Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-07-2010, 05:58 PM   #31
ForceMd
ForceMd is on a distinguished road

Device: iPad: (Thinks to himself; Kindle or Nook; Hmmm...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerLock View Post
Does anyone know if tax is applied to the price you see at borders, or is the price listed the actual price you pay?
Tax is added according to your zip code.
ForceMd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:11 PM   #32
frquixote
Addict
frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO Libra 2, Kindle PW3, Samsung 8A Tablet, Samsung S10e Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I don't know why these stores don't make Kindle compatible files... oh well... back to Amazon to buy some ebooks...

BOb
I guess for the same reason Amazon doesn't make ePub compatible files ...

Would love to buy from Amazon's terrific selection if they supported ePub and allowed me to download my books and keep them safe like I can with ePubs I archive on my PC and have available for reading on my Sony PRS-505!

In the meantime, guess I'll just have to buy from Borders, Sony, Smashwords, BoB, Diesel and the many others out there who are adopting the industry standard that can be read by a variety of eReader hardware and software.

Last edited by frquixote; 07-07-2010 at 06:15 PM.
frquixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2010, 07:04 PM   #33
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
They are cheaper than the Sony store for some books I've recently bought, dammit!
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:22 PM   #34
willanaya
Enthusiast
willanaya began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-350
does this mean we see a Sony android app soon?

barnes and noble dropped theirs, then kindle, now borders, wish sony would do something
willanaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:54 PM   #35
julia103
Connoisseur
julia103 doesn't litterjulia103 doesn't litterjulia103 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
And yes - some big gaps - for ex. no Martha Grimes - a number of Penguin titles I checked weren't there - more "negotiations"?
It seems that many of the fiction books (I didn't look for non-fiction) are only searchable by title, not by author. I found Martha Grimes titles Foul Matter, The Blue Last, The Lamorna Wink, and The Grave Maurice but only by putting in the title.

I had noticed this earlier when I was comparison shopping for S.M. Stirling's "Change" novels. None of his titles came up when I put Stirling in the search field, but most did come up if I knew the name of the book.

If I can't find a book by the author's name I'm more likely to stick with Kobo and Sony, which do have them cross-indexed by author.
julia103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2010, 01:36 AM   #36
krischik
Addict
krischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheese

Device: P990i, PRS 505
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I don't know why these stores don't make Kindle compatible files... oh well... back to Amazon to buy some ebooks.BOb
Perhaps because the only other company who can officially encrypt .prc files is Mobipocket. And now guess who own Mobipocket ever since 2005.

Martin
krischik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:44 AM   #37
krischik
Addict
krischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceMd View Post
like netflicks but not iTunes.
Under which rock have you slept the last what two years or so? T bring you up to current affairs: iTunes songs come now without DRM and with standard mp4 format [1].

Martin

[1] I know all the details, no need to repeat them.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:04 AM   #38
BexBits
Zealot
BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Nook classic, Nook Simple Touch, Nook HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
T
Am I missing something, or does the listing for "Morning Star by Wilkie Collins" show a cover indicating it's by H. Rider Haggard?
Yes, it does. I'm sure Collins and Haggard are both surprised.
BexBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:13 AM   #39
krischik
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by willanaya View Post
does this mean we see a Sony android app soon?
What for?

http://www.androlib.com/android.appl...diko-jmEC.aspx

http://www.androlib.com/android.appl...droid-xwz.aspx

http://www.androlib.com/android.appl...ader-pjjA.aspx

http://de.androlib.com/android.appli...layer-xtj.aspx

There are so many book readers already for Android. Ahh, you mean because of DRM? Then why not iRiver, iRex, Barnes & Noble or any other company who (officially) knows how to decrypt ADE?

Martin
Old 07-08-2010, 05:23 AM   #40
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by BexBits View Post
Yes, it does. I'm sure Collins and Haggard are both surprised.
I'm sure Haggard would be ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:15 AM   #41
zacheryjensen
Addict
zacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by batgirl View Post
So do I have to download the Borders app in order to purchase books from Borders? I don't have to download any additional software (outside ADE) for Kobo's bookstore. I find the fact that I have to download software from each store in order to buy from it beyond annoying.
I bought a book, it asked me to use Adobe Digital Editions. I already had it. I downloaded the book and immediately cleaned it up with ineptepub and it works great on in iBooks on my iPad and iPhone

It's good to have another choice at least. Whether it will make any difference... I don't really care!
zacheryjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:38 AM   #42
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
You really don't need their software to purchase the book, all you need Adobe Digital Edition. You can purchase it via the web and that's great. You need the Adobe software to download the book after purchase, I actually had a choice of which software to use (using a Firefox Browser) and chose the Sony Reader software to download the book.

I have screen shots and a brief tutorial for the Sony Reader Owners (Should also work for the Nook owners.)

http://sonyreaderboards.com/index.cg...lay&thread=626

Last edited by Lilly; 07-08-2010 at 07:43 AM.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:59 AM   #43
batgirl
Enthusiast
batgirl doesn't litterbatgirl doesn't litter

Device: PocketBook360
Thanks zacheryjensen and Lilly! The instructions on their website tell you to download the Borders software. Glad to hear that this is not necessary.
batgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:17 AM   #44
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
"Would love to buy from Amazon's terrific selection if they supported ePub and allowed me to download my books and keep them safe like I can with ePubs I archive on my PC and have available for reading on my Sony PRS-505!"

If you shop Amazon, scroll down to where it says:

Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited

If you see these words, the Kindle file is DRM-free. You can download the file to your computer, "add" the book to calibre and convert it to ePub.

When I uploaded Risen for Kindle, I had the option to apply DRM or not and chose not to. I assume that other publishers have this option as well, so I would blame them for using the DRM that cripples your use of the books you've bought.

It's too bad that bookstores are locked in this "Beta vs. VHS" type of format war, but it seems that corporations are incapable of learning from history. They are like dogs that have to growl and snap at one another for awhile before sorting it out and learning to peacefully coexist to their mutual benefit.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:53 AM   #45
ejereader
ejereader began at the beginning.

Device: 505
I went to the new Borders Ebook store yesterday and bought a book (cheap) to see if it worked with my Sony 505. I see no substantive difference between what I downloaded (Stephen King's The Colorado Kid) and the others I have purchased from the Sony site. I did this because some (I have not done an exhaustive search by any means) of the Borders books appear to be cheaper (e.g., Lee Child's Enemy 8.99 at Sony, 7.79 at Borders) while others are identical. I routinely get percentage off coupons from Borders through email that always exclude ebooks. I am assuming (hoping) that with the new store I will begin to see percentage off coupons for the Borders ebook site that will make it cheaper to buy there.
ejereader is offline   Reply With Quote