renderer used in your Sony readers) your reader will not be able to load the files and appear incomplete.

Take one of the books with the problem do an ePub to ePub conversion making sure the split is 260k. Then resend this output to your reader and the problem should be corrected.

Hi I read your quote and I have exactly the same problem but with my pdf-files. I have a onyx boox m92 and I want to read my articles in pdf because I can underline etc, but when I converted a epub to pdf ther is the whold pdf good to read in calibre but in the onyx there exist only the first 10 pages. May be cou can help me too?
sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:52 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy View Post
but when I converted a epub to pdf ther is the whold pdf good to read in calibre but in the onyx there exist only the first 10 pages. May be cou can help me too?
Here is a thread where someone claims to have a similar problem. I do not use PDF, but I can see why you want this format. I know of no problem that will cause what you see, hopefully someone else will come around and have more insight.

Just for fun, under Preferences - Output options - EPUB output, is the Split files larger tan: value set to 260k? If not change it to 260K. This setting only affects ePub output but if set higher it will cause havoc with ePub conversions working on ereaders.

Are you sure you are sending PDFs to your device?
Could the PDF be some strange combination of scanned images and text, where you only end up seeing the scanned text?

Sorry I can't help on this one.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2012, 12:47 PM   #6
sammy
Connoisseur
sammy began at the beginning.

Device: sony PRS 700 entourage edge PB 360 PB603 Kindle DXG Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Here is a thread where someone claims to have a similar problem. I do not use PDF, but I can see why you want this format. I know of no problem that will cause what you see, hopefully someone else will come around and have more insight.

Just for fun, under Preferences - Output options - EPUB output, is the Split files larger tan: value set to 260k? If not change it to 260K. This setting only affects ePub output but if set higher it will cause havoc with ePub conversions working on ereaders.

Are you sure you are sending PDFs to your device?
Could the PDF be some strange combination of scanned images and text, where you only end up seeing the scanned text?

Sorry I can't help on this one.

Good Luck.

Thanks a lot for your interest in my problem, I used different sources (scanned papers, epubs and originlal pdf) and converted with calibre. And all have only the first 10 pages, even when I put a pdf into calibre because I use it as library. So may be there is no chance for the moment and I use epub...But again thanks for your help
sammy is offline   Reply With Quote