Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-06-2010, 10:51 PM   #1
arsingh1
Nameless Being

need Buying Help plz

Hi there ,

I want to purchase an ebook reader here in india the only ones which are directly available here are.

Infibeam pi with 1 yr warranty
(plz check the specs at their website)

http://www.infibeam.com/Pi

and sony prs 600 w/o warranty (as an imported device)

Both will cost around $220 here

Pi is an foxit eslick clone

please compare these as these are the only ones available.

I'm a sony fan as their products' build quality is rock solid (my sony handycam fell from my hand and nothing ever happened to it),

but the issue to me is that of glare /reflection in sony prs 600 which i've read in many of the reviews ( Sorry if i'm asking this question again).

Secondly no warranty from sony india on the imported product

On the other Infibeam pi has no touch so will not have any glare problem. (hope so) and it comes with warranty.

but the thing which is tempting me for buying sony prs 600 is the price +the touch feature +added dictionary.

plz help me decide

Thanks in Advance
Old 03-07-2010, 01:28 AM   #2
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
if you are going to read mostly books in one or more of the local languages there than you should buy the Infibeam.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2010, 04:40 AM   #3
arsingh1
Nameless Being

no i don't need local language support . as I read books/ novels, also being an engineer pdf's in English .

plz clear my doubts regarding glare , warranty and pdf reflow capability of sony prs 600

Infibeam has the feature called pdf reflow ,Does Sony prs has this?
Old 03-07-2010, 10:46 AM   #4
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
The glare on the Sony is not as bad as it sounds. It doesn't bother me, but, I've never used another ebook reader nor have I even seen another one in person so maybe that's why I don't know any better.

Personally I don't like reading PDFs on my Reader. PDFs formatted for 8.5x11" paper are too hard to read on the 6" screen and if you resize the text, things get messed up. The best thing I think is to read PDFs in landscape mode. The good part is you can make notes on them or highlight text with the touch screen and stylus. That might be useful for you.

You might be better of getting the Infibeam. In case something happens to it, you'll have the warranty. Maybe you should check out the "see a device near you" thread; there are other members here from India and maybe someone has a PRS-600 you can look at.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:12 AM   #5
arsingh1
Nameless Being

Hi
Thanks for the reply banjobama,
I think you have cleared my doubts regarding glare on prs-600,
Now i think i can take the risk of buying it without warranty,
Considering the fact that its a Sony,
or Are there any means of getting paid repairs done out side india by shipping.
Thanks
Advert
Old 03-08-2010, 09:30 AM   #6
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
I think if you register your Reader with Sony you'll be able to send it to them for repairs. I'm not sure what geographical restrictions there might be for that. You might also want to buy a separate warranty for it from a company called Square Trade. A three-year warranty on a new Sony Reader would be $33. Again, I don't know if there are geographical restrictions.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:07 AM   #7
rsk
rsk began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook Neo/Onyx Boox 60
@arsingh1, the infibeam "pi" is a no strings attached e-book reader. I did check this device. One of the negative is the keyboard, its very very primitive onscreen keyboards which needs navigation.
I have been searching ways to get Onyx Boox 60/BeBook Neo to India. Still no success
Will keep you posted once i find out ways to get these device into India without paying much.

BTW, i am not considering Sony e-reader coz its tied to sony stores for buying books
rsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:42 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsk View Post
BTW, i am not considering Sony e-reader coz its tied to sony stores for buying books
You are mistaken - whatever makes you think that? The Sony supports Adobe ADE DRM, and you can buy books at any bookstore that sells ePub books.

My recommendation would be for the BeBook Neo. A truly excellent device.

Last edited by HarryT; 03-24-2010 at 01:51 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 04:38 AM   #9
rsk

I get your point Harry

I have been trying hard to get BeBook Neo/ Onyx Boox.
The problem is getting the device to India.
Shipping is ruled out as it will cost me a fortune (approx. $380).

Trying to find out what can be done

-rsk
Old 03-26-2010, 12:43 PM   #10
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
Quote:

-rsk
Have you tried ebay. There is one listed right now and they claim to ship worldwide. Only problem is there is no feedback for that seller yet.

Here is the listing.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:19 PM   #11
angelad
Groupie
angelad is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle dx
Are those really the only choices you have?
angelad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:36 AM   #12
arsingh1
Nameless Being

Quote:
I get your point Harry

I have been trying hard to get BeBook Neo/ Onyx Boox.

Trying to find out what can be done

-rsk
Hi,
Thanks rsk for the reply.
Good to see another Indian looking for an e-book reader.
I was also considering 'neo' and sony prs 600 but the only thing was 'shipping + custom duty' , which would cost a fortune to people living in india like us.
Another issue is of warranty , even if we somehow get the device imported we won't get the warranty here in India .

That shifts the focus to infibeam pi,Its positives are the price(220usd) and 1 yr warranty, but it is the most basic reader like e-slick or astak,I like Sony primarily because of the touch screen + the added dictionary , just double tap any word and the meaning is there.
Please keep me updated if you find any info on sony prs 600 or bebook neo in india.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:19 AM   #13
rsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsingh1 View Post
Hi,
Good to see another Indian looking for an e-book reader.
voila, same here

Quote:
Another issue is of warranty , even if we somehow get the device imported we won't get the warranty here in India .
never thought about it till now

Quote:
I like Sony primarily because of the touch screen + the added dictionary , just double tap any word and the meaning is there.
I checked the Neo forums. It does support Dictionary functionality.

Quote:
Please keep me updated if you find any info on sony prs 600 or bebook neo in india.
sure, I will keep you posted