Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-02-2010, 06:13 PM   #1
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Something Weird Going on in 0.7.6

I noticed the other day since upgrading to 0.7.6 (it might have happend before then but I recently caught it) when I did an author sort, about 8 of the books had the author first and last name reversed from what I had originally set it at (last name first). I had to go back in and correct those entries. The only common denominator was all the changed books had multiple authors. Has anyone else run into this? Any guesses what caused it?

Also, sorts are taking much longer than they used to. Even though I have only 151 books in calibre, sorts are taking 10 seconds. They used to take on a couple of seconds. I shudder to think what it will be like when I get over a thousand books in there.

Post edit: The Author sort in the left hand panel is jacked up. In past versions, I had to make both of the author fields show last name first so the left panel would sort the authors by last name in the left panel. Now it sorts by first name or middle initial. When the heck did that change?

Post post edit: After some further digging, I've found someone fixed the left panel author sort so now I have to go through and unfix my fix (last name first in both author fields) on every damned book I have in Calibre. It's nice the author sort got fixed but I preferred having the last name first on screen. And I'm not happy about having to redo all my books! Thank God it happened before I put more than 151 books in!

Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald; 07-02-2010 at 08:37 PM.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:26 PM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
It happened in 7.4
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2010, 09:52 PM   #3
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I can live with the authors being listed first name first (it will actually save me a tiny bit of time). Unfixing my metadata took less time than I expected. I'm still wondering why some of the entries changed without my intervention and I hope it never happens again.

Btw, please forgive my venting; I was going nutz trying to figure out what was going on.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:36 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Sorting 500 books takes less than a second for me.

As for the authors, it was a one time change to allow users to set the author sort for individual authors, not just books (you can do this by right clicking on any author in the tag browser).

This way the Tag Browser will be sorted by those author sort values.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:58 PM   #5
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Thanks, Kovid.

Like I said, I've "unfixed" my metadata so my authors now display and sort correctly (and I'm glad to hear it was one time). Sorts are now running around seven seconds for only 151 books; it used to be roughly twice as fast.

I'm still curious why the author metadata changed, apparently spontaneously. Hopefully, it was a fluke.
Advert
Old 07-03-2010, 02:03 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Thanks, Kovid.

Like I said, I've "unfixed" my metadata so my authors now display and sort correctly (and I'm glad to hear it was one time). Sorts are now running around seven seconds for only 151 books; it used to be roughly twice as fast.
I have 1700 books and it takes less then 2 seconds to sort any column.

Quote:
I'm still curious why the author metadata changed, apparently spontaneously. Hopefully, it was a fluke.
You can be assured that it wasn't a fluke. More likely it was a feature.

The common reason this happens is when downloading metadata the downloaded Title and Author will overwrite what is there by default. Go to Preferences - General and uncheck the option to Overwrite author and title by default when fetching metadata. Unchecking this will ensure your author or title field will not be changed when fetching comments, tags, or ratings.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 05:37 AM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Post post edit: After some further digging, I've found someone fixed the left panel author sort so now I have to go through and unfix my fix (last name first in both author fields) on every damned book I have in Calibre. It's nice the author sort got fixed but I preferred having the last name first on screen. And I'm not happy about having to redo all my books! Thank God it happened before I put more than 151 books in!
Uhhh... that someone was me. The change was made in 0.7.3. For the rationale, please see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86800, and in particular post 23.

Depending on how you want to maintain authors (fn ln or ln, fn), you might want to look at the author_sort 'tweak' that has been around for quite some time. The tweak tells calibre how to compute author_sort from author. See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...30&postcount=8 and the file tweaks.py in your configuration folder.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:21 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@LF: Can you start calibre as

calibre-debug -g

from a command prompt and see if any messages are printed out at the prompt, they may give us a clue as to why sorting is slow for you
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:52 AM   #9
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Chaly, I'm not concerned about the change in the author sort now that I know what was going on; it fixed what I considered to be a long standing bug. Thank you for that. It just caught me with my cyber pants down.

Walt, if the spontaneous change was a "feature," then I am concerned because when it occurred, I had made no changes to the metadata. The affected books were already in Calibre and, short of possibly viewing the entries (but not from the edit screen), I had made no changes.

I put feature in quotes because of a running joke we used to have on a forum for my music notation program. Some of the fan boys would try to dismiss a bug as being a design feature. In some cases, it was true that an alleged bug was a poorly designed feature that wrecked a function everyone had been happy with up to the time of the change but too often, the so called design feature was actually caused by an oversight by the programmers that was not caught due to poor beta testing (that line of notation programs is notorious for the number of bugs and "design features" that slip through; to be fair, I must point out that they are very complex programs that one could say suffer from feature bloat except all the features are there because there are people who use them). Many of of us, to avoid argument (and because we were sagacious donkeys), started using "design feature" (in quotes) to refer to bugs.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:53 AM   #10
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@LF: Can you start calibre as

calibre-debug -g

from a command prompt and see if any messages are printed out at the prompt, they may give us a clue as to why sorting is slow for you
How do I do that?
Old 07-03-2010, 10:07 AM   #11
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Never mind; I missed rthe part about "command prompt." I tried it and the only error messages were several dozen about pixels being out of range when calibre was booting up. Nothing new showed up when I did a few sorts.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:23 AM   #12
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

On a whim, I downloaded and installed 0.7.7 and now my sorts are happening almost instantaneously (a hair less than a second). It also takes less time to open and the lag that had been occurring after keypresses is gone. Cool! Thanks for your patience.