Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-10-2016, 06:46 AM   #1
commandante
Member Retired
commandante is a glorious beacon of lightcommandante is a glorious beacon of lightcommandante is a glorious beacon of lightcommandante is a glorious beacon of lightcommandante is a glorious beacon of lightcommandante is a glorious beacon of lightcommandante is a glorious beacon of lightcommandante is a glorious beacon of lightcommandante is a glorious beacon of lightcommandante is a glorious beacon of lightcommandante is a glorious beacon of light

Device: none
Applying automatically a custom label

Hi,

Is it possible to create rules so that calibre automatically apply labels? Basically, I would like calibre to automatically set the labels associated to one author, to the new books that I import from that same author.

For example, let's say I label a book of Kant as "Philosophy":
Kant - Ttile 1 - Philosophy

I would like that when I import Kant's books, calibre automatically label these ebooks as "Philosophy".

I am aware it rises some issues: what if two different books of Kant have different labels? Then I would probably like to add them both. Any idea if such a thing is possible?

Thanks,
commandante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:06 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@commandante - you should be able to do this with User Categories, see Tag Browser

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2016, 10:06 AM   #3
commandante
Member Retired
commandante is a glorious beacon of lightcommandante is a glorious beacon of lightcommandante is a glorious beacon of lightcommandante is a glorious beacon of lightcommandante is a glorious beacon of lightcommandante is a glorious beacon of lightcommandante is a glorious beacon of lightcommandante is a glorious beacon of lightcommandante is a glorious beacon of lightcommandante is a glorious beacon of lightcommandante is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@commandante - you should be able to do this with User Categories, see Tag Browser

BR
Are you sure I can apply labels automatically based on some rules?
Old 07-10-2016, 04:39 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@commandante - pretty sure - create a User Category called Philosophy, add relevant Authors - e.g. Immanuel Kant, Thomas Hobbes, Peter Singer, John Locke etc - to it. There has to be a book by the author, you could create 'empty books' as place-holders for Philosophers whose works you don't yet have.

Search on @Philosophy will find all the books you have by those authors, and when you add Peter Singer's "The Most Good You Can Do" it would, by definition, show in that search, which could be Saved or used to create a Virtual Library.

Added : the English version of calibre uses the words 'tag' and 'category' interchangeably - hence Tag Browser, the top level items of which (Authors, Publishers, Saved Searches and Tags) are collectively referred to as 'categories'. I don't recall seeing the term 'label' used in the product nor in the doco.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-10-2016 at 04:52 PM.
Old 07-12-2016, 11:19 AM   #5
commandante
Member Retired

I will do some more tests, but it seems good. Thanks!
Advert
Old 07-23-2016, 04:38 AM   #6
commandante
Member Retired

Your method works well for the tags browser. However I wanted it to automatically appear in the "Tags" column. Like this:

If it is not possible, can I create a custom column that would contain all the user categories that I would create (Philosophy, Science...) ?

Edit: I created a custom column with
Quote:
program: user_categories()
, but I still would like to know if it is possible to write the user categories in the "Tags" column.

Last edited by commandante; 07-23-2016 at 05:01 AM.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:24 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by commandante View Post
Your method works well for the tags browser. However I wanted it to automatically appear in the "Tags" column.

If it is not possible, can I create a custom column that would contain all the user categories that I would create (Philosophy, Science...) ?

Edit: I created a custom column with , but I still would like to know if it is possible to write the user categories in the "Tags" column.
@commandante - here's a couple of ideas, other folks might have alternatives.
  • Use Bulk Metadata Edit to append your custom column onto the Tags column, but that wouldn't happen automatically, it needs manual intervention;
  • or append the Tags column onto your custom column, that would not require manual intervention.
Be aware that custom columns built from other columns can have a negative effect on performance.

Thought, surely some people who wrote philosophical works also wrote non-philosophical works. J.B.S Haldane springs to mind, would you want his works on biochemistry tagged as Philosophy?

BR