Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-01-2012, 12:30 AM   #46
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
I work with an 84 year old 5 days a week who "mans" the counciling hot line. She says "You youngens are in the prime of your life. Enjoy them while they last because in the blink of an eye they'll be gone." All her friends and past husbands have all gone to the "moon", as she puts it.
Speaking of electronic items. She remembers when they got electricity.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:02 AM   #47
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Parkinson View Post
Paper tape. I always bring up paper tape when people mention punch cards. I did use punch cards, but one of the machines I worked on (in fact the first one that I could claim some actual professional association with) used paper tape. Ghastly stuff.
Actually, I used the 026 in University. Then I went to work for DEC and got introduced to paper tapes. When I taught the PDP-8 Programming course, we would start loading the Focal interpreter with the ASR-33 teletype reader and then go out to lunch because it took at least 20 minutes to load. The High-Speed reader was a great advance, but the DF32 disk with 32000 word capacity was sheer heaven.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:53 AM   #48
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
You know you're getting old when your pre-teen asks "Whats VHS?"
You know you're getting old when your child thinks VHS is a sexually transmitted disease.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:52 PM   #49
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
You know you are getting older when you have another birthday. Seems obvious but it was my 51st birthday this Christmas and I lay there in bed before getting up and just thought, "Wow, that is a lot of birthdays."

Last edited by HappyMartin; 01-01-2012 at 01:12 PM.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:04 PM   #50
DrDln
Banned
DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
You know you're getting old when you don't like adding another year to your age on your birthday.
DrDln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:15 PM   #51
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
Actually, I used the 026 in University. Then I went to work for DEC and got introduced to paper tapes. When I taught the PDP-8 Programming course, we would start loading the Focal interpreter with the ASR-33 teletype reader and then go out to lunch because it took at least 20 minutes to load. The High-Speed reader was a great advance, but the DF32 disk with 32000 word capacity was sheer heaven.
Oooh yes - remember paper tape and those incredibly fast processing speeds!
What about Visicalc? Programming in Basic? The first time you used a mouse!
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:00 PM   #52
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by CazMar View Post
Oooh yes - remember paper tape and those incredibly fast processing speeds!
What about Visicalc? Programming in Basic? The first time you used a mouse!
I remember Basic well. I wrote an entire database program in Basic...and it was so beautiful. I...[sniff]...miss Basic.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:13 PM   #53
VeggieCat
Bacon Enthusiast
VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10, Kindle Voyage, iPod Nano 7th gen (for audiobooks)
Forewarning- I'm an 80's child

You know you're getting older when...

sometimes you had to blow in your video game cartriges to get them to work

words like "rad" and "tubular" were a regular part of your vocabulary

you used to devour Choose Your Own Adventure books

you actually wore things like stirrup pants, jelly shoes, and hypercolor shirts

I could go on and on and on...
VeggieCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:36 PM   #54
DrDln
Banned
DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You know you're getting old if you learned typing on typewriter.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:37 AM   #55
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
you remember when the History Channel had programming about history, the Learning Channel had educational programs instead of reality shows appealing to every sexual fetish out there from fat brides to tattoos to kiddie por...i mean child beauty pageants and X-Men 2 wasn't considered an American Movie Classic.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:30 AM   #56
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
you remember when the History Channel had programming about history, the Learning Channel had educational programs instead of reality shows
And MTV was known for its music...
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:18 AM   #57
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire1 View Post
I remember Basic well. I wrote an entire database program in Basic...and it was so beautiful. I...[sniff]...miss Basic.
Whenever I think of Fortran I get all misty eyed.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:28 AM   #58
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^Lol.

The first PC I programmed on was the SuperPet. I remember having to reset the PDP-11 in the computer labs at University.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:39 AM   #59
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDln View Post
You know you're getting old if you learned typing on typewriter.
I learned it on an electronic one, which was fine by me. As I simply can't press any keys down with my pinkies on a normal typewriter!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:41 PM   #60
DrDln
Banned

You know you're getting old if you still mail your utilities bill.