Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-31-2009, 09:07 AM   #1
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
I moved my library and calibre now can't display the content

I moved my library database - changed the path in the settings and calibre moved the files. The files are in the new folder, but when I start up calibre, it doesn't display the books. I tried the 'check db integrity' - no change.

I moved the library to my Dropbox folder (online file repository) in order to share the library database with my netbook, where I've also installed calibre. On my netbook, I can likewise not get a list of the books in the library...

....except a book I added after moving the library. That works fine and can be accessed from calibre on both computers. It's the "old" books that doesn't display. Anything I can do except adding them again?

I tried adding a book I added yesterday. It simply just shows up as an extra copy. Both in the same 'author' folder, but two 'book' folders - one for today and one for yesterday.

My desktop computer runs OSX 10.6 (Snow Leopard) and my netbook Win 7
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 10:28 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you have a backup of your old folder move the file metadata.db from the old folder to the new one.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2009, 11:18 AM   #3
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Android & FBReader
I moved my library around a few times as I was experimenting with Calibre and suffered the same problem.

Using Windows Explorer I moved all my ebooks to another folder leaving the original folder in place with only the metadata.db alone in it. If any remnants of books are still in the library remove them. Now ADD all the books back into the library and Calibre will recopy the books back to the correct folder and add them back into the library.

Unfortunately if you have multiple formats or separate cover images they will have to be added back manually by editing each books metadata.

Worked for me!

Last edited by Rootman; 10-31-2009 at 11:20 AM.
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:53 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
It is much easier to copy everything over (including the metadata.db file) and then simply tell Calibre to use the new location for the library.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 12:18 PM   #5
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
The metadata file Thanks, Kovid!

Of course I didn't make a backup and there weren't any files left in the old directory. But in the new one, I found two metadata files; a new small one, and a large one saved yesterday, due to some conflict (probably bec. I had calibre open on my desktop while installing it on the netbook). Anyway, the old one works.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert