Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-22-2011, 10:12 AM   #91
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
There are no scroll bars that I've seen in Android fields. It works, it's just takes practice.
Will tell her to try again. It was late last night when she tried.

Thanks
Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:29 PM   #92
Art's Tart
Art's Tart can name that song in three notesArt's Tart can name that song in three notesArt's Tart can name that song in three notesArt's Tart can name that song in three notesArt's Tart can name that song in three notesArt's Tart can name that song in three notesArt's Tart can name that song in three notesArt's Tart can name that song in three notesArt's Tart can name that song in three notesArt's Tart can name that song in three notesArt's Tart can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle 3G, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Yep, what Scion and Jack said. Sounds like possible wifi issues and while I've had no problems at all (in fact I just ordered 3 more Fires for presents!) I did read a rumor that some people were having wifi issues.

If you call customer service, I'm sure they'll take care of you.

Please do let us know what happens.
TO EVERYONE WHO RESPONDED TO MY POST and to those who are participating and trying to help the rest of us.

I did the factory reset and things are working much better now. I've moved away from the "this is going back" mindset and am inclined to keep it.

I was able to get the PDF email attachment to come through and download, and was pleasantly surprised that the Fire gave me the option to open it for a Kindle view instead of PDF. Neat.

Again, thanks for all the help.
Art's Tart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:35 PM   #93
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art's Tart View Post
TO EVERYONE WHO RESPONDED TO MY POST and to those who are participating and trying to help the rest of us.

I did the factory reset and things are working much better now. I've moved away from the "this is going back" mindset and am inclined to keep it.

I was able to get the PDF email attachment to come through and download, and was pleasantly surprised that the Fire gave me the option to open it for a Kindle view instead of PDF. Neat.

Again, thanks for all the help.
Woo Hoo! Glad it worked out. We've all experienced frustration.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:04 PM   #94
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One of the magazines I'm getting through the NOOK app has been formatted for the Fire. I tried it a few days ago and it was the basic RSS feed for the eInk Kindle. So it looks like they are planning to convert everything over from basic RSS feed layout to true magazine experience.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:19 PM   #95
SCION
Séduisant

I downloaded my first movie rental last night. Decided to test it after reading complaints on Amazon.com that offline viewing isn't working. It does work.

Movie (Batman Begins) took 1.5 hours to download (2.5 hours runtime). You need to exit from the screen that you began downloading on. Go back into your video library (on device) and you'll see a green check mark next to the download symbol. Tap on the movie icon and it will begin to play offline. I confirmed WiFi was disconnected.

What probably happened is folks are still on the same screen they began downloading on. If you press Watch Now (when disconnected from WiFi) it will not work. That's for streaming while you are downloading.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:29 PM   #96
gardenfun456
gardenfun456 can name that song in three notesgardenfun456 can name that song in three notesgardenfun456 can name that song in three notesgardenfun456 can name that song in three notesgardenfun456 can name that song in three notesgardenfun456 can name that song in three notesgardenfun456 can name that song in three notesgardenfun456 can name that song in three notesgardenfun456 can name that song in three notesgardenfun456 can name that song in three notesgardenfun456 can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle 1, 2, 3 and Kindle Fire
I like my Fire more every day (and that's saying a lot since I've loved it from the beginning). It does everything I need and is the perfect size for me to take with me on the go. I haven't had any problems with not being around WIFI when I'm away from the house, but if it does become an issue, I think I'll just get a personal hotspot from one of the phone companies. It will still be cheaper than getting an IPad that does more stuff than I will ever need.

I appreciate reading all the positive posts and tips from other users.

ETA on scale of 1 to 10, probably a 12!!!!

Virginia
gardenfun456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:59 PM   #97
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I downloaded my first movie rental last night. Decided to test it after reading complaints on Amazon.com that offline viewing isn't working. It does work.

Movie (Batman Begins) took 1.5 hours to download (2.5 hours runtime). You need to exit from the screen that you began downloading on. Go back into your video library (on device) and you'll see a green check mark next to the download symbol. Tap on the movie icon and it will begin to play offline. I confirmed WiFi was disconnected.

What probably happened is folks are still on the same screen they began downloading on. If you press Watch Now (when disconnected from WiFi) it will not work. That's for streaming while you are downloading.
Haven't tried downloading movies yet.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:17 PM   #98
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Well I bought the 7" SGT when the price lowered and have been enjoying it for about a year now. I can use the nook app, kobo app, netflix (which I just recently downloaded), play some games and web browse pretty good (depending how good the wi-fi is in a particular location).

No probably downloading from the amazon app store as well. I wouldn't mind a reasonably priced new toy and I'm enjoying reading through this thread. I don't think the Nook tablet will keep me happy as it is too restrictive and I'm not a rooter type.

What do you think about getting this after reading what I can go with the SGT?

Last edited by robertc88; 11-23-2011 at 05:23 PM.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:25 PM   #99
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post

What do you think about getting this after reading what I can go with the SGT?
A few of us had a Honeycomb tablet prior to getting the Fire. We see the Fire as a complement, not necessarily a replacement.

Given your SGT is 7" would you be looking to replace it with the Fire? You wouldn't have access to some of the stock Google apps. Would that be a problem?
Old 11-23-2011, 05:45 PM   #100
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
A few of us had a Honeycomb tablet prior to getting the Fire. We see the Fire as a complement, not necessarily a replacement.

Given your SGT is 7" would you be looking to replace it with the Fire? You wouldn't have access to some of the stock Google apps. Would that be a problem?
I don't think so about the google apps as I pretty much outlined what I've been using the SGT for. If that is all I'd be missing than it may eventually replace the SGT.

I've been messing with it in BB but it isn't fully accessible, the demo mode is enabled. I can play the available music, movies/video, browse the available books and magazines, etc. Pretty much liking what I'm seeing and hearing.

I REALLY like the screen picture quality the Fire is showing. The SGT just doesn't seem to stand out as much when I utilize it. Maybe I need to do some adjustments on the SGT so I'll look into that.

I had the NC for awhile but I returned it within the BB return ploicy period. I feel I would do the same with the NT if I bought it. The Fire is cheaper anyway and I wouldn't root.

Last edited by robertc88; 11-23-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:50 PM   #101
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
I don't think so about the google apps as I pretty much outlined what I've been using the SGT for. If that is all I'd be missing than it may eventually replace the SGT.

I've been messing with it in BB but it isn't fully accessible, the demo mode is enabled. I can play the available music, movies/video, browse the available books and magazines, etc. Pretty much liking what I'm seeing and hearing.

I REALLY like the screen picture quality the Fire is showing. The SGT just doesn't seem to stand out as much when I utilize it. Maybe I need to do some adjustments on the SGT so I'll look into that.

I had the NC for awhile but I returned it within the BB return ploicy period. I feel I would do the same with the NT if I bought it. The Fire is cheaper anyway and I wouldn't root.
I would order it from Amazon. If you decide to return it, there's no restocking fee. Use it for a couple of weeks and see if it would replace your SGT. Sideload the apps you currently use day-to-day and evaluate its usefulness.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:57 PM   #102
robertc88
Fanatic

Quote:
I would order it from Amazon. If you decide to return it, there's no restocking fee. Use it for a couple of weeks and see if it would replace your SGT. Sideload the apps you currently use day-to-day and evaluate its usefulness.
If I buy it from BB, I have till January 24th to return it with no restocking fee. That is what I did with the NC, bought it there which is only a stone's throw from my house, tried it for a month and decided it wasn't right for me. It gave me no problems and I felt bad returning it but they want HAPPY customers so their return policy is fairly liberal.

My happy mode with the SGT is 8.0 by the way.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:18 PM   #103
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
If I buy it from BB, I have till January 24th to return it with no restocking fee. That is what I did with the NC, bought it there which is only a stone's throw from my house, tried it for a month and decided it wasn't right for me. It gave me no problems and I felt bad returning it but they want HAPPY customers so their return policy is fairly liberal.

My happy mode with the SGT is 8.0 by the way.
OK I can't see your happy mode being any less than that with the Fire. You seem to have your expectations in check.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:56 PM   #104
goggin
Enthusiast
goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: kindle
Quote:

Thanks! I haven't tried that yet, but I did try streaming a movie from my Amazon video library -- "Twister" with Helen Hunt and Bill Paxton -- and it worked great. In fact, I only intended it as a test and liked it so much I wound up watching the whole movie again
goggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:01 PM   #105
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I'm hooked on Firefly.

May have a Thanksgiving Day FireFly marathon.

Last edited by kennyc; 11-23-2011 at 07:08 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote