Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-20-2008, 09:14 AM   #1
honeybunny
Connoisseur
honeybunny has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 2 GSM
Review of FrankN's Handmade Kindle Case

Yesterday I received my handmade Kindle Case from FrankN. I paid $30 for it, including shipping.

Shipping was very prompt. The item was as described and pictured.

I will illustrate my review with pictures tonight after I take them.

First Impressions
--------------------
The case reminds me of a cloth book-cover, such as you see people putting their Bibles in. It's not frilly or quilted or anything like that, I just don't see that many other cloth-covered books. The material is cotton.

The front and rear cover both appear to be heavy cardboard covered with several layers of the cotton (or there might be a really thin poly-fill underneath the cotton) for padding. The cloth is continuous along the outside of the cover, like a book. The spine is backed with leather, suede-side toward the Kindle. At least I think it's leather, it smells like leather. The spin has a lot of flexibility which allows the front of the cover to be folded behind the Kindle very easily with no bulk.

There is a pocket about 2" deep on the inside of the front cover. My iPod Nano fits in there easily, but doesn't stay very well. I think the pocket is meant for paper or something else that is really thin. You wouldn't want to put pens in there unless they would fit side-ways, because the part that stuck up above the pocket would come into contact with the screen of the Kindle.

The Kindle is secured into the case by two corner holders, on the left-hand side. They appear to be some sort of plastic with a layer of rubber laminated to them. The rubber part is what comes into contact with the Kindle, and is grippy enough that it doesn't slip at all. The corner holders are sized perfectly for the Kindle.

There is also a Velcro dot positioned at the center of the right side. The other half of the Velcro is attached, with an adhesive backing so you can put it on your Kindle if desired.

The case has a Velcro closure. To me, the closure feels like it's on backward, because the Velcro part is at the back of the case instead of the front. But that's not a big deal. I also feel like the closure is a little bit on the long side and could have been made about 1/2" shorter.

When you look at the back of the case, you see three brass rivets. They attach the corner braces inside the case, which anchor the Kindle. The brass is a nice finishing detail. I wish the closure had used a brass rivet as well, instead of Velcro.

The back of the Kindle does not seem to lie flush with the back of the case. It seems like the corner clips hold it up a little. That may be alleviated by actually using the Velcro dot as well.

Overall the case is very nice, very well constructed. It is at least as protective as the original Kindle case, and much more stylish. All of the stitching is done very neatly, and I appreciate the leather and brass details.

Conclusion: Well worth $30. Beautiful craftsmanship. He could ask a bit more for this case if he tweaked some of the details (Snaps instead of Velcro, making the corner clips a little more elegant looking).

Last edited by honeybunny; 05-20-2008 at 09:31 AM.
honeybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:26 AM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Tsk, tsk, I don't see any pictures!
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2008, 09:31 AM   #3
honeybunny
Connoisseur

"I will illustrate with pictures tonight after I take them." I'll put it in bold. :P
Old 05-20-2008, 09:35 AM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Ah, great.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:22 PM   #5
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Interesting. How do you access the two switches on the back? An opening in the cover, or can the corner be pulled away easily enough to get to them?
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2008, 12:24 PM   #6
honeybunny
Connoisseur

You just un-stick the Velcro button and it's easy enough to reach back behind teh cover and get to the switches. Even easier if you remember which one is which and don't have to look. But not a big deal.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:31 PM   #7
honeybunny
Connoisseur

Pictures here: http://flickr.com/photos/farmfoto/tags/kindle/
Old 06-05-2008, 10:56 PM   #8
kkd
kkd began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Red face contacting FrankN

How did u contact FrankN regarding his homemade kindle cover? i searched but could not find his website. I'd appreciate any help in locating him. thanks
kkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 10:09 AM   #9
honeybunny
Connoisseur

I PM'd him. His website is linked from his profile. Also if you search eBay for 'Kindle Cover' his work really stands out. I don't want to out his eBay ID without his permission. though.
Old 06-16-2008, 03:25 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The cover you linked to looks quite nice.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 06:14 AM   #11
honeybunny
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The cover you linked to looks quite nice.
Thanks. Those are my pics of my cover. I enjoy it!