Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 04-02-2010, 11:32 PM   #1
bobbi c
Edge User

Unhappy e-book store

Before purchasing, I browsed the store, created a wishlist. Got my eDGe, went to e-store, wishlist is empty and available books seem to have shrunk exponentially...or am I missing something??

Old 04-03-2010, 02:09 AM   #2
Snow
Edge User

we have had to disable some books recently due to uncontrollable actions. your books may have been disabled recently. we apologize for any inconvenience.

Advert
Old 04-03-2010, 07:53 AM   #3
brauckmiller
Edge User

Uh..that's not good. One of my books has been stuck in "Processing" since Thursday night.

What do you mean by "uncontrollable actions"?

Old 04-03-2010, 09:08 AM   #4
Snow
Edge User

if you have received an invoice for that book then you should be able to download it regardless of what the order status says.

"uncontrollable actions" - things not within Entourage Systems control

Old 04-03-2010, 04:16 PM   #5
eberhardt333
Edge User

Yeah the bookstore is dwindling. All the books I wanted are gone.

Advert
Old 04-04-2010, 11:19 PM   #6
Steed
Edge User

So what is being done to rectify this inconvenience of the books being disabled?

Old 04-04-2010, 11:40 PM   #7
mgm1979
Edge User

Jump on MobileRead Forums for more info - tons of threads and discussions going on there...it all has to do with the new Agency pricing model that went into effect on 4/1 (no April Fool's joke - the PUBLISHERS are setting prices now)...it stupid, but ALL e-Tailers are affected by it. You can thank Steve Jobs and Crapple...just one more reason I'll FOREVER be a PC guy.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:54 PM   #8
hmhoshino
Edge User

I to had a problem retrieving the ebook I had purchased prior to getting my edge. Like you, nothing existed in my Library. If I remember right, you have to view it in your prior purchases and then view and download it to the Edge. Once you can view the ebooks just follow the steps to download it. I apologize for not explaining to well but that is how I was able to get it to work.

Henry

Old 04-19-2010, 11:25 PM   #9
StevenP
Edge User

I noticed the shrinking selection as well. There's practially nothing worth buying in the store. I don't care about NY Times best sellers so that pretty much leaves the store useless. I know this is Apple's fault but it is a serious issue it's left for Entourage.

Is there hope of this getting rectified?

Old 04-20-2010, 12:50 AM   #10
StevenP
Edge User

I found a site that still stocks most of the books I was wanting but most others have suffered the same fate as Entourage. I can't help but be angry with Apple over this. I know it's not Entourages fault.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:21 AM   #11
VenturingSoul
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenP View Post
I found a site that still stocks most of the books I was wanting but most others have suffered the same fate as Entourage. I can't help but be angry with Apple over this. I know it's not Entourages fault.
Are you willing to share that site with us?

Old 04-20-2010, 09:46 AM   #12
StevenP
Edge User

Boris, thanks for that bit of news. Based on that news I'll wait on my purchases for the other books. I would rather support Entourage. I did find a few books I wanted that are still in their selection so I'll be getting one of those this week.

One thing this hasn't affected (fortunately) is the purchase of techinical books. Being a developer I can get my books from muiltiple places.

Last edited by StevenP; 04-20-2010 at 09:54 AM.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:31 AM   #13
Dellaster
Edge User

Two sites that are especially useful during this current ebook turmoil:

Inkmesh ebook search engine
Very quick search. Cannot limit results to specific formats or stores.
AddALL Ebook price comparison
Slower search but you can specify formats (e.g. ePub, PDF). Can exclude sources (e.g. Barnes & Noble since their ePub DRM won't work on the eDGe). It notes whether or not the offering has DRM.

I tend to use them both in case one comes up with a nice result the other missed.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:02 AM   #14
StevenP
Edge User

Here is a link the web site where I found a lot of the missing books I was interested in (I can't vouch for other people's interests, though): http://www.kobobooks.com/. They support multi-formats. I have not tried them yet (I may with one of their free books to make sure it all works well) but, like I said, I think I will wait for Entourage to get the books back in so I can purchase through them.

Who knows, maybe Kobo Books got their books yanked and got them back or they haven't been yanked yet. Or, maybe they worked out deals right from the start.

Old 04-22-2010, 03:12 PM   #15
techiem2
Edge User

For those interested in freely available books, check out:
Project Gutenberg - A project for digitizing works that are out of copyright in the US. I loaded up my Edge from here right after I got it. The epub quality varies since they are auto-generated, but most I grabbed were fine.
Feedbooks - I poked around a little - it seems to be a mixture of Public Domain works and more recent freely released works.