Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-24-2009, 03:32 PM   #31
jesse
Connoisseur
jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle 2
I've poked around inside today's updateIt looks like today's firmware update locks down your device such that it will only take signed firmware updates. I'm sure some enterprising haxx0r will homebrew up an alternate version of the updater that doesn't screw you over. But you might want to leave your wireless turned off if the latest update hasn't already been pushed on you.
jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:38 PM   #32
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Actually I just tried a search of the word "battery" in the PDF of my Asus manual and it is searching though and highlighting the word as it find it, so searching does work.
Wow! Thanks. This is a bit of god news. Have you tried a footnote or a hyperlink yet?
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2009, 03:46 PM   #33
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
Wow! Thanks. This is a bit of god news. Have you tried a footnote or a hyperlink yet?
I don't have anything with footnotes. So far I don't see that any hyperlinks are working.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:19 PM   #34
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Neither the font or screensaver hacks will work with the new update so my wireless is staying OFF. And as I used Calibre to convert PDF to .mobi on my PC then transfer to the kindle, then I have no need of this update. I wouldnt mind rotating the screen but then I dont like 'short' pages.

I guess even if I put wireless on but don't update the software I still wont be forced to update?
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:25 PM   #35
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post

I guess even if I put wireless on but don't update the software I still wont be forced to update?
If it gets downloaded to your Kindle, it will try to update. I don't think it will work with your hacks installed, so you may be safe.

I have faith that someone will find a way to re-hack the screensavers, so I can wait.
Advert
Old 11-24-2009, 04:37 PM   #36
paulhand
paulhand began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
This thread may be of interest to those who want to avoid the update but want to keep wireless on:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51371
paulhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 05:27 PM   #37
zzw007008
zzw007008 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2 International
haha,just update my kindle2 international and loaded several pdfs, it works nicely!
zzw007008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 05:48 PM   #38
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Ralph Ellison has been added to the screensavers. Nice to see that Amazon took to heart the criticism of the screensavers being a European only club.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 05:49 PM   #39
glitch44
glitch44 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: no reader yet
daffy4u, I was wondering if you could please try out a scanned PDF for me? Unseen, I would guess I shouldn't try to read scanned screenplay PDFs on the smaller Kindle 2, but the size is very close to the smaller script sides they print for reading on a set so it might work.

Here's a scanned version of the pilot to 24 (1.1 MB) if you have the time to try it.

Last edited by glitch44; 11-24-2009 at 06:21 PM.
glitch44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 05:50 PM   #40
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
I was glad to see Ralph added also
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:01 PM   #41
Adamastorx
Connoisseur
Adamastorx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 International
I haven't received the update by whispernet, so I decided to go for the manual download. Will the 4th edition manual be available on archived items as Amazon says on the update notes?
Anyway, update installed. I like the pdf support. I can search the text and the dictionary without exiting the book. No quick lookup tough. But mostly I think it works well with text only pdfs. I have lots of public domain books on pdf and the conversions I had made were not that great...
Adamastorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:05 PM   #42
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitch44 View Post
daffy4u, I was wondering if you could please try out a scanned PDF for me? Unseen, I would guess I shouldn't try to read scanned screenplay PDFs on the smaller Kindle 2, but the size is very close to the smaller script sides they print for reading on a set so it might work.

Here's a scanned version of the pilot to 24 (4.4 MB) if you have the time to try it.
Here ya go (the link gave me "The Big Lebowski" but I think you get the idea). BTW, I'm a Script Supervisor. I think this is great for reading scripts (a DP asked me about this just a couple of days ago), but is still too small for my eyes to read for long periods. Landscape is better.

Edit: I tried it again and got "24". I don't know what happened.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bl1 (1).gif
Views:	437
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	40036   Click image for larger version

Name:	bl1 (2).gif
Views:	574
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	40037   Click image for larger version

Name:	bl1 (3).gif
Views:	502
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	40038   Click image for larger version

Name:	bl1 (5).gif
Views:	400
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	40039   Click image for larger version

Name:	24 (1).gif
Views:	395
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	40040   Click image for larger version

Name:	24 (2).gif
Views:	379
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	40041   Click image for larger version

Name:	24 (3).gif
Views:	373
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	40042  

Last edited by daffy4u; 11-24-2009 at 06:16 PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:25 PM   #43
glitch44
glitch44 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: no reader yet
Sorry, I posted Big Lebowski at first and then changed it to the pilot for 24 because it's 3 MB smaller and I thought I'd save you download time/ kindle space.

Thanks so much for posting the screenshots! Greatly appreciated.

Last edited by glitch44; 11-24-2009 at 06:27 PM.
glitch44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:30 PM   #44
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Excellent, yup just in time for the xmas reading binge.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:32 PM   #45
jyavenard
Zealot
jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilady1 View Post
If you put this new firmware onto your K2, the running commentary right now seems to be that the font and screen saver hack cannot be placed back onto the K2.
It's likely it's using the same structure as the Kindle Dx or the Kindle 2 International ; so it won't be difficult to get the screen saver hack on Kindle 2 2.3.
jyavenard is offline   Reply With Quote