Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 04-12-2018, 07:17 AM   #166
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Yes, sharing the pain of a bad book can be a lot of fun.
Hey! It may not be a bad book, just one you wouldn't read when left to your own devices. Let's not assume the worst.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:43 AM   #167
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
That's true, but we had quite a bit of entertainment out of Whose Body? and the really clunky parts of Sylvie and Bruno!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:48 AM   #168
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
That's true, but we had quite a bit of entertainment out of Whose Body? and the really clunky parts of Sylvie and Bruno!
Absolutely! I just don't want people to think they're all duds. Sometimes it can be an objectively (as objective as you can be about something subjective) good book that's not to your taste, but talking about it can make it interesting and worthwhile. Then there's the horizon-expanding aspect as well; even though I'd say we're all pretty comfortable with our own parameters, there's value in a new perspective.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:58 AM   #169
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I was pretty sure of what my reaction was going to be to The Old Man and the Sea, and although it turned out to be better than I thought, the most interesting thing about it for me was to see the diverse array of reactions to it. At the very least it made me stretch myself a little to try and see it as others did (if not entirely successfully ).
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:17 AM   #170
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I got Quarter Share from the Kindle Owners Lending Library today ... and finished it. Excellent book. Thank you for sharing it! I will definitely be continuing.
Oh, good! I'm glad to have helped you discover a new author! That's one of the big pluses of the Club -- the discovery!
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 08:35 AM   #171
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
That's one of the big pluses of the Club -- the discovery!
Indeed! During my bout of insomnia last night, I downloaded the audio of The Prestige, one of the May nominations, and it fits the bill for bedtime listening in being entertaining and easy to follow. That it's read by Simon Vance doesn't hurt, either.
Old 04-13-2018, 06:52 PM   #172
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Indeed! During my bout of insomnia last night, I downloaded the audio of The Prestige, one of the May nominations, and it fits the bill for bedtime listening in being entertaining and easy to follow. That it's read by Simon Vance doesn't hurt, either.
Getting ahead of me with my nomination! I shall have to remedy that and bump it up my list. Sorry about the insomnia though.

I have certainly read a lot of books over the years because of book clubs, which I would never have found on my own.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:01 PM   #173
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
What I found curious about The Prestige was looking at the reviews and seeing that many suggest the movie was better. I've not seen the movie (or read the book, yet).
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 09:09 PM   #174
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
What I found curious about The Prestige was looking at the reviews and seeing that many suggest the movie was better. I've not seen the movie (or read the book, yet).
The movie was great. I didn't know it was based on a book until Bookpossum nominated it. I read a sample of the book and thought it looked like a fun read/listen sometime.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 12:56 AM   #175
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmmm. The Audible version, narrated by Simon Vance, is available free to Prime members (via Audible Channels). Now THAT'S tempting.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:37 AM   #176
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Hmmm. The Audible version, narrated by Simon Vance, is available free to Prime members (via Audible Channels). Now THAT'S tempting.
Doesn't appear to be the case in the UK, unfortunately. I was going to jump on that one.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 09:41 AM   #177
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Yeah, this appears to be a U.S. only thing so far. When I log in to my U.K. account, the channels options disappear. Sorry for getting your hopes up.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:00 AM   #178
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
I'll see your "Hmmm." I don't have Prime myself, but I have on hand a tablet registered to a Prime account. I've never explored the Channels option, but on looking I see a couple of appealing possibilities. I may give The Price of Salt a try as it's on my TBR anyway; my issue is that I don't care for Cassandra Campbell, the narrator.

Thanks for the nudge.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:30 AM   #179
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Yeah, this appears to be a U.S. only thing so far. When I log in to my U.K. account, the channels options disappear. Sorry for getting your hopes up.
Never mind, I managed to get a couple of Audible freebies anyway when I had a look at their site, including Bill Bryson's Appliance of Science series, which has pleased me greatly.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 06:44 PM   #180
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Yes, I noticed that too. Maybe they are fans of Bale and/or Jackman. I tend not to worry about reviews by people I don’t know, and it got a rave review from someone whose reviews I do follow. I have just started it while I wait for the winner to be available in the library, and it’s a promising set-up.