Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-16-2014, 09:23 AM   #31
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Yesterday I was strongly considering getting the Aura....today I found a seller on Amazon offering the Aura HD for a rarely seen price, so I bought it. Yes it is bigger and heavier, but it is a LOT lighter than my tablets, which I have been reading on a lot lately. I can't wait to compare it to my Glo, which is nice, but the text is not as dark as on my tablets. Now I need to get on the ball and sell the extra Nook HD I have on hand....won't make up what I spent, but it's something

How much was this rarely seen price?
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:38 AM   #32
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
How much was this rarely seen price?
$129, with a case, and in like new condition. Also pictures of the actual device and case were provided. Box and cord, too.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2014, 09:55 AM   #33
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
$129, with a case, and in like new condition. Also pictures of the actual device and case were provided. Box and cord, too.

Why, you lucky ba*******![]

That's an incredible price. Let us all know about it when you get it.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:00 AM   #34
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I know....shouldn't have bought it, but couldn't resist. I'll just sell something else
Old 02-16-2014, 03:13 PM   #35
Anagnostis
Anagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with others

Device: Kindle PW/PW2 - Kobo Aura HD -iPad 3
Quote:
but the text is not as dark as on my tablets.

You can make them darker through the fonts advanced menu.
Anagnostis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2014, 04:03 PM   #36
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anagnostis View Post
You can make them darker through the fonts advanced menu.
I had forgotten about that. And that does make the Georgia font nice and dark. But I use a side loaded font, and the Advanced settings don't work for side loaded fonts. Georgia looks good, but then my formatting gets screwed up. I convert everything with "justification" but when I change it to a standard font, the justification disappears, even with the justification setting "on." So I'll stick with my side loaded font on those books. Or experiment with re-converting.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:18 PM   #37
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
... But I use a side loaded font, and the Advanced settings don't work for side loaded fonts.
Ah, but they do if you take a walk on the wild side with the Kobo Patcher
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:28 PM   #38
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Ah, but they do if you take a walk on the wild side with the Kobo Patcher
*sigh* you are bad, tempting me so! Now I have to go read up on it.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:41 PM   #39
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
*sigh* you are bad, tempting me so! Now I have to go read up on it.
Wouldn't want you to miss out

This is the main thread but it's a bit long and convoluted by now. GeoffR kindly put together this thread for fw 3.1.1 which is nicely condensed.

Once you get the AuraHD you can always use the Glo as a guinea-pig.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:16 PM   #40
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks, I'm looking through it....it looks very complicated. Plus I am running 2.6.1 on my Glo. But yeah, adjusting the advanced settings makes a HUGE difference. So I am trying to find out if this is something I can do.

It looks way too complicated.....when all I have to do is use the Georgia font, and reconvert my books to remove the "justification" code, which I probably didn't need, anyway. I can't believe what a difference the "advanced" settings make....all this time I was whining (to myself) about the text not being dark, and it was easily corrected! I have been using the Charis SIL modified larger font, which must be the same family or type of font as Georgia, as I like them both.

So I am a happy camper, with Kobo, once again....no need (for me) to hack it when it does everything I want it to do!

Last edited by booklover6; 02-17-2014 at 07:18 AM.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:40 AM   #41
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I know....shouldn't have bought it, but couldn't resist. I'll just sell something else
As long it's not the Kobo Mini They complement each other very well
I hope you'll like your new addition very much.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:58 AM   #42
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
As long it's not the Kobo Mini They complement each other very well
I hope you'll like your new addition very much.
You don't like your Mini? Or are you thinking the seller made a mistake? There were pictures of the actual device, so I know it is the Aura HD

Ohhh....you mean, as long as I am not selling the Mini. NO. I did that once already, then had to get another one, as I missed it. Never selling it! No, I have an extra tablet to sell. (Nook HD).

I know I am going to have to buy another cover....I am not really going to like the one it shipped with. So have to decide, black, brown, purple, pink? That pink is pretty, and I don't have any pink covers.....

Last edited by booklover6; 02-18-2014 at 07:01 AM.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:09 AM   #43
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
You don't like your Mini?
Far from it, this is my favourite one <3

Quote:
Ohhh....you mean, as long as I am not selling the Mini. NO. I did that once already, then had to get another one, as I missed it. Never selling it!
Yes, that's what I meant. The Mini is too lovely to be sold. And truly with the Mini and the Aura HD you have best of both worlds of sorts
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:14 AM   #44
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
Far from it, this is my favourite one <3

Yes, that's what I meant. The Mini is too lovely to be sold. And truly with the Mini and the Aura HD you have best of both worlds of sorts
Yeah, and a Glo, too....I am set. Though maybe I should look for a deal on a black Mini The one I have is white. I just adore the Mini.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:15 PM   #45
talaivan
Groupie
talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-505
I have an Aura hd, which I have used extensively for six months. I was intrigued by the comments about the new Aura, so I got one and have been using it for a few days. The Aura is fantastic -- it's very light, responsive, and extremely well made. It's hard to decide which is better. The bigger hd displays more text, obviously, and it has a higher resolution which, for me, is noticeable (the letters on the Aura are very slightly jagged). On the other hand, the ability to control the light with 2 fingers on the Aura is fantastic. In terms of what I use everyday, I'm leaning toward the Aura, mainly because it's SO portable, well-made, and responsive. The hd, in spite of its advantages, feels a bit clumsy compared to the Aura.
talaivan is offline   Reply With Quote