Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-06-2011, 08:05 AM   #1
everyday_kindle
everyday_kindle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Need help on usbNetwork for K3G

My K3G (3G+wifi, FW 3.1) was jailbroken yesterday. Subsequently I installed the usbnetwork hack. The process went through ok. However, I am not able to ping the kindle.

The PC is running XP. After installing the hack on k3g, I edited the usbnetwork/etc/config, in which kindle_ip=192.168.2.2 and host_ip=192.168.1.18.

My understanding is host_ip refers to the usb interface on the PC side. At the same time my PC is connecting to internet through its ethernet card (192.168.1.14).

The next thing I did was to restart k3g and executing ;debugOn and ~usbNetwork commands before connecting to the PC. Immediately the PC detected the new device and prompted me for RNDIS driver. ok, I directed the search to one I used with android. It picked it up and stated the driver was installed successfully.

At the DOS prompt, I typed "ipconfig". I can see both interfaces (ethernet and usb) while the usb one didn't have an ip address. I unpluged the ethernet cable to make it simple. Next I went into control panel (xp), network connections, assigned the ip address to the usb interface:
ip: 192.168.1.18, netmask: 255.255.255.0, gateway: 192.168.1.1

At the DOS prompt, I can see the IP (of PC). When I ping 192.168.2.2 (k3g), it didn't go through.

What might have gone wrong? Please help!

Last edited by everyday_kindle; 05-06-2011 at 08:08 AM.
everyday_kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:56 AM   #2
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
That wouldn't work since you placed PC and Kindle in different subnets. Note that IP addresses are interface-specific. I.e. you should _not_ set the PC's USB device IP address to the same as it's LAN address.

Just stay with the 192.168.2.1 address (or use something else that does _not_ clash with the LAN), and set it up on the host PC for the USB RNDIS device.

Make sure you can telnet/ssh to your Kindle to verify USB networking is working.

To allow the Kindle access the LAN or Internet via the host PC, make sure to learn about "IP Forwarding" on Windows XP and set it up. As I'm a Linux user I cannot tell a lot about it (but I know it exists, I think it's called "Internet Connection Sharing", at least it was in the Win9X days).

That does not mean, however, that your Kindle will instantly be able to reach the Internet (or LAN) via the USB network connection. You would have to set that up specifically on the Kindle, too. That part is basic Linux networking, i.e. setting up proper network routes and DNS server addresses.

Out of the box, USB networking will just do enough to provide you with a peer-to-peer IP connection.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2011, 09:00 AM   #3
everyday_kindle
everyday_kindle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Thank you! That's exactly what happened. After I changed kindle_ip and host_ip to the same subnet, it is working now.

THanks very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
That wouldn't work since you placed PC and Kindle in different subnets. Note that IP addresses are interface-specific. I.e. you should _not_ set the PC's USB device IP address to the same as it's LAN address.

Just stay with the 192.168.2.1 address (or use something else that does _not_ clash with the LAN), and set it up on the host PC for the USB RNDIS device.

Make sure you can telnet/ssh to your Kindle to verify USB networking is working.

To allow the Kindle access the LAN or Internet via the host PC, make sure to learn about "IP Forwarding" on Windows XP and set it up. As I'm a Linux user I cannot tell a lot about it (but I know it exists, I think it's called "Internet Connection Sharing", at least it was in the Win9X days).

That does not mean, however, that your Kindle will instantly be able to reach the Internet (or LAN) via the USB network connection. You would have to set that up specifically on the Kindle, too. That part is basic Linux networking, i.e. setting up proper network routes and DNS server addresses.

Out of the box, USB networking will just do enough to provide you with a peer-to-peer IP connection.
everyday_kindle is offline   Reply With Quote