Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-12-2018, 03:18 PM   #91
palli.90
palli.90 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Question

Hi guys!
I am noob in ereader and I buy my first one, a Kobo One. My case I will use often it to read pdf (manuals). is better install KOReader?

Tnk u!

p.s. I think this is the wrong place

Last edited by palli.90; 07-12-2018 at 03:24 PM.
palli.90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 04:21 PM   #92
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@palli.90: Yep, you can ask general KOReader questions in its dedicated forum .

(And taking a look at its Wiki may also be a good start).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:39 PM   #93
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@davidfor: In some (most?) cases, letting Nickel handle the processing may also be highly unwanted behavior, if you care about quality (and I do ^^).
From what I see, most people don't care. In general, I'm one of them. I do make sure my starting cover in calibre is good, but, I don't look at them enough on the device to worry to much. People seem to be more concerned about the space taken by the cover images. That's why I looked at removing the large covers.

And I'm not ignoring the other thread, just waiting for some time to think about it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:06 PM   #94
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@davidfor: I'm certainly not going to argue with you on that one: I hadn't touched that patch in over two years, and was living with a vanilla Calibre build just fine, only getting moderately annoyed every time I dug up the PW2 .
[Speaking of: I just squashed stuff on GitHub to make it slightly easier to review].

But now that I know it can be done properly, I'm pretty glad I looked into it again .
And we do have a few people who do care about it (hi, @jackie_w ).

(FWIW, with all the bells & whistles enabled (i.e., PNG), it does generate slightly smaller files to boot, on the whole ).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-12-2018 at 08:13 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:41 PM   #95
NiLuJe
BLAM!

And finally released v1.2.0 for good, with FBInk integration for visual feedback, and a new default watch that makes use of it to print the last few lines of KFMon's log .

NOTE: Yes, KFMon's startup message, the one shown during boot, may still be printed in a weird rotation and/or location.
That's a known issue, but I can't easily replicate those early boot conditions, and they may be device-specific in a way that's hard and/or annoying to detect.
Plus, on-animator's progress bar will overwrite it pretty soon, so at best you'll see a flash of something resembling text, and that's it. (I've always had to resort to video + frame-stepping to figure out exactly how wrong it was printed ^^).

I may end up just ditching that text if it annoys me too much.

Also, to people who ran a 1.1.0 RC: I fixed a bug that prevented messages to properly show on screen when you happened to add a new watch icon in a small batch (meaning it'd be shown on the Home screen). The fix never made it into any released RC. Stuff worked perfectly fine for existing setups with every watch processed, though.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-13-2018 at 02:58 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:52 PM   #96
NiLuJe
BLAM!

And because apparently this bears repeating: macOS's handling of archives is terrible.

First, don't let Safari unpack everything automatically for you, that'll most likely be more of a hassle than anything (c.f., first screenshot).

Second, don't let your GUI unarchiver do anything too smart, like unpacking stuff in a subdirectory, that'll obviously be counter-productive here. (c.f., second screenshot, from The Unarchiver's settings).

Third, unless you went to a lot of trouble to make it do what you want, be aware that you will NOT see the two hidden folders (.adds & .kobo) found in the zip and on your Kobo's storage in Finder. But, you can use the wonderful Command+Shift+G keyboard shortcut ("Go To") to manually enter the location you want to browse to, hidden folders included.

EDIT: You can also temporarily toggle the display of hidden files in Finder with the Command+Shift+. shortcut (which may translate to Fn+Command+Shift+whatever base key . is on in your layout, i.e., Fn+Command+Shift+; on an AZERTY keyboard. Yes, Apple's AZERTY layout is utterly braindead.).

(You can also simply avoid most of this pain by firing up your favorite Terminal app and just use unzip on the CLI).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Safari.png
Views:	1761
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	165025   Click image for larger version

Name:	Unarchiver.png
Views:	1817
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	165026  

Last edited by NiLuJe; 12-01-2018 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:01 AM   #97
lohimami
lohimami began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Thank for your app. It's very useful but please help me to remove or change KFMon's startup message: [KFMon] Launched koreader.sh : )
lohimami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:06 PM   #98
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@lohimami: That's going to be an all-or-nothing, but yeah, I guess I can probably make FBInk messages optional.

EDIT: Ngh, probably only for the notification level prints (i.e., KFMon's startup and successful launches), which should be good enough .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-19-2018 at 12:15 PM.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:10 PM   #99
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Released v1.2.5 .

Adds a config option to toggle INFO level on-screen notifications, as mentioned in the previous message .
Old 09-19-2018, 12:50 PM   #100
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Released v1.2.6 .

This is mostly a fairly boring maintenance release, with updated dependencies, minor code tweaks, and a smarter printlog script.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:13 PM   #101
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Released v1.2.6 .

This is mostly a fairly boring maintenance release, with updated dependencies, minor code tweaks, and a smarter printlog script.
Looks good
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:23 PM   #102
pc999
pc999 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Hi,

I just got a Kobo Clara HD and I tried to instal KFMon and Koreader, I followed this instructions:

https://github.com/koreader/koreader/wiki

But for some reason nothing really happens. I get a png of both KFMon and Koreader but when I try to open them, I just get to see the image.

Anyone knows what I am doing wrong? It is really just extracting the contents of the zip to the Kobo? I am using Linux does it make any difference?

Any help would be greatly apreciated. Thanks in advance.

Thanks in advance.
pc999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 06:08 AM   #103
jcn363
absolute beginner
jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ka1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pc999 View Post
Anyone knows what I am doing wrong? It is really just extracting the contents of the zip to the Kobo? I am using Linux does it make any difference?
* Extract the full content of this archive into the root directory of your device.
* Extract the koreader folder of the zip into the .adds directory of your device.
* Eject and unplug your device.

Yes it's that simple. Linux is not a problem.

Here, under "Alternate installation method based on KFMon" you should find a solution.

Good luck.
jcn363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 06:56 PM   #104
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@pc999: I'm guessing something tried to do something "smart" along the way, like hiding/skipping *nix hidden directories (like what happens on macOS).

As usual, the fool-proof approach is just to use unzip from the CLI .
Old 10-10-2018, 07:50 PM   #105
pc999
pc999 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcn363 View Post
* Extract the full content of this archive into the root directory of your device.
* Extract the koreader folder of the zip into the .adds directory of your device.
* Eject and unplug your device.

Yes it's that simple. Linux is not a problem.

Here, under "Alternate installation method based on KFMon" you should find a solution.

Good luck.

That worked

Besides using those files, I actually clicked on the extract button, instead of just opening the files and drag the files to the Kobo. Meybe that was my mistake.

Anyway it is really easy to install and I can finally rest my eyes from a computer monitor

Thanks.
pc999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fmon, kfmon, kobo, launcher