Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-14-2008, 08:01 PM   #32
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
While I agree that standardization is a good thing. I personally do not like the way the epub versions look on my reader. I prefer the text to be fully justified.

Both of the examples come from Feedbooks, one I converted to LRF using Calibre the other loaded just as an epub. If I could be assured that all epub files that I purchased could be converted to LRF I would be all for buying epub books.

Note:
i do not know how the sony handles these files for the moment, however the beauty of epub is that it is a very flexible and powerful format. if the text cannot be justified on the sony, it should be trivial to modify the css formatting and apply justification to the file. if i've understood, kovid is working on epub support for calibre ; if this feature has not yet been incorporated into calibre or similar, it probably soon could be. you might ask him about it ; i imagine that you are not the only one who prefers justified text (i personally don't, unless i can manage hyphenation / kerning etc. which is not yet possible on reflowable text).
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2008, 10:48 AM   #33
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Moot point deleted.

Last edited by daffy4u; 08-19-2008 at 03:31 PM.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 10:59 AM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i imagine that you are not the only one who prefers justified text (i personally don't, unless i can manage hyphenation / kerning etc. which is not yet possible on reflowable text).
What do you mean by "not yet possible"? MobiPocket, for example, supports hyphenation as does Microsoft Reader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 11:03 AM   #35
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What do you mean by "not yet possible"? MobiPocket, for example, supports hyphenation as does Microsoft Reader.
i've never seen an automatic hyphenation that looked good. i'm really picky.
Advert
Old 08-16-2008, 11:07 AM   #36
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
On devices like the Gen3, Mobi rarely chooses to hyphenate a word unless you choose a very large font size, or have extremely long words on the line. On PDAs, it does it a lot more (because the lines are shorter). It seems to choose perfectly reasonable places to hyphenate, in my experience.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 11:12 AM   #37
zelda_pinwheel

i find that justified reflowable text has irregular spaces between words and i don't like the way it looks. you can see this in the screen shot above ; look at the line "blue drilling, worn and" for example. when i justify text for print, i manage the linebreaks and kerning manually, sometimes line by line. the idea is that if you look at a bloc of text and squint you should see a uniformly grey rectangle. since this is not possible in reflowable text i prefer to display aligned left, which is easier to read anyway. i rarely use justified text online (reflowable), unless a client specifically requests it. it's perhaps a product of my profession and i imagine it's also a personal preference. if you prefer justified text that's a question of your own personal taste as well. that's one of the nice things about ebooks, is each person can have the presentation they prefer.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:04 AM   #38
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Getting back sort of on topic, I have noticed that my Amazon Recommendations has started to shift a bit toward the things that I have been requesting. Sort of a subtle thing, but has anyone else noticed?
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:07 AM   #39
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Getting back sort of on topic, I have noticed that my Amazon Recommendations has started to shift a bit toward the things that I have been requesting. Sort of a subtle thing, but has anyone else noticed?
yes, definitely, and i wouldn't even say it was a subtle thing. i find it rather amusing, actually.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:01 PM   #40
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
I've gone ahead and requested these from Sony and Amazon, I'd like some assistance from you guys now.
The Golden Notebook by Doris Lessing. ISBN-10 006093140X.
Amazon page
I should note that there are other Doris Lessing books on the Sony store by the same publisher as The Golden Notebook, so it shouldn't be like pulling teeth to get the ebook published.

Sightseeing by Rattawut Lapcharoensap. ISBN-10 0802142346.
Already available for Kindle (and I made a note of that when I requested it from Sony).

Kristin Lavransdatter by Sigrid Undset. ISBN-10 0143039164.
Amazon link
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 01:10 PM   #41
zelda_pinwheel

clicky clicky.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:52 PM   #42
cush
Virtual Staggerwing Flier
cush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle (and an iMac)
Here's some James Clavell novels that I would appreciate some clicks on.
Tai-Pan
Noble House
Gai-Jin
Shogun

Thanks- I've been clicking away on this thread every day.
cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:10 AM   #43
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Clicked and away!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:22 AM   #44
zelda_pinwheel

yes, me too, clicky clicky times 4.
Old 08-23-2008, 06:52 AM   #45
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Um , isn't it a bit deceitful to request eversions unless you intend to actually purchase them?

I get the impression people are clicking on books they'll never buy.

How will publishers know how popular ebooks genuinely are if we're giving them distorted feedback?
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!, kindle, publisher, request books, sony