Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 02-19-2018, 07:38 AM   #1
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Audio doesn't match the book

I just finished a book where I had the audible version and the ebook. I was reading and listening at the same time which is something I like to do occasionally.

I was surprised to find there were quite a few differences between the text and the audio. At first I put it down to the narrator being a bit lax. The first one I noticed was the narrator substituting (as I thought) a stronger swear word for one that was in the text. Then I noticed he skipped phrases or sentences changed.

I think what must've happened is that in order to release the book and the audiobook at the same time, they give the final draft to the audiobook producers, only for the author/publisher to squeeze in some final edits to the text.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is it common? Are there are egregious examples you have come across?

The book was Broken Homes by Ben Aaronovitch (book 4 in the Peter Grant/Rivers of London series).
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:49 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
It's been known to happen. I know there is a Lisa Kleypas Historical Romance where entire passages are different leaving out parts of the story. She had a very basic explanation posted on her old website as part of an FAQ...
Quote:
Why are some "unabridged" audio versions different from the print version?
On a few occasions, the audio company has had to record a book before the manuscript before the final revisions are made by my editor. It's frustrating, I know.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 02:06 AM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Why are some "unabridged" audio versions different from the print version?
On a few occasions, the audio company has had to record a book before the manuscript before the final revisions are made by my editor. It's frustrating, I know.
That's kinda dumb. What law says the print and audio have to be released together?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 02:57 AM   #4
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
1 of my Jean Auel books & audible Don't sync! the Audible starts with the acknowledgment in the beginning while the Book it at the End! I been after Audible to Fix it for Years! All they have to so is Delete the acknowledgment & just start with Chapter 1.... ):

I was surprised to find there were quite a few differences between the text and the audio. At first I put it down to the narrator being a bit lax. The first one I noticed was the narrator substituting (as I thought) a stronger swear word for one that was in the text. Then I noticed he skipped phrases or sentences changed.

I noticed over the years Abridged Audio books do this.... why I buy Only UNabridged

Last edited by Barbara1955; 02-20-2018 at 03:00 AM.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote