Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-01-2012, 12:16 AM   #16
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalCyclist View Post
debootstrap --arch=armel
I believe, you can also use armhf on Kindle Touch.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:13 AM   #17
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
I believe, you can also use armhf on Kindle Touch.
The hardware supports it, the existing Amazon provided libraries do not.
You'll need the "twobob method" of replacing the system library in use dynamically.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2012, 08:08 AM   #18
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The hardware supports it, the existing Amazon provided libraries do not.
You'll need the "twobob method" of replacing the system library in use dynamically.
Is any system libraries used with chroot to Debian?
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:48 AM   #19
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
Is any system libraries used with chroot to Debian?
The system dynamic loader is, even from within a chroot.
And that old one in the Amazon provided system does not know how to handle mixed mode libraries.

Unless you are specifically using VFP3 or NEON instructions, stick with the armel binaries.

(We have been through this before here, just not as often as: "Re-charge the battery".)
Old 09-23-2013, 11:52 PM   #20
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
More ARM compiled Linux binaries can run already. If you're talking about GUI ubuntu programs, then it's highly unlikely.
Now where is yifan to see how much progress we've done. Come here man, come.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2014, 10:06 PM   #21
Jackie Im
Jackie Im began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle white paper 2nd
How can I install dpkg to my kindle?

Hello~
I have kindle paper white.
My kindle was rooted.
I would like to install debian pkg to my kindle.
but my kindle does not have dpkg.
how can I install dpkg to my kindle?
Jackie Im is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:21 PM   #22
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Im View Post
Hello~
I have kindle paper white.
My kindle was rooted.
I would like to install debian pkg to my kindle.
but my kindle does not have dpkg.
how can I install dpkg to my kindle?
Wrong question - you can't (easily) install dpkg on your Kindle.
You will run out of resources to install / use dpkg long before you make much progress in that direction.

Instead:

Unpack the *.deb (it is an ar archive) -
Manually move the relevant portion of the the contents to user storage -
Move dependencies to user storage -
Set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH as required - ( http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Program-Librar...libraries.html ) -
Specify any sysroot needed -
execute the program.

twobob has posted a lot on the use of various Debian packages on the Kindle - with details of the setup involved.
He has also posted a script that will check the executable's dependencies against what is already stored on the Kindle, and list the ones you would need to add.

We also have a file system layout that we recommend be used:
https://bitbucket.org/twobob/kual-system

Be sure to use an old enough release of Debian that the Kindle's libc will be usable.
I seem to recall that most compatible Debian binaries come from the Woody release:
http://www.debian.org/distrib/archive
YMMV

- - - -

This thread is about running a copy of Debian in a (file based) chroot on the Kindle -
Another way to get a Debian application running (and this chroot does have dpkg installed in it).

If you can't get a Debian binary to run (for whatever reason) - you can build from the Debian source within this chroot (you may need to enable swap).
Some people find this method easier than cross-compiling.

Note: With swap enabled, you can build a fairly large application - -
twobob has built webkit-gtk in this chroot (it only took 2 1/2 days for the Kindle to get the job done).

Actually, back when he had hobby time available, twobob built / ported / cross-compiled nearly anything that would stand still long enough.
Lots and lots of examples left behind here (and on bit bucket, git hub, etc.)

- - - -

I sent him a (well, two) quad core ARM machine to use as a "build machine" a few months ago - something a tad bit faster than a slow, single core, Kindle.
when (if) he ever has any hobby time available - he will return.

- - - -

tl;dr: PS: Just what Debian package do you want to add? We may already have it here.

Last edited by knc1; 05-14-2014 at 10:41 PM.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:29 AM   #23
Jackie Im
Jackie Im began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle white paper 2nd
Thank you~~ ^____^
Jackie Im is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:55 AM   #24
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I'd add that, with no proper debricking possibilities on the PW (USB download mode) without opening it up, a full conversion on a PW is a risky endeavor anyway .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 03:13 AM   #25
SweetBearCub
SweetBearCub began at the beginning.

Device: Jail-broken USA Kindle Keyboard 3G v3.4.1
Question

So, I have a Kindle Keyboard 3G.

How far along is this distro, in practicality? (I've run Linux on a couple of machines, but I'm still not totally sure what I'm reading when it comes to technical details.)

I'd love to get it running on my Kindle so that I could read my books, listen to music and audiobooks, and a decent modern web browser. Hopefully, it could even support 3G. Perhaps a few simpler games, a slim copy of LibreOffice, and a calculator.
SweetBearCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:29 AM   #26
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Then spoiler: nope.

IIRC, it works fairly decently as a CLI system, with a few quirks, but a full GUI, not there yet.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 04:21 AM   #27
J_VM
J_VM began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Hello, I have a Kindle 4. I'd like to ask if the following is possible:

-I install Debian on my kindle
-I install Calibre on my kindle.
-I get it to download rss news, convert them to mobi, read them on my kindle.

Would this be possible? (everything from the command line of course, I understand the grephical interface is too much for kindle and anyway I'd do it as an automatic process)

Thank you in advance!
J_VM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 04:40 AM   #28
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_VM View Post
Hello, I have a Kindle 4. I'd like to ask if the following is possible:

-I install Debian on my kindle
-I install Calibre on my kindle.
-I get it to download rss news, convert them to mobi, read them on my kindle.

Would this be possible? (everything from the command line of course, I understand the grephical interface is too much for kindle and anyway I'd do it as an automatic process)

Thank you in advance!
Answering your last, first - - -

The keyboard **IS** graphical, what are you going to do for keyboard input?
(This is the general problem with the K4 - finding ways to handle keyboard input. Other models have either buttons or touch screen.)

I think we already have rss reader(s) that will work on the K4.
You might have to do some searching if no one offers a link.

Install ... on the K4 -
Yeah, right, where are you going to get the ARM build of it?
And the memory to run it in? (Unless you enable swap.)

Install Debian on the K4 -
Perhaps as a "headless" install (only) - no on device user interface.
See keyboard problem above.
Plus, the e-ink display is meta-stable - not like a video display with a regular refresh (and corresponding signals).
Old 04-19-2015, 04:53 PM   #29
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You could get a precompiled ARM build of calibre using ArchLinuxArm instead of debian.

As for automating calibre, ebook-convert (cli interface for conversion) accepts *.recipe as input for scripted news downloads. Just check the internal name of the news recipe, see: https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...master/recipes

But the main problem is that calibre uses a lot of memory to convert books. A mere 256MB won't begin to cover your needs.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 01:03 PM   #30
J_VM
J_VM began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Thank you, I'm currently trying to do the same from a raspberry pi and the copy the files to the kindle, I'll keep looking into that option.

Thank you!
J_VM is offline   Reply With Quote