Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-09-2024, 08:49 AM   #31
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Again, my guess is that your Windows box has a third party file previewer installed as a system extension that is causing the issue. Try rebooting into safe mode and loading the test epub with woff fonts into Sigil. If that works, the issue is a problematic extension.

Finding that extension can be hard. BetterRed uses a tool that helps narrow down the issue much easier.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 10:25 AM   #32
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
ShellExView from Nirsoft was always pretty solid for individually enabling/disabling shell extensions. No idea if it's still maintained or not.

I agree this is the most likely case here.

That, or one of a thousand "Preview File Types as Text" registry hacks gone wrong.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-09-2024 at 10:31 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2024, 12:29 PM   #33
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
One suggestion is to copy your Sigil configuration to another location, uninstall Sigil, delete the Sigil program and configuration directories and then re-install Sigil. See if you can then open my test epub. If so, copy back your old configuration directory and see if you can still open the epub.

I ran into an issue years back where McAfee (the AV program I was using) did an automatic update and promptly trashed quite a few configuration files when I attempted to open the programs. After that bit of fun, I removed McAfee from my computer.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 07:13 PM   #34
vanessamartins00
vanessamartins00 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Exclamation I have the same problem!!!!

I have the same problem on my computer. When I try to open an epub that has woff fonts, it closes. Furthermore, when I try to add woff fonts to the epub the same thing happens. According to the crash log, the error occurs in the Qt6Gui.dll file. I've already tried using Windows Safe Mode, and the same thing happens.
All other computers open the epub files that have the woff fonts without any problems, it's just this new one that doesn't open. I put several Windows to test (10, 11 home, 11 pro) and none of them worked, so I believe the problem is not in Windows
vanessamartins00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 07:46 PM   #35
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You didn't mention the embedded woff font connection in your github issue.
Advert
Old 03-15-2024, 07:48 PM   #36
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is that computer using the latest update to the video drivers? Which video hardware and driver version would be helpful.

As an experiment, you might also want to try setting the display scaling to 100%. A while back I had an issue with an app using Qt6 that was not happy with some fonts that QT6 interpreted as passing invalid data when the display scaling was not 100%.
Old 03-15-2024, 10:10 PM   #37
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

See this link:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/tr...ntrusted-fonts

Make sure your Windows is not blocking woff fonts as untrusted.
Old 03-15-2024, 11:00 PM   #38
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
See this link:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/tr...ntrusted-fonts

Make sure your Windows is not blocking woff fonts as untrusted.
That article has some issues. If you use Group Policy editor in a Pro or higher version of Windows 10/11, it has a MitigationOptions item under Computer Configuration => Administrative Templates => System => Mitigation Options. In that section, there is a Untrusted Font Blocking item. Enabling it and setting it to Do Not Block Untrusted Fonts creates an item in the same place as the Microsoft article above but it is a REG_BINARY instead of a REG_QWORD value.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	group_policy_font_blocking.png
Views:	40
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	206922   Click image for larger version

Name:	regedit_mitigation_options.png
Views:	33
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	206923  
Old 03-16-2024, 09:19 AM   #39
KevinH
Sigil Developer

If anyone knows of a better link on how to check if this a Windows 10 or 11 box is blocking untrusted fonts or not please post a link to it.

As I am not a Windows user at all and only found this in passing. It sounded like a setting not many Window's users were aware of, but sure sounded like it could be an issue to me since epub fonts (including woff fonts) are typically not found in normal font locations.
Old 03-16-2024, 09:55 AM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have Windows 11 Home. Using Sigil 2.0.2, I was able to load the attached sample ePub without an issue.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 09:57 AM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanessamartins00 View Post
I have the same problem on my computer. When I try to open an epub that has woff fonts, it closes. Furthermore, when I try to add woff fonts to the epub the same thing happens. According to the crash log, the error occurs in the Qt6Gui.dll file. I've already tried using Windows Safe Mode, and the same thing happens.
All other computers open the epub files that have the woff fonts without any problems, it's just this new one that doesn't open. I put several Windows to test (10, 11 home, 11 pro) and none of them worked, so I believe the problem is not in Windows
I have an suggestion. Use calibre with the ScrambleEbook plugin to scramble one of the ePub you cannot open. Then try to open it again. If it does not open, attach the scrambled ePub so someone can take a look at it in case it's something to do with the ePub.
Old 03-16-2024, 09:58 AM   #42
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

OK. I'm able to reproduce the crash on a Windows 10 laptop with @DNSB's test epub on the first page of this thread. It just happened, so I don't have any details, but hopefully my testing will turn something up soon. This laptop has never exhibited any problems running Sigil, nor with epubs that have embedded fonts. It always has the latest video drivers and the most recent Windows 10 updates that Microsoft provides for it. Stay tuned.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-16-2024 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-16-2024, 10:01 AM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
OK. I'm able to reproduce the crash on a Windows 10 laptop with @DNSB's test epub on the first page of this thread. It just happened, so I don't have any details, but hopefully my testing will turn something up soon. This laptop has never exhibited any problems running Sigil, nor with epubs that have embedded fonts. Stay tuned.
Does the laptop have Edge installed?
Old 03-16-2024, 10:18 AM   #44
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

In no world, do I need your help in debugging this, Jon
Old 03-16-2024, 11:46 AM   #45
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I don't believe it's related to the Windows font-blocking policies. I've tried all of the various registry setting to no effect (I've even tried other key data types as per DNSB's post about REG_BINARY).

The crash dump is not very helpful, as neither Sigil nor Qt are debug builds (which is not very feasible on Windows in the first place). Just your bog-standard access violation.

I'll keep digging.