Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-08-2020, 04:00 AM   #1
4Arch
4Arch began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Calibre Update on Manjaro

Hi guys,

I notice the Calibre is not automatically updated so fast as I suppose to be in my Manjaro system despite the great work made by Eli Schuartz (schuartz@archlinux.org)

I see the Calibre has some support to Ubuntu system.

My question is:

Will Calibre support other Linux system like Arch/Manjaro?

Best regards,
4Arch
4Arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 12:16 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
calibre does not officially support Ubuntu either. If you use the installation method from https://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux you will have the latest version, not installed via pacman. This is the only method Kovid supports.

Distros support calibre directly, but at their own pace. I'm generally quite fast at releasing updates. However, Manjaro is based on Arch, but is not Arch, and mainly what they do is delay the speed of updates under the rationale that "if there are problems, someone else will notice them first".

I don't acknowledge this as true, and would recommend instead using Arch, keeping an eye on the news / mailing list / forums if you wish.

If you *want* slower updates, I guess you could use https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Linux_Archive to pin your system to the monthly snapshots.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote