Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-01-2006, 09:36 AM   #1
jtsongas
jtsongas began at the beginning.

Looking for recommendations

All:

I am looking at all the different devices and would like some help understanding which if any devices can do the things I need. I guess I am feeling a bit overwhelmed with all the information and need to help of those more educated on e-books.

I have a number of large 300+ page PDFs I need to reference very often in my job and would like to do this using an e-book. The one important feature I need is the ability to search the PDFs for specific text. For example, one document is a list of specifications and I need to be able to search for the specific specification number to pull up the information on demand.

Is there a device out there that can give me?:
1. Ability to view PDFs.
2. Ability to search the text of the PDF.

I am less concerned about price as they all seem to be within an acceptable range. Color is definitely not a necessity and I would happily take monochrome with decent resolution.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions/comments anyone may be able to provide.

Thanks,
Jason Tsongas
jtsongas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 12:28 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Right now, the iLiad is your only real option for that if you want e-ink. Its 8" screen is still a bit small for A4/letter sized PDFs, and I don't actually know if it'll search them (I have the Sony Reader).

There are some alleged 10" models coming from HanLin, you may want to look at those. But they haven't done a very good job of getting products to market so far.

If you don't care about e-ink, then a tablet PC might be a better option. They're heavy and don't have very good battery life yet, but they'll do what you want.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2006, 12:52 PM   #3
jtsongas
jtsongas began at the beginning.

NatCh:

Thanks for the reply. I really am looking for something e-ink based because of the negatives you mention with a tablet PC. Its too bad there is not a device which can search the documents you have on them. I don't think it is too much to ask for a simple search capability.

Thanks,
Jason
jtsongas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 01:37 PM   #4
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsongas
All:

I have a number of large 300+ page PDFs I need to reference very often in my job and would like to do this using an e-book. The one important feature I need is the ability to search the PDFs for specific text. For example, one document is a list of specifications and I need to be able to search for the specific specification number to pull up the information on demand.

Is there a device out there that can give me?:
1. Ability to view PDFs.
2. Ability to search the text of the PDF.
These requirements are roughly why tablet pc's were introduced for what was called the "vertical market". As mentioned, they have lots of drawbacks, but there are some that are under 2 lbs and you always can carry a spare battery. Expensive though...

Unfortunately, though we all would love an ereader with those capabilities, personally I think that the computing power and the sharpness and resolution of the screen required makes it very unlikely we will get something like that soon, for the simple reason that at minimal extra cost you could make it a tablet and sell it as such.

Liviu
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 01:52 PM   #5
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
A serach feature for PDFs is planned for the iLiad, but noone knows when that feature will make it to the users (probably not even people at Irex know )

I am too waiting for such a feature.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2006, 03:03 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Ah, perhaps that's why I couldn't remember.

Maybe one of 'Independent Developers' here at MR will whip something up. Scotty1024 has already done a lot of work on the PDF viewer....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 09:08 AM   #7
iprofs
iprofs began at the beginning.

Feeling Lost

I, too, am overwhelemed with all of the information! I am not technical, but am an avid reader. I purchased the Sony Reader, but have not opened it and am about to return it. What I really wanted was a lightweight, portable reader that I could use to read in the car or in bed without using a clip-on book light. I didn't know that the Sony Reader has no backlight. Therefore it would be no different than having a paperback and using the clip-on light!

Is there a reader designed to be lightweight, portable, with a light that you can purchase well known novels for? Also, do any come with color? I've heard about ebookwise, but I'm so confused, I don't know which to turn to!
iprofs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 09:39 AM   #8
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
There was an ad last weekend for a Toshebia tablet in the $800 range after rebate. It was not identified as as one of the must buy by noon or only 5 per store. Perhaps the price is dropping because of poor sales or a new model coming out.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote