Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 11-21-2013, 02:19 PM   #106
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Liking the new bookshelf in today's update. Thanks for letting us use our SD card now too!
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:07 PM   #107
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
I'm seeing an issue in the new WP8 version where the "remove blank lines" setting doesn't seem to work when it's set to "no". Specifically, I have a book where the code looks like this (suboptimal, probably slightly incorrect, but it is what it is):

Code:
      <p class="para">It was time to fight.</p>

<p class="spaceBreak">&nbsp;</p>

<p class="paraNoIndent">Barriga stumbled as he crawled past the stump of a fallen tree. Blood from his brow dripped onto the ground, and the dark-speckled nettles seemed to soak it in, feeding upon his life. He raised a trembling hand to his brow. The bandage was soaked through.</p>
That "spaceBreak" paragraph is intended to create a space between the two paragraphs, and I would expect with "remove blank lines" set to "no" Freda should do the right thing. Instead, Freda is actually removing that blank line. See the attached picture, for example.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bad paragraph spacing.png
Views:	794
Size:	260.9 KB
ID:	117457  
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:24 AM   #108
Jim Chapman
Addict
Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lumia 950 Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddos View Post
I'm seeing an issue in the new WP8 version where the "remove blank lines" setting doesn't seem to work when it's set to "no". .
I will take a look at it - it does, as you say, look like wrong behaviour.
Jim Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:30 AM   #109
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Chapman View Post
I will take a look at it - it does, as you say, look like wrong behaviour.
Turns out it was my bad. I had my max margin setting ridiculously low at 5 (though that's where I've had it for a while, and it used to be fine -- must be another change to rendering from WP7 to WP8). When I changed that up to 20, the spacing came back.

I have, however, had an issue with Calibre's "polish ebook" functionality to update covers in books. Specifically, if a book's content.opf file is in a subdirectory (OEBPS\content.opf) but references files from the directory above it (../titlepage.xhtml, ../cover.jpg, which is where calibre puts covers when polishing), Freda fails to load the book. It seems like Freda's unpacking the epub at the content.opf level and deeper rather than unpacking everything and using the well-known META-INF/container.xml tell it where to find stuff?

I'll see if I can get a repro to send a debug log, as I already manually fixed the book I was interested in reading.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 08:24 AM   #110
Jim Chapman
Addict
Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Freda Ebook Reader now available on Android

Freda has been updated on the Microsoft Store – and in addition, is now also available for Android. That means that you can enjoy the same reading experience across your Windows and Android devices, using the app’s features to sync between the two platforms. You can get the latest version of the app from the Microsoft Store – and the Android version, is on Google Play (still in beta-testing right now, so please feel free to offer feedback).

Freda is a free (advertising supported) app which gives you easy access to over 50,000 public domain classic books, free of charge, from Feedbooks, Gutenberg and other on-line catalogs. Or read your own (DRM-free) books in the supported formats: EPUB, FB2, HTML and TXT. App features include:
  • Customisable controls, fonts and colours
  • Highlighting and bookmarks/annotations
  • Integration with on-line catalogs – Feedbooks, Smashwords, Gutenberg …
  • Connection to your OneDrive and DropBox accounts for downloading book files
  • Linkage to your Calibre book library
  • Opening books from websites and email attachments, and from files anywhere on your device
  • Ability to tag books by subject, and sort/filter your bookshelf by tag, author, title, and series
  • Text-to-speech, speedread and auto-scroll
  • Automatic synchronisation of your reading position across all the devices you are using
  • A save/restore feature that allows you to copy all books and settings from one device to another
  • The OpenDyslexic font and a range of dyslexic-friendly settings, for use by readers who are affected by dyslexia

For further details, take a look at the intro video, the manual, or the support forums, and if you have any questions or ideas about the app, I would be glad to hear from you, on this thread, by PM, or by email (jim@turnipsoft.co.uk).
Old 12-31-2017, 01:36 PM   #111
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
My Win10 installation just updated the other day. It mentioned a fix/improvement to the text selection. So far, I've found selection very much improved on my touch-only 8" Win10 tablet. Thanks.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 06:05 AM   #112
Jim Chapman
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
My Win10 installation just updated the other day. It mentioned a fix/improvement to the text selection. So far, I've found selection very much improved on my touch-only 8" Win10 tablet. Thanks.
Thanks for that.

The other newly introduced feature that I'd be interested to have feedback on is the reading of MOBI/AZW and PDF books. Freda does now support opening these book types, but:
  • It's quite a lot slower than EPUB and FB2
  • PDF layout is quite bad (it should work OK for books consisting mainly of a sequnce of paragraphs, but images will end up out of place)
Feedback welcome.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:26 PM   #113
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The other newly introduced feature that I'd be interested to have feedback on is the reading of MOBI/AZW and PDF books. Freda does now support opening these book types, but:
  • It's quite a lot slower than EPUB and FB2
  • PDF layout is quite bad (it should work OK for books consisting mainly of a sequnce of paragraphs, but images will end up out of place)
Feedback welcome.
I've begun to experiment with using Freda to read MOBI, AZW3, & PDF, though as yet I can't provide much feedback. I have found that the MOBI files I've tried all looked good and were quite readable.

I have found an issue. It seems that the app, or perhaps the update process, has failed to "publish" the fact that it supports .mobi, .azw, .azw3, and .pdf, at least on my installation which was somewhat old and has been updated. As a result, it can't be set as the default reader for those formats. With "desktop" applications, like calibre, you get the option to manually navigate to an installed app in such situations, but with the "modern" apps you don't have that option. Even using the "find app on Store" option fails to list Freda as an app for .mobi (I haven't tried to other formats.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:56 AM   #114
Jim Chapman
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
I have found an issue. It seems that the app, or perhaps the update process, has failed to "publish" the fact that it supports .mobi, .azw, .azw3, and .pdf, at least on my installation which was somewhat old and has been updated. As a result, it can't be set as the default reader for those formats. With "desktop" applications, like calibre, you get the option to manually navigate to an installed app in such situations, but with the "modern" apps you don't have that option. Even using the "find app on Store" option fails to list Freda as an app for .mobi (I haven't tried to other formats.
Thank you for checking this out, and reporting the issue.

Right now, I am a bit conflicted about this. If I strongly claim that Freda is able to read PDF and MOBI (e.g. by making a file-type association) then I'm going to cause irritation to people who try to use it for those book types, and find it does not work for them. But if I don't do it, then the app is somewhat less useful.

I've already picked up some bad reviews in the Store from people who don't like Freda's rendering of PDF. Which is fair enough, because it is not very good (on the other hand, it is hard to do much better, because PDF really does not expect to be reflowed to fit a small screen, so any rendering solution based on reflow is going to be a mess).

Right now, my inclination is to associate Freda with .MOBI/.AZW format, and publish that association, because I think MOBI rendering does basically work (excepting that it is slow, and right now the table of contents is broken, for some reason that I've not yet got to the bottom of). But I am minded not to associate Freda with PDF files, or make any great song and dance about the fact that Freda has some capability to show the content of PDF files. Most people who want to read a PDF document will be wanting to see content in the original layout (i.e. no reflowing) and for them, Adobe Reader or their web-browser plugin will be a better reading system.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:29 PM   #115
dwig
Wizard

Quote:
Right now, I am a bit conflicted about this. ...
I agree that not listing PDF as being supported is the right idea. The PDFs i've tried were somewhat difficult to read as the reflowed text included header and foot info and frequently "absorbed" spacing that was needed to understand where one segment of text ended and another began, sort of a paragraph analogy to a run-on sentence.

I do think that when you're ready (or perhaps now) that MOBI should be associated. I've had some AZW3 files (DRM removed and convertible in calibre) fail to open, but I haven't researched the issue to see what is the cause.
Old 11-25-2019, 04:37 AM   #116
Jim Chapman
Addict

