Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 10-26-2008, 03:30 PM   #1
sarikan
Zealot
sarikan began at the beginning.

Device: none
My little review

Ok, it has been 5 days since I received my device, and it is time to write down a few things for the curious;

1) The screen size is wonderful. After some tweaking, usually selecting page flow mode, A4 size pdfs, which I'm responsible with reading are displayed very nice in terms of font size. One thing I've noticed about the screen is, depending on the angle of the light source and the color of the light (white, yellow, natural sunlight etc), the contrast and general sharpness of the screen seems to change considerably, at least for me. It is funny, but I guess I get the most satisfactory results with sunlight, but that's not an easy thing to find in London I sometimes get the feeling that the screen kinda gets yellowish, and contrast seems to decrease, but I am not sure about it, and if there are any other owners in London, I'd love to get together for a beer and compare devices, just to make sure the display we have is same.

2) Software is buggy. I've been in the software industry for over 12 years now, so i can see the situation in irexx, hit the market with a "usable" product, and work even harder to clean the bugs. There is great potential for improving usability, and major changes that can provide this seems to be included in the software update roadmap, which can be found in this forum.

3) The battery is certainly not enough for me. That's got to do with the potential of the device. I was in a 2 day conference this week, and if the battery could suffice, I'd probably be using it from 9.30 to 6.30 for two days to get notes and take a look at relevant stuff. There is still hope here, for standby between page flips can make a huge difference. Still, I'll get my hands on a mobile charger as soon as darn bank account is opened and I get a debit card. (any shops in London where I can find Tekkeon?)

4)There are major ergonomics errors like putting the usb connection to the bottom. Spoils the whole experience whether you charge from computer or a mobile charger. A spot in the left or right long side, close to top would be better. However, a software update that allows 180 degree returns can easily handle this situation. Combined with a right angle mini usb adapter, we can have an acceptable solution. Still, I can't accept the fact that they could not see this coming.

5) The buttons' sensitivity and responsiveness of software to them creates problems. I guess these can be handled also. It is easy to hit a button accidentally and wait for 5 sec to go to previous screen unintentionally, from which you may very well come back in another 5 secs. I do not want to waste this 10 secs, so I usually swear loudly

6) The status of the companion software is a shame, and that's another one I'd like to see fixed.

7) The device does remarkably good when it comes to comics. I've scanned a few pages from my sandman collection, and the results were very satisfactory for me. I guess 16 shades is the trick here. I can not even imagine how I would feel if Irex made a color screen based device....

8) I'll definitely look for a hard case made for a 15" laptop, or something like that. I usually carry around a backback with my laptop in it, and I can't think of putting this thing in that backpack with the pressure that'll be caused by millions of other things in the backback.

Conclusion: Even if there is a long road ahead for the software, especially due to size and resolution, I do not think any device on the market is a competitor for this device at the moment. Software is what my work and studies has been all about, so I can always find ways to make most of this device. People in UCL and friends from LSE have been very interested in it, and if the price tag was not around a whole months expense for most of them, excluding the rent, I'm sure they would be in line for theirs.
If irex does not wait too long for the updates, they'll certainly have a killer product. I'd love to support these with pictures, but I've left a significant part of my precious gadgets, books, dvds etc at home during moving to London (airport baggage prices...), which includes my camera too.
Still, in case you think I can give answers to specific questions, please let me know.

Kind regards
Seref
sarikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 03:49 PM   #2
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Yes, there is a consistent theme here from most of us regarding the issues and desires. I do hope iRex are on the ball and it doesn't take too long to sort out the issues. I must say though I do find these capacitive buttons a bit of pain, give me a real one anytime, or allow me to turn the device on it's head for writing so the "menu" button doesn't keep getting hit. I could always rotate the template files before saving them... only just thought of that. (I can't lock it as if I'm writing the menu don't work in full screen)
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2008, 04:47 PM   #3
sarikan
Zealot

I guess the only point that will not change, among the points above is the angle/nature of light, and its effect on screen. When you get it right, it is amazing, but there is a noticeable difference between other conditions and this "perfect" condition, which is kind of irritating for me. Also I sometimes get the feeling that a page does not look as good as the previous or next one, especially if the general ratio of black/while in the page changes.
Maybe I'm getting too picky

Kind regards
Seref
Old 10-26-2008, 06:35 PM   #4
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
I don't find it much worst than a p book. Dependant on the light, one page may be in more or less shadow than the other, same with any of the e-ink readers. It may be due more to how you hold the device as you change pages etc. I certainly notice difference in the degree of "whiteness" dependant on how the light falls on the page, but that is teh same with my Cybook & the Dr1000s
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:04 AM   #5
Bokkie
Enthusiast
Bokkie began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarikan View Post
...but that's not an easy thing to find in London...
Seref,

Where did you get yours from? I'm having a bit of trouble trying to find a shop in or around London that has them on the shelf so I can look at it before committing. I believe there is a DR 1000 SW model as well. Is that what you got?

Peter.
Bokkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2008, 03:07 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You won't find it in a shop anywhere. Strictly mail order, I'm afraid.

All eInk screens vary drastically according to lighting conditions. I prefer to read at home using a "daylight" reading light - ie a bulb whose output simulates the spectrum of sunlight.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 02:41 PM   #7
sarikan
Zealot

Libresco is the answer here. I made a couple of phone calls for a couple of days; and gave my credit card info on the phone. Received the device with next day delivery.
They were quite nice and helpful, and they really helped me out to get my device, since i had a non-uk credit card etc.
I suggest you get in touch with them, you can find the sale support number under the support section in Libresco web site.

Kind regards
Seref
Old 11-05-2008, 02:43 PM   #8
sarikan
Zealot

And by the way, as far as I know there is no SW yet? Was not there when I bought mine at least. I have DR1000S, and even with the initial set of problems, a lovely device indeed That screen rocks..
I'd certainly be interested in it if they had SW back then.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:45 PM   #9
sarikan
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
All eInk screens vary drastically according to lighting conditions. I prefer to read at home using a "daylight" reading light - ie a bulb whose output simulates the spectrum of sunlight.
Exactly my experience. I've found an ideal place at my box(ish room) With right angle and light, the display becomes very sharp and paper-like.
The interesting thing is, natural sunlight gives the absolute best experience for me.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:07 PM   #10
Bokkie
Enthusiast
Bokkie began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarikan View Post
Libresco is the answer here...find the sale support number under the support section in Libresco web site.
Thanks, I have their number and will call them soon. I'm still researching the reviews of the device. Maybe someone can answer this for me which I did punt for a response in another thread? Apart from PDF does it and if so, has anyone tried the ubiquitous Word document files?
Bokkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:49 PM   #11
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man
allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo, Nook Classic,Color,ST/Glow, iRex DR1000, Sony 505, REB1100&1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokkie View Post
Apart from PDF does it and if so, has anyone tried the ubiquitous Word document files?
Not out of the box (as per their website) But you can export your document from Word to a PDF file, even straight to the DR1000's SD card. I'm more of an OpenOffice user myself, but I believe either Word has it built-in already or it certainly works via Adobe's downloadable plugin.
allovertheglobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 02:06 AM   #12
kreg
kreg began at the beginning.

Device: DR 1000s
I don't see any value in the companion software at all. I run the update check every day, but I use Microsoft's free SyncToy to keep the device in sync with an eBookReader folder on my machine. What could possibly be easier?
kreg is offline   Reply With Quote