Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 01-15-2016, 10:59 PM   #1
Rewarp
Rewarp began at the beginning.

Device: Zareason Zatab2
Can't get rid of "No space left on device"

I am running into strange issues with the Android 6.0 installation of Calibre Companion.

This time, it is because after multiple reinstallations of CC, now Calibre seems to think that there is not enough space on the device, despite me changing the storage to an external SD card on my nvidia Shield K1 tablet.

Code:
calibre, version 2.49.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>IOError</b>:[Errno 28] No space left on device

calibre 2.49  isfrozen: True is64bit: True
Linux-4.4.0-1-default-x86_64-with-SuSE-20160113-x86_64 Linux ('64bit', 'ELF')
('Linux', '4.4.0-1-default', '#1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Jan 11 14:46:34 UTC 2016 (83948c1)')
Python 2.7.9
Linux: ('openSUSE ', '20160113', 'x86_64')
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 1262, in dispatch_sync_event
  File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 1464, in sync_to_device
  File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/library/models.py", line 613, in get_preferred_formats_from_ids
  File "site-packages/calibre/db/legacy.py", line 343, in copy_format_to
  File "site-packages/calibre/db/cache.py", line 57, in call_func_with_lock
  File "site-packages/calibre/db/cache.py", line 720, in copy_format_to
  File "site-packages/calibre/db/backend.py", line 1411, in copy_format_to
  File "shutil.py", line 52, in copyfileobj
IOError: [Errno 28] No space left on device
A run down of how it got to this point.

I tried to connect to my library via my own personal network, which is not connected to the Internet, resulting in CC throwing an "Unlicensed app" error. Meaning I had to uninstall and reinstall the app. Eventually, I realised I had to start CC while connected to the Internet first, before I could switch over to my own personal network.

Next, I realised belatedly that the Android setting to treat the external SD Card as part of the Internal SD Card was not working as expected, meaning the books were being loaded to the internal sd card. So I reformatted the card, and set CC to explicitly use the external storage.

Now when I connect CC to my library, despite having 0 books on my device, I am given the error stating I don't have any space left on my device.

tl;dr How can I get Calibre to work as if it were looking at a new device?
Rewarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 01:13 AM   #2
Rewarp

I figured it out. For some reason, Calibre had completely filled up my /tmp folder, and it wasn't automatically cleared. This also resolves a weird mystery nearly a year ago when my computer was complaining about the diskspace being full, and I thought it was because of a btrfs issue.
Old 01-16-2016, 01:24 AM   #3
Rewarp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rewarp View Post

I tried to connect to my library via my own personal network, which is not connected to the Internet, resulting in CC throwing an "Unlicensed app" error. Meaning I had to uninstall and reinstall the app. Eventually, I realised I had to start CC while connected to the Internet first, before I could switch over to my own personal network.
I would like to point out that this is a particularly annoying flaw. I am used to switching to my own private network which is not connected to the Internet for moving books between my devices. But why should a product that was clearly authenticated because I installed it directly from the Play Store suddenly lose its authentication when it is used separate from the Internet?
Old 01-16-2016, 01:38 AM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
For CC questions you would be best served by posting in the CC forum here.

The author has recently said he is reconsidering the licensing checks within CC and might be removing them.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 04:10 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rewarp View Post
I would like to point out that this is a particularly annoying flaw. I am used to switching to my own private network which is not connected to the Internet for moving books between my devices. But why should a product that was clearly authenticated because I installed it directly from the Play Store suddenly lose its authentication when it is used separate from the Internet?
It isn't a flaw. CC has no idea and cannot find out how you installed it or where the APK came from, which could be any number of "pseudo app stores." Furthermore, CC doesn't "lose its authentication", instead having never authenticated because it waits for a bit (an hour or so) to be sure that the Google Play servers are updated. Even furthermore, CC authenticates exactly once and never checks again. If that one authentication has taken place then unless you are uninstalling and reinstalling the app, moving to a non-internet-connected network will not require rechecking the license.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
The author has recently said he is reconsidering the licensing checks within CC and might be removing them.
After much discussion amongst us, we have decided that we won't remove the one-time check.

I am still looking for ways to deal with devices that don't/can't have the Google Play services installed, such as a lot of e-ink android devices.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre companion, wireless connection