A major update to Freda is on the way, adding:
  • A new more sophisticated EPUB/HTML/CSS parser, which renders page layouts (including tables) more faithfully, and uses the font sizes and faces (including embedded fonts) as specified by the EPUB file.
    • Because it's experimental at this stage, this needs to be switched on in the settings screen ('use advanced rendering'='yes')
    • You can also choose whether Freda does or does not follow the EPUB/CSS fonts, margins and colours.
  • (For the Windows version) Keyboard controls and shortcuts (which can be customised), which allow keyboard-only operation of the app. I'm hoping this will improve the app's accessibility. In that vein, I also added a setting that can make Freda automatically read aloud the selected text, whenever the selection is changed.
  • Many small fixes, including an update to the 'dictionary lookup' feature, because of the discontinuation of the on-line dictionary service that I had been using.
Because this is a rather major update, I would like to beta-test it if possible. And I was hoping I might find some volunteers to help out here. If you would like to help beta-test these changes, please contact me (email to jim@turnipsoft.co.uk would be best, but replies to this post, or PMs in-forum will also work). For Windows beta-testers, I would need you to tell me the email address that you used for your Windows sign-up; for Android users, I will probably just email out an APK file, unless that turns out to be a really unpopular option.
Thanks all!
Old 06-19-2020, 07:54 AM   #117
Jim Chapman
Addict

Freda update 4.34, 19th June 2020: Change Log

• When an SVG element specifies width and height in %, and it has a viewBox, then interpret the % values relative to the width and height of the viewBox.
  • Make table rendering more robust – don’t barf if some rows are shorter than others; retry layout in simpler ways if it fails first time.
  • The settings popup for font should, if ‘advanced rendering’ and ‘book style overrides Freda font selection’ are both set, include a message noting that this font will be overridden by the book’s font (and mentioning the possibility of adjusting ‘book style overrides Freda font selection’).
  • Fix lookup in the lexico dictionary, following the changes to their website.
  • (Android) When a glyph is missing from a font, use Noto Sans instead, or get the system to find us a font.
  • Make my background threads ‘long-running’.
  • (Android) change the behaviour of the settings screen so that it only applies the settings and repaginates the book when you tap ‘ok’ on the settings flyout. [because otherwise it’s very laggy when you start adjusting settings]
  • When reading aloud, include emphasis (note: the Android TTS engine appears to ignore emphasis anyway)
  • (Windows) – Implement a UI behaviour so that mouse-drag and finger-swipe are treated differently – i.e. mouse-drag always does select text, whereas finger-swipe may change pages, or select text, or be ignored. This does seem like the sort of thing a user would expect.
  • Implement EPUB 3 CFIs for bookmark/location mark logic, and use it to define my bookmark & highlight locations in a portable way.
  • When a block element has a width property assigned to give it a narrower width than its parent, and has textAlign “right” or “center”, then move the block over so that it is aligned correctly.
  • (Android) BUG FIX: fix coding issue with deobfuscating embedded font files.
  • When a CSS @font-face declaration uses a number to specify a font-weight, interpret 500 and under as ‘normal’ and 600+ as ‘bold’.
  • Integrate Vungle advertising API and only fall back to AdsJumbo if Vungle has no ads for us. (To think about later: Pubfinity, IronSource).
  • Improve handling of ‘v’ elements in FB2 books.
  • BUG FIX: ‘ERROR: MainViewModel.LibraryBookIdForURI - exception: System.InvalidOperationException: Collection was modified; enumeration operation may not execute.’ – which happens particularly when you download multiple books in one go.
  • (Windows) Revert to using the WebView-based code for SVG image rendering (the wieslawstoltes Svg.Skia library is not stable in production)
  • (Windows) Accessibility: implement an option to use a ‘keyboard accessible UI’ on the reader screen, using cascading flyout menus.
  • (Android) Use HarfBuzz shaper when rendering Devanagari text. (hopefully meaning we get ligatures right)
Old 06-19-2020, 09:03 AM   #118
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Any chance there could be an iOS version?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 10:47 AM   #119
Jim Chapman
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Any chance there could be an iOS version?
An iOS version of Freda isn't on the cards in the near future, for a few reasons (as discussed in some other threads) - in short, because I'm not persuaded that there is big market for it, and because it would be a significant piece of work (a few months).

I will be re-evaluating the position in late 2020 / early 2021 as the features of the new Microsoft MAUI platform become clear - this is the new platform for cross-platform development in .Net (replacing Xamarin) and it might offer a cheap, quick way to bring Freda to iOS. Or it might not. Time will tell.
Old 06-19-2020, 11:06 AM   #120
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Hi Jim, re: Freda update 4.34, 19th June 2020

I installed both the Windows and Android apps last week. Google Play offered me the update to 4.34 today but how do I get the Windows app to update?

Sorry if this is a dumb question but Freda is the only MS appstore app I've ever installed so I'm not too clear on standard procedures.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote