Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 11-28-2011, 09:56 AM   #1
dennis7450
dennis7450 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Word 2003 to Kindle

Hi,

I'm fairly new and having trouble with the conversion.

I have several novels in Word 2003. I want to publish them on Kindle and have tried several conversions, but there is always a SNAFU.

I used Calibre, and uploaded the MOBI file created by Calibre, and it was pretty good, but still some formatting errors. And these errors occur from the conversion. they are not in the original manuscript. the errors are font size in a few places, and not recognizing a return, i.e. when it might shift from dialogue to text, or vise versa.

I was going to pay a conversion place to do this, but the only hold back is that if i decide to do some future editing, I have to go through them.

I was going to buy WRITEWAY, which says it has a conversion "thing" in the program, but from what I can tell it just converts it back to WORD.

Any suggestions? This is not my strong suite, so it has to be dumb/simple.

thanks,

Dennis
dennis7450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:32 AM   #2
comtrjl
Connoisseur
comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Have you tried this:
http://www.mobipocket.com/en/Downloa...ilsCreator.asp
You can import Word 2003 docs directly or save them from Word as 'filtered html' and import that.

bob
comtrjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2011, 11:46 AM   #3
dennis7450
dennis7450 began at the beginning.

Device: none
thanks, bob.

i tried Mobipocket creator, and loaded one of my books into it, but I can't open the book to see how it looks. I have no idea how to use this program. I suppose I could just try uploading it to Kindle, but then I have to wait 12-24 hours before i can see if it converted okay.

Any suggestions?

thanks,

Dennis
dennis7450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:17 PM   #4
comtrjl
Connoisseur
comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

On the 1st page, import from existing file: either Word doc, or html or whatever.
On the 2nd page, select the doc and do the Import.
Once the file has been imported, you come to a page where you can set up a cover, table of contents etc - this is optional.
Click on 'Build' at the top, then on the 'Build' button.
If you have Mobipocket Reader installed you can preview it in there. The created prc file is likely in the same directory as the original Word doc. One of the Build result choices is to open the folder where it put the output file.

It's got a decent Help file also.

Any formatting really needs to be done by means of paragraph styles in Word before it is exported; Mobi Creator just does the book-making bit.

bob
comtrjl is offline   Reply With Quote