Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-11-2017, 10:31 AM   #1
ibu
Addict
ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kobo H20, iPhone 6+, Macbook Pro
Feature Request: Option to disable creation of NCX

At the moment I'm developing a minimal EPUB3 testcase for eInk-Reader.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=284033

The Kobo, e.g. doesn't need a NCX, everything works fine with a nav.xhtml.

I would love to see an opt out option in Sigil for NCX.

It would be further nice, when one could choose, wether an entry "nav.xhtml" should appear in the spine or not.

Kobo works fine without.

See the attachement.

I take the chance to thank you Kevin and Doug for your work at Sigil. It's a great tool! Thanks for all the effort and time you spent on it.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Tanz_der_seligen_Geister_epub3_minimal.kobo.v1.kepub.epub (37.4 KB, 127 views)
ibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 11:40 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
It probably won't be a feature of Sigil, but I have a personal output plugin that removes the NCX from an EPUB3. I didn't think it would be of much use to others (since having an NCX in an EPUB3 for backward compatibility with EPUB2 reading systems is still spec-compliant), but I can polish it up a bit and publish it.

Sigil will add the NCX if you ever edit the epub again, so you'd have to remember to save a new copy with the output plugin.

As far as the NAV being in the spine or not ... just create a template epub that includes a "spined" or "spineless" NAV. No need to clutter Sigil's interface with special (and non-vital) options that can be accomplished easily enough with plugins or template epubs.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-11-2017 at 11:47 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 11:59 AM   #3
ibu
Addict
ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.

Thanks for your comments. Please let us know, when you publish the plugin.

Well, of course there are different opinions about code which contains every possible backward compatibility or code which is cleaner and simpler.
I prefer it, when there's a choice.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:42 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

NCXRemove output plugin

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-11-2017 at 04:17 PM.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:43 PM   #5
ibu
Addict

So fast! Thanks.

It seems, the URL is missing.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:20 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Whoops! Yeah, that url was never going to work.
Should be fixed now. The plugin can always be found from the Plugin Index, too. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
Old 03-12-2017, 07:13 PM   #7
ibu
Addict

Thanks. The plugin works fine.

Under macOS the "save as" dialog does not appear. The user has to open the "python tool" manually.
I had that effect with the plugin "epub3-itizer" too. The developer change something in the plugin, now the save as dialog opens.

The file content.opf comes without any line breaks.

That's for the first, is all what I tested at a glance. It's late at night.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:06 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Yes, the tkinter/Mac pop-under issue is well-known. I'll add Kevin's workaround if I get around to it. The next Sigil version will include PyQt5 which won't have the same problem. The plugin is already ready for this eventuality.

As far as the OPF line-breaks go ... I wouldn't know. The output passes EpubCheck (so long as the input did), and I only ever edit epubs with Sigil--which would reinsert line endings whenever I opened it anyway.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:52 AM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I released a new version of the plugin yesterday that I hope addresses both the issues you mentioned.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:11 AM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibu View Post
The Kobo, e.g. doesn't need a NCX, everything works fine with a nav.xhtml.
Minor nit: If you create a .kepub.epub, it will use a more-or-less epub3 compliant renderer. If you create a .epub, it will use Adobe's RMSDK which is epub2 with some epub3 features. A correctly created .kepub.epub also included a mass of spans allowing for easier text location when highlighting plus a few other oddments.

If you are using Calibre, you might want to check the output of the Kobo Touch Extended plugin in Calibre to see an example of converting an epub to a kepub.epub.

A sample from one ebook synced from Kobo:
Code:
  <p class="chapter"><span xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" class="koboSpan" id="kobo.1.1">CHAPTER THREE</span></p> 
  <p><span xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" class="koboSpan" id="kobo.2.1">*</span></p> 
  <p class="firstpara"><span xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" class="koboSpan" id="kobo.3.1">The dead prisoner had been ordered to open the ship’s airlock but had set off a booby trap. </span><span xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" class="koboSpan" id="kobo.3.2">Stuck at the front of his group of prisoners Jess had seen far more than he wanted of the death. </span><span xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" class="koboSpan" id="kobo.3.3">As the man had manipulated the door controls a blast of electricity had been unleashed, ripping through his body. </span><span xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" class="koboSpan" id="kobo.3.4">At least it had been fast. </span><span xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" class="koboSpan" id="kobo.3.5">Over the past four days Jess had seen many of his fellow prisoners die as they set off traps, most quickly but some lingering in agony until a guard grew tired of the noise and put a bullet in their head.</span></p>
My personal preference is to have the toc.ncx file present to allow for the possibility that someone will open the ebook using an epub2 renderer. It takes a minimal amount of space.

Last edited by DNSB; 03-15-2017 at 12:18 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote